Review Dees v West Horsham Poort - the Good, Bad & Fugly with a Nod to the Toump Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

A good, solid win. Been really impressed with our ability to change gears and find a different game plan when things start going against us.

Really need to back it up next week now.

Yeah good point, off the top of my head that might have been the best combination of Roos and Goody footy we have played.

Wont say any thing that hadn't already been said.
Surprised that Melksham Bob's up and kicks a few.
Love Harmes game.

Commentary said PA had the tightest defence In the comp, leading to the least scores against, so unbelievable job dees Mids/Forwards to break that down.

Im gonna play devils advocate on Trenners, I think he was just ok and was really only fed very uncontested touches whilst spreading the ball to other free people. Dont think he took on any risky kicks at all. Felt like we carried him more than he had any impact. ( In saying that it was amazing listening to the crowd cheer him when he got the pill)

Also im not a fan of the 'Hunt has X factor' so all good if he has a down game, has actually had a fairly average season since the first Adelaide game and just because he runs really fast doesnt mean his poor kicking can be excused. If Tyson or Wagner had kicked as poorly they were lashed and Hunt deserves it too. He went back to bombing it without thought and against a better rebounding side on the day could have cost us goals.
I disagree on both points TK. I think Trenners did get quite a few hot potatoes and showed a lot of composure to move the ball on to someone who wasn't under the pump. Was the strongest part of his game as I saw it. His pace is always going to be an issue but if he can be a good decision maker with clean skills I reckon we will find a place for him.

On Hunt, in today's game where you constantly face an 18 man defence what Hunt does is the most valuable thing in the game, break lines and get the ball out the back. Him running the ball 20 metres and kicking it 50 just totally breaks down the defensive structure of the opposition. He just needs to not kick it to an uncontested opponent. If it goes to a 50/50 we are in front, particularly with Jeffy, Hannan and ANB lurking.

I disagree on both points TK. I think Trenners did get quite a few hot potatoes and showed a lot of composure to move the ball on to someone who wasn't under the pump. Was the strongest part of his game as I saw it. His pace is always going to be an issue but if he can be a good decision maker with clean skills I reckon we will find a place for him.

On Hunt, in today's game where you constantly face an 18 man defence what Hunt does is the most valuable thing in the game, break lines and get the ball out the back. Him running the ball 20 metres and kicking it 50 just totally breaks down the defensive structure of the opposition. He just needs to not kick it to an uncontested opponent. If it goes to a 50/50 we are in front, particularly with Jeffy, Hannan and ANB lurking.

Yeah I'm still holding fire on Trenners though because opposition will target him. Still didn't see anything to suggest his name isn't one of the last names on the whiteboard. It's never gonna be first few IMO.

Think you missed my point on hunt, didn't say he wasn't a valuable player just that he had a crap game. He ran the ball a few times and got himself 20m of space and then bombed it to 4 Port Adelaide players which is poor. Him and Tyson were our 2 worst with their kicking inside 50 and I noticed you mentioned Tysons so you can't ignore Hunts because he looks awesome when he runs.

That second half was a great indicator of how we will go in a final if we get there. Tough ugly contested footy with lots of tired players and a grind for every goal. We held up amazingly well. You could see what Roosy envisaged right there

That second half was a great indicator of how we will go in a final if we get there. Tough ugly contested footy with lots of tired players and a grind for every goal. We held up amazingly well. You could see what Roosy envisaged right there
That's what I liked. The ability to consume pressure. Port threw the kitchen sink at us and we just clamped down. It wasn't pretty, but necessary. That's very Sydney like. That's Paul Roos legacy right there. Couple that with Goodwins attacking flare and we are looking pretty good.

Also as a side note, Im not sure we played any better than last week really but there were 2 main differences.

When we bombed long this week our forwards through a combination of hard work and crappy defending brought the ball to ground and we were able to push up and pressure. Last week the crows marked everything and number 1 defence my ass adelaides back 6 is way better than Ports.

Contested footy. I thought we werent that bad last week but we were dominant this week. Last week adelaide could trust their inside brigade and then spread accordingly where as Port had to match our numbers at the contest so couldnt get any run an carry going.

Id still like us to work on forward entries though because we had 18 more than Port but those 18 were very low quality

Also as a side note, Im not sure we played any better than last week really but there were 2 main differences.

When we bombed long this week our forwards through a combination of hard work and crappy defending brought the ball to ground and we were able to push up and pressure. Last week the crows marked everything and number 1 defence my ass adelaides back 6 is way better than Ports.

Contested footy. I thought we werent that bad last week but we were dominant this week. Last week adelaide could trust their inside brigade and then spread accordingly where as Port had to match our numbers at the contest so couldnt get any run an carry going.

Id still like us to work on forward entries though because we had 18 more than Port but those 18 were very low quality
Hogan was much better at contesting. He will amaze himself if he keeps his head up and brings the ball to ground. If he can't mark it, kill it. He was good yeaterday.

I once heard Glen Archer say that David Neitz was one of the toughest blokes he played against. He said if he didn't mark it, he would smash into the contest and take out a body ensuring no one else would.

That's what hogan has to do. And I don't care about the knockers on Jack Watts. He has turned into a really important contested mark who is very hard to beat. He also has some real pig in him these days. Love it.

Our contested game was amazing yesterday. We just hit the contest so hard. It's one of our real strengths. I think between us and Sydney we do it the best.

Another good; that's the best game we've played at the G all year. We defended the space like we have at Etihad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan was much better at contesting. He will amaze himself if he keeps his head up and brings the ball to ground. If he can't mark it, kill it. He was good yeaterday.

I once heard Glen Archer say that David Neitz was one of the toughest blokes he played against. He said if he didn't mark it, he would smash into the contest and take out a body ensuring no one else would.

That's what hogan has to do. And I don't care about the knockers on Jack Watts. He has turned into a really important contested mark who is very hard to beat. He also has some real pig in him these days. Love it.

Our contested game was amazing yesterday. We just hit the contest so hard. It's one of our real strengths. I think between us and Sydney we do it the best.

Watts isnt close to being a 'real pig' mate.

This is an indicator of you being in Canada, if you were at the G it was ridiculous. Especially the three consecutive including the 50 at the start of Q3

Don't think Port got a massive advantage over the course of the day but it did look bad when they got gifted a couple of easy goals from either 50/50 calls or non-calls.

The worst part of the umpiring imo was the constant calling players back to take their kick. Completely took out our momentum and run and allowed Port to get back to set up their defence.

If Melbourne were able to regularly play like they did in the first half, for a whole game, the flag's a lay-down misere. I thought I detected an attitude of fierce and skillful attack on the ball for about fifteen minutes at the start of the second quarter last week, against Adelaide. This week, this attitude, game plan and skill stretched that to a half. Unfortunately, Adelaide showed themselves to be a very good side. Port Adelaide, not so much. The distinction between the two halves yesterday was not great v awful. It was initially great, and then it was a display of one of their other arrows in the quiver - a half of determined and, generally, mistake-free defensive footy saw a most satisfactory outcome.

Re: Umpires. The most accurate thing which can be said about those obsessed with these irrelevancies, is that it makes you sound like a Collingwood supporter. If that doesn't dissuade you from further futile postmortems on umpires, nothing will.

Last edited:

Are we talking about the Jack Watts that plays for Melbourne?! He is an average contested mark and has no pig in him whatsoever. He still looks and plays like an under developed first year key forward prospect. He's a classier version of the Weid with a bigger tank. Except Weid contests the ball way harder in the air than Watts.

I'm not to worried about Watts crashing packs, fact is he can nail matching winning goals on the run from the pocket or from a set shot anywhere inside 50.

Are we talking about the Jack Watts that plays for Melbourne?! He is an average contested mark and has no pig in him whatsoever. He still looks and plays like an under developed first year key forward prospect. He's a classier version of the Weid with a bigger tank. Except Weid contests the ball way harder in the air than Watts.
He is not an average contested mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back