Review Dees v West Horsham Poort - the Good, Bad & Fugly with a Nod to the Toump Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Really like the improvement in Oscar McDonald and ANB. Having improving players like these guys will have us contending. Both played well today. Oscar 23 disposals must be a pb?

Hannan played a great game too.

Loved seeing Trengove out there. Was solid enough for another game. The cheers everytime he got the ball put a smile on my face.

Great to see Hogan and Gawn find a little form. Both faded a little, but set up the win. Hogan playing more up the ground was great to see too.

Tyson and Viney were huge early and again, were influential in setting up the win. Get Jones back and our midfield will be scary good.

Only bad really was Watts be he'll hopefully be better for the run.

Great win. Really important. The start was instrumental. Why can't we start games like that every time? I'll spew up if we lose next week..

Is this the first time we've won the week after Darwin?
I believe so.

But those who were always moaning about that, conveniently forget that we lost the following week most times because we were ******* rubbish sides, not because of the conditions.

Adelaide had no trouble dissecting Geelong after a SIX DAY BREAK!

The effects of playing in 25 degree heat is overrated.

Having said that I hope we scrap Darwin ASAP due to the home game factor. I'd even rather play in Shanghai!

The good;
Viney setting the tone early
Gawn and hogan back to their best
ANB good first half
Hibbered was amazing all day
Hunts run and Jettas one on ones
Tyson and Oliver in the midfield
The boys set up the win in the first half and held on. Today was super important win.....I've been holding onto this all year but we are finally a good football team.

The bad;
Criticism of Watts, have we not learnt to give guys coming off an injury lay off a chance to find their feet

The smile on Trenners face when Robbo interviewed him on the ground, thats what footy is about. Thought he was solid, I doubt he'll be best 22 going forward, but I hope at the very least he gets rookied next year.

Few thoughts:
-Hibberd, I say it every week, what a pick up. His 3rd quarter when we were under the pump was something else. B&F coming his way Id think.
- The tackling in the first quarter was as good as I've seen from a footy side, they ALL stuck. Completely shut down Ports run.
- Jettas second half
- on an individual level, Hunt changes the dynamic of the side probably more than 99% of the comp, so many plays are only possible because of his pace and hardness
- Melkshake, the campaigners growing on me
- Omac, few dodgy spoils but other than that thought he was solid as a ruck.
- Great to see Hogan bag a few.
-Hannan- yeah dog. Keep doing that s**t.

- Umpiring was atrocious, pretty much the only reason Port scored in the first half, didn't get any better, that 50 would be one of the softest I've seen.

It feels good to roll Kochies w***ers again brothers!

So good today against a good side after a long trip and a hard loss.

Watts was rusty, but he's going to be better for it.

Hogan was awesome, and worked well in tandem with TMac.

T leads in straight lines like Neitz used to.

Those three together will be a great trio. Not sure what it means for Weideman at this point in time.

Trengove faded late, but was such a safe pair of hands off half back and got us moving excellently. You could see the difference between him and Smith/Wagner/Vince turning it over or not getting near it.

Big shout out to OMac who I thought was excellent against a dangerous forward line. Jetta, Frost, Hibberd excellent as per usual.

JV and Salem returned with a bang.

Thought Hunt had a poor one, but s**t happens and he still took the game on.

I'm delighted with that :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like to add keeping port to 65 points is a bloody great effort considering their scoring power.
This. How good has our backline become? Really working well together. If you had of said at the start of the year TMac would be playing forward for most of the year, you'd be very nervous about points conceded. But Hibberd has been outstanding, Frost solid and gives good run, Hunt provides run and carry, Nev has found yet another level and Oscar keeps improving and is quite maligned on here unfairly tbh. Lewis drifting back and filling the hole can't be underestimated either. Keeping Port to 65pts is an amazing effort..

So good today against a good side after a long trip and a hard loss.

Watts was rusty, but he's going to be better for it.

Hogan was awesome, and worked well in tandem with TMac.

T leads in straight lines like Neitz used to.

Those three together will be a great trio. Not sure what it means for Weideman at this point in time.

Trengove faded late, but was such a safe pair of hands off half back and got us moving excellently. You could see the difference between him and Smith/Wagner/Vince turning it over or not getting near it.

Big shout out to OMac who I thought was excellent against a dangerous forward line. Jetta, Frost, Hibberd excellent as per usual.

JV and Salem returned with a bang.

Thought Hunt had a poor one, but s**t happens and he still took the game on.

I'm delighted with that :thumbsu:
Watts had a mare but first week back he gets a bit of reprieve. Did a couple of good things late in the match.

Hunt turned it over more often than normal but he's X factor so he'll have the odd game where it doesn't click.

Hibberd and Jetta were outstanding and Hannan seemed to be everywhere. Feels like he's getting better and better.

Milkshakes isn't doing a bad job of earning some love from supporters.

Trenners simply makes great decisions with the footy and any lack of pace seemed to be rarely if ever exposed in the back half role he was playing. He may well have a future in this caper yet.

With a nearly full strength side again and blokes getting back into form after injuries... we really could give these final 5 weeks a shake. 4 out of 5 would be fantastic and give us a chance of a home final
GWS is the only game we should lose on paper, but obviously North is North and i can't let go of recent StKilda history.

I'm finally optimistic but a loss next week and I'll probably be worried about missing finals again.

Well done MFC. Did not get the chance to see the game as was at my 2nd funeral in three weeks. (Quite seriously). But maybe im too hasty in ones recolection after today. Three funerals in three weeks might be more appropriate. Carry on biatches and enjoy the spoils. See you in September.
I hope not. It'll probably be in Adelaide.

Good
Jetta, just continues to win one on ones
Harmes, Frost, not all getting heaps of disposals but not turning it over
Hibbard, so many good touches
Milkshakes, 3 goals again, and 3 of our last 5 of the match. I was yelling at him to kick at goal in the last and he delivered
Hogan, kicked a few and second effort was back
Viney, immense in the first quarter
Lewis, settled is when they had a run on
Gawn, dominated in the first half
Trengove, welcome back and first half was good

Bad
Watts was a little rusty, will be better next week for our
Frost's tackle on Wingard

Ugly
Umpiring was available disgusting, don't look at the totals they murdered us with crap calls, long fifties, and not giving us advantage

A really good effort today. Looked like the Darwin effect was creeping in but the team dug in and the end was a great effort.
Great to see Hogan play with confidence and also great to see Trenners back.
And Viney playing after his injury was a massive effort.

The Mad Respect:

Jeff Garlett: For the week of hell that he had I thought 'no chance is he playing' to actually lining up and kicking one of the fuse-starters. When he did the salute to the heavens my heart just skipped a few beats. That is a real well-done son moment.

Jesse Hogan: You could see how much frustration he had for in the past couple of weeks and how he channelled that into a well crafted performance. If this is him at not even at his best, Look Out!

Jack Viney: Bloody hell what is this guy made of!? I mean he is either really tough or psychotic to be playing 2 weeks into an expected 6-week injury.

Jack Trengove: This guy never gave up on playing in the seniors and his persistence payed off. Plus from reports he was more powerful today. He has definitely earned his spot back. Hope he stays in the ones for a while.

Jack Viney: Bloody hell what is this guy made of!? I mean he is either really tough or psychotic to be playing 2 weeks into an expected 6-week injury.

I'll take psychotic for $200.

Im gonna play devils advocate on Trenners, I think he was just ok and was really only fed very uncontested touches whilst spreading the ball to other free people. Dont think he took on any risky kicks at all. Felt like we carried him more than he had any impact. ( In saying that it was amazing listening to the crowd cheer him when he got the pill)

Also im not a fan of the 'Hunt has X factor' so all good if he has a down game, has actually had a fairly average season since the first Adelaide game and just because he runs really fast doesnt mean his poor kicking can be excused. If Tyson or Wagner had kicked as poorly they were lashed and Hunt deserves it too. He went back to bombing it without thought and against a better rebounding side on the day could have cost us goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back