Review Dees v West Horsham Port - the Good, Bad and Watts-ish

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah that's a pissweak excuse, game was influenced by us having nearly 30 more inside 50s and having one less shot at goal. Umpires didn't cause us to butcher the footy all night. Umpires didn't cause Hogan and Petracca to be essentially invisible.

Every Bigfooty supporter blames umpires and it's only when your team loses. Port won because Gray Wingard Ebert and Westhoff made important plays and kicked important goals from minimal supply. No ******* way we are anywhere near that close if the I50s are reversed.

I thought we had the rub of the green with the umpires the first half. So what
Didn't help our scoring efficiency one iota
Any side should win a game when they dominate I50s and Clearances not just great sides.

Agree the umps didn’t cost us the game, they rarely cost any side a game. But it was frustrating as hell.

Agree with your previous posts about the defenders. Really trying to find a mix that works without lever. Our talls are inexperienced and small/mid sized art experienced and skilled but aside from Hibberd are slow. At least Jetta has good awareness and composure

Agree the umps didn’t cost us the game, they rarely cost any side a game. But it was frustrating as hell.

Agree with your previous posts about the defenders. Really trying to find a mix that works without lever. Our talls are inexperienced and small/mid sized art experienced and skilled but aside from Hibberd are slow. At least Jetta has good awareness and composure
The game sort of reminded me of France vs Australia. A very hard fought, technical victory to port. Very very very technical.

Nah that's a pissweak excuse, game was influenced by us having nearly 30 more inside 50s and having one less shot at goal. Umpires didn't cause us to butcher the footy all night. Umpires didn't cause Hogan and Petracca to be essentially invisible.

Every Bigfooty supporter blames umpires and it's only when your team loses. Port won because Gray Wingard Ebert and Westhoff made important plays and kicked important goals from minimal supply. No ******* way we are anywhere near that close if the I50s are reversed.

I thought we had the rub of the green with the umpires the first half. So what
Didn't help our scoring efficiency one iota
Any side should win a game when they dominate I50s and Clearances not just great sides.
I’ll see your high horse, and raise you a....

Any one on there high horse saying umpires didnt impact that game need to **** off..

Its all well and good to try and be the 'bigger person' but when a team kick 70% of there goals from free kicks or 50s and we get nothing from the umps anywhere near goals... thats bull s**t... 9 frees to 1 in the last quarter...

Totally out played them, there backline was solid and umpires got them ober the line..

Filthy

Seriously though, I never, ever blame the umps and am always on the side of thinking that if we were further in front, poor umpiring wouldn’t/couldn’t make a difference. Last night I’m comfortable to say that I think was different. Like I said, cracking contest between two pretty even teams. The score was close in the end and was a true reflection of where the two teams are in my opinion. And because f all that, the bad umpiring did have an impact. It decided the game last night.

Seriously though, I never, ever blame the umps and am always on the side of thinking that if we were further in front, poor umpiring wouldn’t/couldn’t make a difference. Last night I’m comfortable to say that I think was different. Like I said, cracking contest between two pretty even teams. The score was close in the end and was a true reflection of where the two teams are in my opinion. And because f all that, the bad umpiring did have an impact. It decided the game last night.
I just watched thr highlight package on the website and its all Melbourne doing awesome s**t followed by port getting free kicks or paid 50 50 marks.. Gussys mary should have been laid based on that highlight package too

Jetta has found the perfect balance of holding his man enough to slow them without giving away a free kick.
Bernie and Lewis can't play in a pressing defence, probably costs us 4-5 goals a week.

You do have to hand it to Port supporters though, they spent half the game booing the umpires when really they should have been cheering them. Very tough crowd to please

Perhaps more of an issue though is losing a match with 68 vs 39 inside 50's. That's absurd, something's definitely not right with our decision making / strategies when going forward.

That booing came from having that same bald-headed ***** of an umpire #freekickHawthorn us out of the game a few weeks ago.
We were watching that prick like a hawk...

You looked a lot like Port 2017 last night, I'm expecting a lot of good Port V Melbourne games in the next 10 years.

I'm about to enter coach more here but..
We can only control what we control. We could have made the umpires irrelevant. At the end of the day everyone could win if the umpires pay you 10 free kicks in a row, aside from that actually kicking the pill to your forwards helps alot more than any umpires can

Because being 2.5 wins 4 seasons into your coaching career you are doing something wrong. Goodwin has us 8-5 18 months into his career. Is he doing everything right no, but what coach is? What side is playing perfect footy all the time, no one. Overall balance Goodwin and co are doing a good job.

The way we played last night is not exactly how Goodwin wants us to play, he has shown he adapts well like the aggressive press. We won the contested footy and clearneces last night. Good comeback from last week.

Of all the things to teach a footy team, inside 50 kicking is the easiet part. Would you prefer we lace out players from only 35 insides 50’s because we can’t press a side or win a clearneces.

As I’ve said before pressure does strange things to footy teams and they revert to survival mode, or in our case bad habits from previous days. As we develop and get confident you will see this game plan Work exactly how Goodwin wants it to.
Not a St Kilda fan so what their coach is upto is irrelevant. I'm sure we would struggle if Hogan(McCartin) played like he did last night every week and Tmac(Bruce) went down too.

How does he want us to play then and why aren't we playing that way?

Isn't it his job as a coach to get the team to play the way he wants them to week in week out?

Why aren't our players developing these habits already Roos has essentially been gone for 2 1/2 years... are they reverting to Neeld gameplans when 90% weren't even on our list?

Not saying sack the bloke tomorrow but he's got some major deficiencies that he either isn't working on or isn't able to fix in his coaching abilities. If I can see it(and I know * all) how the * is the bloke who is getting paid an enormous amount of cash with a whole team around him unable to?

Missing Lever is having a huge impact on us, we barely took an intercept mark all night which is where you can get the transition goals. It also stops attacks dead whereas a spoil can invite forward pressure.

Let's be real here, neither our defence nor attack is good enough to win us a final. We concede way too many goals when the ball is in our end and alot of it is purely because Lewis and Vince are playing down there. Play Frost and Hunt and we cover half of those goals or at least slow them down.

That’s absolute bullshit. Maybe they’d save a couple caused by slowness. But cause equally as many due to their own, different limitations.

Man you are so reactionary topkent!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how the * do you have 70 inside 50s and kick 9 goals. Thought we would have learnt our lesson earlier in the year about flooding our own forward line, we were back at it last night. Umpires were frustrating but that game should have been over at 3/4 time. Didnt take our opportunities early and the writing was on the wall from there. Extremely disappointing result.

That’s absolute bullshit. Maybe they’d save a couple caused by slowness. But cause equally as many due to their own, different limitations.

Man you are so reactionary topkent!

Name a single moment where Lewis or Vince did something defensively brilliant.....
Now re watch the game and see how often Lewis man was used on transition which forced one of our blokes to leave his opponent and invite the over lap or kick to space. Hunt and Frost aren't anything special but their man can't run away from them and I'm not seeing a heap of zone slicing kicks from either Bernie or Lewis.

Lewis was by himself in the goalsquare when Dixon marked over Brayshaw. I thought his 'leadership' was supposed to solve that stuff.

Outsiders perspective - you guys are carrying too many one paced players. This year speed is king.

I think everytime a team loses its either 'defensive pressure' or " outside class and legspeed through the midfield' but with how aggressive zones are I think you do need some fleet of foot bastards. We have a few too many who aren't even average.

its so predictable now in big games for us we have blokes who don't stand up or make costly mistakes under the pressure of the big occasion.
Vince with his backhand free kick that cost us a goal and his deliberate out of bounds.
Hogan with his poor efforts and lack of team game because he doesn't like competing when outnumbered.
Petraccas constant fumbling of marks and ground balls.
Jones going into his shell and getting caught at the bottom of the packs holding the ball late in games when tired and just laying on the ball, at least attempt to make it look like you're trying to get rid of it DH.
ANB getting monstered by opponents and poor disposal under pressure.
Lewis can win the ball, but if he gets caught out of position its good night irene, as oppo can just stroll in to goal.
Topkent is right when he says we have slow blokes guarding too much space. its a fatal flaw in the game plan. teams can just make it tough for us to score by flooding our defence, knowing they can take their chances with scoring on rebound when we get caught out of position with a quick transfer of the footy.
I could put up with a slow defence if we actually were tall and could take intercept marks down back, but we are slow and undersized instead.

I agree with TK I don’t blame umpires but * me rhat Westhoff 50m wasn’t even there in the first place and secondly it was about 65m.

Outsiders perspective - you guys are carrying too many one paced players. This year speed is king.

Speed up forward and down back yes I agree. Speed in the middle is overrated though.

It's hard to say that the umpires didn't cost us the game when the game was so close. In the last quarter alone, the Brayshaw mark and the head high on Lewis (I think) were two frees in the forward 50 that should have been paid. If they had done their job properly, they could have been the difference.

That's not to say that we were blameless

Speed = tackles and turn overs.

That's simplistic. If it were that easy the quickest team would win every premiership. Take Martin Cotchin Riewoldt and Rance out of your side and you can have as many quick bastards you want you'll lose alot of games.
We were slow and yet we had 29 more inside 50s.
Now I agree with schmuttt You would ideally want some pace at either end to try and protect the zone or exploit it but at the end of the day quality in the midfield is still key.

Game summary:
Didn't capitalise on opportunities in the first half.
Umpires kept Port in it with goals.
Free for the 'block' against Melksham ruined all our momentum.
It wasall downhill from there.

I'm salty and I'm out, can't be ****** with losing at the moment. Not nearly as optimistic as I was a few weeks ago.

that "block" call on melksham was a disgrace. I don't like pointing fingers at umps, i think there job is hard and near impossible there always gonna make some average calls in a split second. However last night was awful and that call was one of the worst I've seen. How can you call a block on a player in a one on one contest protecting space. a block? either that umpire doesn't know the rules or his a complete ******* moron

Remove this Banner Ad

Back