Review Dees v Tricolours: the Good, Bad & Fugly under the Roof

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm, I know what you’re saying, just that it’ll take a monumental effort for Goodwin to turn it. I think if we are 4-5 weeks in to next year and playing horribly then he might get sacked.

But what is the difference between now and round 5 next year. I think it would take something drastically bad to not see out next year.

Dimma and Bucks didn’t get sacked and turned things around

Brad Scott had 10 years, Bolton was into his 4th year.

If we are in the bottom 4 this time next year Goodwin will be under massive pressure
Tigers and Pies didn't finish 17th, which is a distinct possibility for us.

Good: through some remarkable stroke of cosmic luck I was born in a liberal democratic country above the poverty line.

Bad: despite living in a great country we tolerate a body politic willing to lock up and deprive others of their liberties who don’t fill out the correct pieces of paper in wanting to join our society.

Fugly: if I was locked up in Nauru or Manus Island, I wouldn’t be subjected to watching Alex Neal-Bullen trying to football.

Langdon is not the answer to our problems. He will compound them as he is a poor user of the ball. Brad Hill is the one we should be chasing hard. And even though we need young talent, i wouldn't be opposed to using our top 4 pick on a gun forward. No idea who that could be, but we need someone down there who looks consistently dangerous. Not convinced at all long term on TMac or Weid and our crumbing forwards are non existent in a period of our game where they are most important. We have none. Forwardline needs a massive reworking..

Langdon is not the answer to our problems. He will compound them as he is a poor user of the ball. Brad Hill is the one we should be chasing hard. And even though we need young talent, i wouldn't be opposed to using our top 4 pick on a gun forward. No idea who that could be, but we need someone down there who looks consistently dangerous. Not convinced at all long term on TMac or Weid and our crumbing forwards are non existent in a period of our game where they are most important. We have none. Forwardline needs a massive reworking..

Who's this magical gun forward

Who's this magical gun forward
Ah, i said no idea who it could be, but we clearly need one. Rumours Dogs are into Darling. Why aren't we?? How about chasing Peter Wright(which i still think we should have done instead if Preuss). What about throwing $$ at Oscar Allen or seeing if we can shake loose Jeremy Cameron(highly doubtful)? Lambert or Caddy from Richmond could be gettable? Anthony McDonald from Essendon hasn't re-signed, is he gettable(again doubtful but you never know in today's game)? Fogarty or Tom Lynch from Adelaide? Is Jamie Elliott gettable? What about Toby Greene or Himmelberg from Giants?

We will have a top 3 pick and a sprinkle of young talent to add to it which could give us bargaining power. Who knows. Who would have thought the Dogs would have got Boyd at the time? Lynch wasn't happy and left for Richmond. Hogan wanted to go home. Maybe some of the players Ive mentioned want more $$ or aren't happy at their clubs. Why have a mentality that these players aren't gettable? Players are more gettable than ever and our forwardline stinks nearly as much as our delivery into it.

Ah, i said no idea who it could be, but we clearly need one. Rumours Dogs are into Darling. Why aren't we?? How about chasing Peter Wright(which i still think we should have done instead if Preuss). What about throwing $$ at Oscar Allen or seeing if we can shake loose Jeremy Cameron(highly doubtful)? Lambert or Caddy from Richmond could be gettable? Anthony McDonald from Essendon hasn't re-signed, is he gettable(again doubtful but you never know in today's game)? Fogarty or Tom Lynch from Adelaide? Is Jamie Elliott gettable? What about Toby Greene or Himmelberg from Giants?

We will have a top 3 pick and a sprinkle of young talent to add to it which could give us bargaining power. Who knows. Who would have thought the Dogs would have got Boyd at the time? Lynch wasn't happy and left for Richmond. Hogan wanted to go home. Maybe some of the players Ive mentioned want more $$ or aren't happy at their clubs. Why have a mentality that these players aren't gettable? Players are more gettable than ever and our forwardline stinks nearly as much as our delivery into it.

Darling will be more than a top 3 pick, Wright is average as *.
Allen is from WA
Lambert is a bloody wingman
Caddy is a good 2nd tall.
Cameron isn't a key forward
Tom Lynch is a half forward and old
Greene is a gun and would cost more than 3
Fogarty is SA.

McDonald has had a bad year after being in the running for the Coleman, rather not throw the baby out with the bath water yet

His kicking is average at best
I don’t mind Langdon myself. But it is a bit disturbing that our trade moves look like those of a really strong list filling out some depth, and I don’t think we are that. I have a horrible feeling 2020 is going to be a very long year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t mind Langdon myself. But it is a bit disturbing that our trade moves look like those of a really strong list filling out some depth, and I don’t think we are that. I have a horrible feeling 2020 is going to be a very long year.

Langdons the exact type of player who looks good in a win and s**t in a loss. I would say rather get the Hill brothers for our 2020 first if we could.

We don’t need another key forward. That isn’t going to solve our issues. We’d be still delivering the ball to them in a sub par way. It won’t fix our issues. Mate we’ve been bemoaned week in week out as having the worst skills in the AFL, I’d believe that. We can’t use the ball and we are slow. We get cut up on the rebound. We need a genuine A grade mid.

Imagine putting McDonald in the Eagles forward line? He’d be kicking 60 every year.

Fugly.
The thing that s**ts me no end every week for years is the ease that the opposition exit from the backline after we kick a point and difficulty we have ever week.

After half time yesterday for example the bulldogs continued to get repeat entries after May, Salem etc keep kicking it long down the line to a pack.

We kick a behind the bulldogs kick the ball to a free player outside of the 50 and they are away. It is work rate? It is our plan to kick long down the line to the boundary? I think we kicked the ball in down the line to Mark Jamar for three years straight it was so predictable. Surely our game plan has moved on from that?

We need to reshuffle our list and our approach. I don’t think it’s the end of the world with us. We are disappointing sure, but we are probably only a few aspects away from being quite competitive again.

Fugly.
The thing that s**ts me no end every week for years is the ease that the opposition exit from the backline after we kick a point and difficulty we have ever week.

After half time yesterday for example the bulldogs continued to get repeat entries after May, Salem etc keep kicking it long down the line to a pack.

We kick a behind the bulldogs kick the ball to a free player outside of the 50 and they are away. It is work rate? It is our plan to kick long down the line to the boundary? I think we kicked the ball in down the line to Mark Jamar for three years straight it was so predictable. Surely our game plan has moved on from that?
It’s because we haven’t adapted to modern structures. We can’t work the ball around the ground up to half forward because we turn it over, so the obvious thing is to just kick it to a pack and hope for the best. We don’t use space, we are slow, and we just play predictably bad football.

Good: I just remembered we get an easier draw next year as a reward for being revolting

Bad: Mitch Hannan - the notion of him finding form in the AFL isn’t panning out so well. I’m less than convinced he would be effective in the VFL on current form. Also Preuss needs to understand that providing a marking target only works if you mark it occasionally.

Fugly: ANB. God only knows what this game was. Just terrible.

Off the charts is that yesterday I found myself saying FFS for the exact same reasons I have said FFS at Melbourne games for years. We never seem to make any structural improvements, we don’t leave players outside the stoppage for the handball receive, which makes our obsession with winning the stoppage literally pointless. Also we don’t crumb. We have multiple guys go up, but nobody stays down crumbing. Especially noteworthy for stupidity yesterday given we had two tall forwards out. We weren’t going to take many marks bombing it long, but still did it. We had a kind of disorganised cluster of blokes bring the ball to ground a couple of times, with nobody crumbing. Hilariously stupid. Oh and our forward ball movement was right back to its worst. In a game where our forward lineup literally demanded lowering eyes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back