Review Dees v West Horsham Port - the Good, Bad and Watts-ish

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not quite there yet. We'll make the finals but we're still 12 months away from being genuine contenders. We're like 80% good, 20% bad but the 20% bad is killing us. We've got to stop bombing it in long to the top of the square because we're burning more forward 50 entries than any team in the comp. Can't fault the effort, though. Proud of the boys even though we lost.

Umpiring a ******* joke.

That was Geelong again. I felt Melbourne winning would have been an upset, but really wanted that as a supporter after the first quarter.

The good-ish
Hannan and Fritsch did well. Just getting better and better I think.

The bad
Took an entire half to lower the eyes coming into the forward 50.
Team outplayed Port, and pretty much lost it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still too many one paced players with poor skills in this team.

OMac was towelled up.

Trac was nowhere to be seen after the 1st and burnt most of his opportunities anyway.

Hogan was invisible.

Our forward 50 entries were shocking.

Tyson was slow and largely ineffective.

ANB and Harmes offered a whole lot of nothing.

Salem had one nice goal but otherwise did SFA.

Jones just dumped it into the 50 at every opportunity. Lead by example, lower your eyes and pick a decent ******* option.

All of our third tall options up forward are as bad as each other. Pedo, Weid and Smith...none of them are offering anything at the moment.

EDIT: Will also admit the umpires were shocking but it should never have come down to them being the difference.

We have a serious problem in big games it's not just a media thing that everyone's making up, it's an actual problem.

It's frustrating but worth keeping in perspective. We're a young team that hasn't made finals for 11 years, so it's going to take a little while to learn how to win these ones. I'm disappointed, but that game left me with a lot more optimism than the Collingwood or Hawthorn games.

How do you win in every area except where it matters?

Typical pathetic club.

Port seem as surprised as any team I’ve seen. They knew how dominant we were.

Well done port.

We have a serious problem in big games it's not just a media thing that everyone's making up, it's an actual problem.
Nothing to do with big games, collingwood smashed us in the midfield and in this game we went back to last years tactic of kicking long into the forward line.

Too many players go missing when we play, robbie gray went missing in the first half but dominated the second...hogan just ran around.

Carried by the same players as usual today. Hibberd, Jones, Viney, Oliver, Jetta, McDonald, Brayshaw, Gawn. Lewis, Fritsch and Hannan played their role. Everybody else should be pretty ashamed of themselves, particularly Petracca and Hogan who went to water. 8-5, 7 wins against teams in the 11-18 range.

The good;
3/4 we won stoppages defended well
Viney oliver Gus
Jetta as always
Tmac keeps on keeping on
Fritsch had some big moments
Melkshams forward 50 kicking

The bad;
Not making the most of our dominant play

The ugly;
Umpiring.....one I will single out. Robbie gray free for too high against Gus. Guys jumps up hands up, gray drives his head into gus’ stomach. That’s play on or holding the ball. Same thing happened to Jetta just before 1/4 time that lead to eberts free.

We are doing a lot right, just not quite there yet. We still look shaky under pressure, dropped marks missed kicks, sloppy handballs. Even small things like not defending the goal line against Dixon. Give away an obvious free we all stop and let Ollie wines gallop off taking advantage.

But these things come with experience, and can be easily trained. We’ve got the core of being a good side, just need the confidence to bring it each week.

Game summary:
Didn't capitalise on opportunities in the first half.
Umpires kept Port in it with goals.
Free for the 'block' against Melksham ruined all our momentum.
It wasall downhill from there.

I'm salty and I'm out, can't be ****ed with losing at the moment. Not nearly as optimistic as I was a few weeks ago.

Not sure about this. We dominate in front of 10-25,000, go to water in front of 40+.
We didn't go to water tonight. We held tough, copped some horrendous injuries (Nev/TMac/TSmith) in-game which hit our structures and got reamed by the umpires. A ten-point loss isn't "going to water" in that context.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back