Review Dees v Weagles - the Good, the Bad and the ugly with a cameo appearance from WCE Icon Ben Cousins.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It ended up a resultant POINT actually . Was crazy umpiring that the 2 holding the ball decisions just prior to the Jetta dangerous tackle werent paid , in fact all the players stopped because of the 2nd HTB . Dont let the facts get in the way of a good story tho Fox Footy .
* off back to your own s**t board campaigner

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Oscar baker has an average debut and it still rated more of a mention than another ripper game from Harmes. Its amazing how slow this board is to pick up on it. If he was a high draft pick people would be going nuts.

Damn dude, why so angry?

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Well, Melbourne had their opportunities but dead set, as usual Dean Margetts , player number 23 for the Eagles made the crucial decisions and non - decisions to get the the Eagles back in the game. the same true and tried method they do against Freo all the time.
I thought Margetts was banned from officiating Eagles matches.
Bad luck Demons, good game all night.

https://www.change.org/p/gillon-mclachlan-dean-margetts-jeff-daglish-no-more-derby-umpiring-games
How did you guys go this week?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Oscar baker has an average debut and it still rated more of a mention than another ripper game from Harmes. Its amazing how slow this board is to pick up on it. If he was a high draft pick people would be going nuts.
Oh do shut up.

You’re going weird.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I've been on this train of thought for a while, either I am weird or this is normal for me.

Debuts get way over exaggerated. Hore was labelled rubbish VFL depth by a few after his debut.
Hore played like rubbish VFL depth in Round 1. And from memory got dropped straight away after that performance. Has been exceptional since coming back into the side. I don't think anyone is getting carried away with Baker's debut game. If they are then they are delusional as he was probably our worst player. Like I've said before, people see what they want to see. He got caught holding the ball 3 times and only had 7 possessions. struggled to find the pace of the game, but he was playing against the reigning premiers on their home deck. I agree with some others to let Petty and Baker play a few more games. Season is over so let's see if these two can show some improvement like Hore has.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hore played like rubbish VFL depth in Round 1. And from memory got dropped straight away after that performance. Has been exceptional since coming back into the side. I don't think anyone is getting carried away with Baker's debut game. If they are then they are delusional as he was probably our worst player. Like I've said before, people see what they want to see. He got caught holding the ball 3 times and only had 7 possessions. struggled to find the pace of the game, but he was playing against the reigning premiers on their home deck. I agree with some others to let Petty and Baker play a few more games. Season is over so let's see if these two can show some improvement like Hore has.

So you proved my point. Hore played one game and they thought it would define his career. Give Baker far more time to show what he can do

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Holy hell, what a confusing sport. Can’t imagine there’s another one, where there is so much fundamental disagreement about how 60-70% of the players perform.

General agreement here seems to center around:

Good: Harmes, Gawn, Salem, Melk

Bad: OMac, Lewis

Everyone else 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s very entertaining.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Harmes is fantastic.

He would now be in my top 50 in the afl. Of he can hit the scoreboard a little more, he becomes elite.

Right now, he's one of our most important players alongside gawn and Oliver.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Harmes really turned it up a notch or two the last half dozen games of 2018, and he’s continued that trend this season, adding a willingness to go for goal when the opportunity presents. I think in my season 2018 review I had him ranked as the 7th-8th best player but right now he’s either one or two with Max imo.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I've been on this train of thought for a while, either I am weird or this is normal for me.

Debuts get way over exaggerated. Hore was labelled rubbish VFL depth by a few after his debut.
I’m only going nuts over Oskar because he’s a very high pick. I hate Harmes

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Go circle screenshots in your lab thread

The moment PG cracked it
20190519_162747.jpg

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 26

Oliver 22
Brayshaw 21 wing
Stretch 21 wing
Jones 20
Harmes 18
Viney 17
Baker 10 wing
Petracca 1

Rucks:
Gawn 25
T.Smith 1

1st Half - 12

Oliver 10
Stretch 9 wing
Jones 9
Viney 9
Brayshaw 8 wing
Harmes 7
Baker 7 wing
Petracca 1

Gawn 11
T.Smith 1

2nd Half - 14

Brayshaw 13 wing
Oliver 12
Stretch 12 wing
Jones 11
Harmes 11
Viney 8
Baker 3 wing

Gawn 14

Notes:
- The last analysed game where Brayshaw didn't have an inside start was Rd 5, 2018 - 21 Melbourne games analysed since. This is his first analysed game to not have an inside start and finish in your top 6 mids.
- Jones's first analysed game without a wing start since Rd 8, 2018
- Melbourne's lowest usage of their back-up ruck (at bounces at least) in analysed games - 47 Melbourne games analysed since 2016

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 26

Oliver 22
Brayshaw 21 wing
Stretch 21 wing
Jones 20
Harmes 18
Viney 17
Baker 10 wing
Petracca 1

Rucks:
Gawn 25
T.Smith 1

1st Half - 12

Oliver 10
Stretch 9 wing
Jones 9
Viney 9
Brayshaw 8 wing
Harmes 7
Baker 7 wing
Petracca 1

Gawn 11
T.Smith 1

2nd Half - 14

Brayshaw 13 wing
Oliver 12
Stretch 12 wing
Jones 11
Harmes 11
Viney 8
Baker 3 wing

Gawn 14

Notes:
- The last analysed game where Brayshaw didn't have an inside start was Rd 5, 2018 - 21 Melbourne games analysed since. This is his first analysed game to not have an inside start and finish in your top 6 mids.
- Jones's first analysed game without a wing start since Rd 8, 2018
- Melbourne's lowest usage of their back-up ruck (at bounces at least) in analysed games - 47 Melbourne games analysed since 2016

I don’t understand these stats, but thanks for posting. My eyes tell me that Oliver and Brayshaw are half the players they were last season.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t understand these stats, but thanks for posting.
Basically for every bounce during this game I'm taking note of your ruck, 3 inside mids and 2 wings and tallying things up at the end of the match to produce a summary of how often players started in the midfield at bounces. It isn't a deep analytical stat, but fans of teams who rotate a lot or are in a rebuilding phase seem to find it useful as a way to see how much midfield time their kids are getting vs. their vets. Some people use this as a comparison with a player's centre square clearances for the game to see how effective their players are being.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It's interesting Brayshaw wasn't used once at the centre bounce. Last year i remember him and Max being a pretty good combo in the middle. Shows that he's way out of form and the club is trying to find him a role on the field away from the middle.

Back