Review Dees v Tricolours: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Definitely. Fair few comments here at the time about the risk of bringing both our ruckman back in underdone off lower leg injuries. Both Gawn and Jackson look to be struggling to cover the ground.

Yeah, a fit Max completely transforms your team. He’s the best ruckman I’ve ever seen live and his prelim was the best final I’ve ever seen by a ruck.

I know you lost a couple of games before he got injured, but I’m positive you would have won last night and that the game v us would have been a coin flip, had he been fit.

Goody throwing May forward late when down by a goal was a hilarious. The fact we were using him as a hit up target on the wing and not as a deep forward only added to the hilarity. Literally no idea what this was meant to accomplish. If youre going to make that particular move do it earlier when Weid was getting flogged constantly by Gardner, not with 2 mins to go

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Goody throwing May forward late when down by a goal was a hilarious. The fact we were using him as a hit up target on the wing and not as a deep forward only added to the hilarity. Literally no idea what this was meant to accomplish. If youre going to make that particular move do it earlier when Weid was getting flogged constantly by Gardner, not with 2 mins to go

Weid makes himself such an easy target doesn’t he. Just inexplicable how easily he ran under the ball and let a very average player outmark him. Does it way too often.

Real shame because he was much better in terms of getting on the scoreboard and crashing a few packs at times

Annoyed we lost a game we had the opportunities to win but not slitting my wrists. Both sides played well and it was a great game to watch. We moved the ball as well as we have all season and if we can keep that up it won't take much to tighten up our defence. I feel like we're very very close to playing our best footy.

Slander

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The bin:
May - for his kick in the last
Salem - for being awful
Harmes - for that kick to Melksham in the second
Petracca - for having little impact and missing two shots to potentially ice the game in the last
Jackson - for mentally checking out, enjoy Freo, you campaigner.
Viney - for missing handballs to teammates streaming inside 50 and dump kicking to Bulldogs players
Brayshaw - for some terrible kicking which resulted in goals
Gawn - 25 touches and 40 hitouts of nothing, feels like 2019.
Langdon - for a s**t game and being comprehensively out marked twice by Bailey Williams
Tomlinson - what the hell was that? Let Ugle-Hagan run riot.
Jordon - just a jobber. Gets a lot of it but does * all with it.
Rivers - gave us nothing off of half back
Weideman - uncompetitive when we needed him.
Petty - quite a few howlers
Pickett - set shot misses in the last

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fugly:
May kick/Macrae goal. Send him to the magoos!
Fritch kicking to ANB in the goal square instead of being his usual greedy campaigner self and blazing away at goal
ANB not having the smarts to draw a front-on free kick to salvage the Fritsch kick

Weid makes himself such an easy target doesn’t he. Just inexplicable how easily he ran under the ball and let a very average player outmark him. Does it way too often.

Real shame because he was much better in terms of getting on the scoreboard and crashing a few packs at times

His timing on leaps is quite pathetic.

Annoyed we lost a game we had the opportunities to win but not slitting my wrists. Both sides played well and it was a great game to watch. We moved the ball as well as we have all season and if we can keep that up it won't take much to tighten up our defence. I feel like we're very very close to playing our best footy.

It wouldnt surprise me if we over adjust and go back to 65-55 style of games from the way Goody spoke in his press conference. He'll kill any dare we have while the backline is a mess I reckon.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
His timing on leaps is quite pathetic.
He’s learnt nothing about holding his ground when there’s any contact as he approaches the ball. Has to be so much better at protecting his space and launching into the ball with his last step instead of acting like he’s going to be able to float across and mark it with no contact.

Always appears genuinely shocked when somebody puts any kind of body on him. “Aww I was gonna try and mark that 😔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good - Any illusions that we can just flick a switch and sweep to another flag should be well and truly over now.
- Played well in patches again .
- Not much else TBO .
Bad - Being in front late in quite a few matches and being beaten , have to question our desire .
- Tomlinson made U-Hagen look like Carey .
- Salem was s**t .
Ugly - To sum up , when a player decides the best option to go forward is to kick it to Kozzie sandwiched between English and Keith it makes me question just what is going on in the heads of our players .

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hard to think that we were 30 points up against Freo in Round 11, cruising to 11-0. Been a rough ride since, not getting the same vibes as last year. Who knows how the remaining rounds will play out, we may well miss top 4, but after the last couple of years, getting to attend an elim final at the G wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Hope the lads can pull something off over the next few weeks though, we’re clearly a very very good footy side.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hard to think that we were 30 points up against Freo in Round 11, cruising to 11-0. Been a rough ride since, not getting the same vibes as last year. Who knows how the remaining rounds will play out, we may well miss top 4, but after the last couple of years, getting to attend an elim final at the G wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Hope the lads can pull something off over the next few weeks though, we’re clearly a very very good footy side.
* me we are losing an elimination final against Collingwood at the G arent we lol

Excuse the intrusion. Max is probably my favourite opposition player, so much so that I even forgave him for last year’s prelim 😬

But he’s looked a completely different player since returning from injury, starting with him having zero impact against us at KP.

Those syndesmosis injuries are nasty - I remember Selwood doing one 4-6 weeks before finals one year, we rushed him back for finals ahead of his recovery schedule and he had no impact at all.

Do you think you brought him back too quickly? I’d almost wrap him in cotton wool now, rest him for the next 2 weeks, and try to get him cherry ripe for finals. I don’t know if it’s an injury you can play through to improve match fitness.

Good luck for finals.
Great post. Max simply isn’t covering ground or leaping like he usually does.

I think Browns knee injury has been similar. It’s an enduring one and his movement has been pretty bad this year.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Everyone says May is the general down back, but he's not, it's Lever. No surprise the backline looked disorganised yesterday with Lever out and May still running around with his tail between his legs.
I reckon they need each other, probably pretty as well now. If one of Petty, May or Lever is out we are disorganised.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
i think May going forward was probably because Naughton dropped back to defence to protect their lead and May just had to go with him.

i think May going forward was probably because Naughton dropped back to defence to protect their lead and May just had to go with him.

yeah, yet we had May leading up on the wing while Naughton was inside our 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back