Review Dees v Tricolours: the Good, Bad & Fugly under the Roof

Remove this Banner Ad

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not even in the same ball park
Best 22 player who wanted longer contract more money vic to vic club. It wasnt that we didnt want him. Tippa could want more money longer contract. Both not originally from Vic. Dont know how small your ball park is but yeah

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The biggest flaw in our game IMO for multiple seasons now has been delivery to forwards, you would think at some point they would try our best ball user further up the ground. Has never looked a natural defender for mine and while I think his composure and skill coming out of defense is valuable surely the time has come to at least give it a try.
Absolutely. Said it earlier in the week as well. We are crying out for competent ball use and it’s not happening. Fritsch finally got moved forward. Salem has to play on a wing.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
You're really missing out there. Umpires shouldn't be ignored - they're there to be hated.
Yeah really missing out on campaigners blaming umpires when im from perth. Couldnt possibly think of what thatd be like

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Attended today.

Marvel Stadium has no atmoss. Umpiring was poor - mainly in our favour - but just in general terrible. That free against Gawn to Dunkley before half time. * me.

Positives I feel like Petracca is nearly there. He's 80% of the player we'd hoped he'd be and almost had a mini breakout this year. Needs to eliminate the 30m set shot fades and forward 50 turnovers to go further. He might he might not. He probably won't. But I reckon he's had a solid two months.

Brayshaw on the other hand..... Boy oh Boy wowee. Gone from 3rd in the Brownlow to VFL standard at present. He's lucky we have nobody good enough to replace him.

May is a good footballer. But I remember saying that about Hibberd when he arrived, All Australian form and all. Was he always this one sided and rushed? I doubt it.

Jordan Lewis should get a farewell game next week then let's be done with it. Fantastic career and some good moments with us but time has come. No need to play him after next week.

Said it last week and will say it again, Petty is a significant upgrade on OMac. It might just be a 2013 Toyota Corolla over a rusty 2001 Hyundai Excel, but it's still an upgrade.

Keep Fritsch forward.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Pardon the intrusion. Well battled from your mob today. Never gave up or put their heads down. Tried hard all day. Umpires almost got them over the line too. Some impressive young players on your list though. Kyle Dunkley will be a gem. Still a developing young side. Will be hard to beat in a few years I reckon. Goodluck for the rest of the season and beyond.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah really missing out on campaigners blaming umpires when im from perth. Couldnt possibly think of what thatd be like

Everyone has to hate the umpires in their own way. If you don't like how others abuse them, find your own unique way of expressing your displeasure.

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pardon the intrusion. Well battled from your mob today. Never gave up or put their heads down. Tried hard all day. Umpires almost got them over the line too. Some impressive young players on your list though. Kyle Dunkley will be a gem. Still a developing young side. Will be hard to beat in a few years I reckon. Goodluck for the rest of the season and beyond.
Mate if the umpires almost got us over the line they definitely stood up and got you guys over the line in the 4th quarter. Jog off and whinge about umpiring on your own board.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
So..Carlton play the Suns next week and we play the Eagles. We will officially be second bottom after next week. A monumental disaster of a season. The only game I see us getting close to winning for the rest of the year is against the Saints. And they have our measure tbh as their outside run is so much better than ours. Carlton's only game I think they will win is against the Saints also. I cannot believe we are a genuinely good chance now of finishing 17th! Today's effort was ok. Although you could question several players based on their lack of possessions. So maybe we didn't put in a great effort today? I don't know anymore. Goal kicking is putrid. Tackling is way down which maybe shows lack of effort. Skills are deplorable at times. After 3 seasons now in charge Goodwin still cannot get our connection anywhere near right moving forward. It was deplorable in the Casey game as well. Desperately need blokes who can hit targets.

Good

Gawn/Preuss combo. Not sure it clicked for either down forward, but they will dominate hit outs and monster most teams. We are just too stupid to take full advantage of it..

Viney. I feel he was our best today. And he's played well last few weeks. Maybe he's turned a corner. 30 touches and 7 tackles. He was far and away our best mid.

Petty. Well at least we have found an instant replacement for TMac for the remaining games. Looks better than the Weid already! Not sure he will kick 3 every week, but he presented well enough after a shaky start getting in the way of Gawn/Preuss. He will surely gain some confidence from the game. Kicks it well too.

Fritsch. Finally moves forward and has impact. Messed up at the end, but he is a forward, so leave him there. He's good for 2 a game.

May. Has been fantastic since coming back fit. Kept their most dangerous forward to one behind. Looked ok going forward as well. Hopefully that back 6(arguably our best back 6 in decades) can play the remainder of the season together.I really hope Goody doesn't stuff around with the back 6.

Bad

Umpiring. Oh boy. Both teams had some shockers. That Gawn infringement was a disgrace and one of the worst free kicks I have ever seen paid. Another part of our great game that is getting worse every season.

Hannan. Time for a spell mate. Probably did enough last year to not be trade bait end of season, but his season has been putrid. 3 possessions today. That's simply not good enough. And 1 tackle. I'd rather see Spargo out there, and he's nearly as bad. Cannot be deemed best 22 after his efforts this season.

Selections/Jetta. Looked way off the pace. But It's not his fault. He wasn't ready to play a full AFL game. How many times have we selected blokes this season who were either under done or proppy? Maybe play one of Lever(who was ok) or Jetta, but not both. Jetta needed a full game in VFL first. Selections have been horrible this season.

Ugly

Goalkicking/Decision Making. Both these have been rubbish all season. Too many dumb footballers on our list. Even a gun like Oliver has played dumb all season. Our shots on goal(as well as most teams to be fair) have been deplorable all season. Why don't we invest in a goalkicking coach? Duh!

Goodwin. Let Dunkley run free all game and ultimately cost us the game. Are we tanking? Maybe? It just reminded me of when Carlton let Travis Johnstone run around untagged for the whole game. 39 touches and 2 goals to add to his 15 tackles. 12 of our players combined doesn't even add up to 15 tackles. Put a hard tag on him to not allow him to get to the contest and make him bloody earn a kick! You could see halfway through the 1st quarter that he needed to be shut down. Yet was allowed to run free all game! If we are legitimately tanking, then ok, makes sense. But If we were genuinely trying to win the game(which I think we were), then that is disgraceful coaching.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm definently a fan of his but he's been pretty crap. He's a gut runner not a small forward. I have no idea why we play him forward when he's elite attribute at AFL level is his running, he should be on the wing getting back to help our defence and then screaming forward when we break. We are chasing Langdon who does the same thing as ANB

Langdon is no star but he is a significantly better player than ANB.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've seen us get belted & watched a number of meh games over the years but I honestly had to force myself to keep watching after half time. I have lost not only passion for the game but today I honestly could not give a s**t if we won or lost. The umpiring is a disgrace & its so hard to understand most of the time why a free has been awarded.
A few observations:
Petty looked OK up forward. Only 19 years old so still a bit of improvement. Second defender with iffy disposal to go forward & be quite an accurate shot for goal.
Jetta should not have played. Once again the selectors have felt the need to rush back a player before they are ready. Good to see they are learning.
Jones had a 'mare. His tidy disposal from the past few week eluded him today & him playing for free kicks is starting to become his most notable feature.
Why are we playing Lewis? If we are that dependent on his direction we might as well draft Paul Roos & he can run out the ground for us next season. We don't owe a Hawthorn great anything.
There are a lot of Wagneresque players in the team atm who can play a role but offer no spark or X-Factor. Thats why its surprising to see a player like Baker get dropped two weeks ago.
I was going to write more but why bother. In closing we are not only s**t but we play an unwatchable brand of football.

Petty was good. Hopefully he never plays defence again. Salem, Gawn, May, Petracca also did more good than bad.

The rest of them? Where do you start? Preuss looked like he'd never seen a footy in his life. Frost was back to Bad Crazy Frosty: totally misjudging aerial balls and losing his opponent. He will never 'turn the corner', he'll always be a form player who is never settled in the 22. Lockhart, ANB, Hannan - our 'dynamic smalls' were horrible. Brayshaw did so much dumb s**t. Oliver didn't do much. Harmes and Viney were plain ok. Lewis actually did ok on Bontempelli despite it being a clear mismatch. Lever and Jetta looked rusty as hell - and we missed Hore badly.

Did you honestly take time out of your day to come here and write this?

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Concerns me how Carlton and North have sacked their coaches and improved significantly. Really over this game plan and this approach. Players are literally going backwards. Absolutely horrible.

Dimma and Bucks didn’t get sacked and turned things around

Brad Scott had 10 years, Bolton was into his 4th year.

If we are in the bottom 4 this time next year Goodwin will be under massive pressure

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dimma and Bucks didn’t get sacked and turned things around

Brad Scott had 10 years, Bolton was into his 4th year.

If we are in the bottom 4 this time next year Goodwin will be under massive pressure
Hmmm, I know what you’re saying, just that it’ll take a monumental effort for Goodwin to turn it. I think if we are 4-5 weeks in to next year and playing horribly then he might get sacked.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Umpires almost got us over the line? I guess WB supporters would know what that’s like.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hmmm, I know what you’re saying, just that it’ll take a monumental effort for Goodwin to turn it. I think if we are 4-5 weeks in to next year and playing horribly then he might get sacked.
If Goody does get sacked next year there should be some serious heat on Pert & the board for re-signing him to such a long contract so soon.

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good : Petty. Can take a grab and kick straight. Makes me less nervous when he’s playing forward.
Salem , Viney , Trac and Gawn were ok. May was good and already looks like he cares more than 90% off the list.
Only 6 weeks to go is a positive I guess.

Bad : why are we creating a spot for Lewis in the team by playing him as a tagger. Either get an untalented scrubber (which we have plenty of) such as Matt De Boer or a kid to do the hard tag role or idk maybe even let James Harmes have a go at it.
Forward entries are just horrendous.
Angus Brayshaw. He may not be playing the role he wants or the role that’s best for him. That doesn’t mean you can’t give 100%. His tackling efforts today were pathetic. Should be dropped.
Ugly: Hamish McLachlans commentary.

You guys were shithouse, lucky you played us in our second or third worst performance for the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back