Review Dees v West Horsham: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 19, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield frequency stats for the match. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often players were lining up as one of your 5 mids at each centre bounce.

There were 26 bounces

Harmes 22
Tyson 20 (18w, 2i)
Oliver 20
Brayshaw 18
Jones 17 (9w, 8i)
JKH 11 wing
Fritsch 10 wing
Petracca 8

Rucks:
Gawn 22
T.McDonald 4

Notes:
- Surprisingly in a match featuring Pyke & Goodwin who love making my job hard with their convoluted wing structures (for bounce stand in position X, if after bounce A happens follow protocol B, if instead C happens do Y) - both coaches stuck to traditional structures with the winger starting on the wing rather than the back of the square. Instead the 6th forward started off the back of the square, ran through the contest and then to the forward line, which is how most teams use the role. Melbourne didn't use any player predominantly in the role, all forward line smalls ran through there at some stage, except maybe Melksham.
- The 2nd most inside mid starts for Tyson in analysed games this season after Rd 5 (when he had 7).
- Lowest total starts and lowest percentage of bounces attended (65%) for Jones in analysed games this season (10 games analysed). Jones's previous percentage low was 70% of bounces attended in Rd 1.
v interesting that 2 inside stoppages is Tyson's second most

v interesting that 2 inside stoppages is Tyson's second most
To be completely fair he's played 10 games and I've only analysed 6 of those, so he could've had more inside mid time in those, but Melbourne's structure typically has him starting off the back of the square then moving into his normal wing position, so I would be surprised as Brayshaw has replaced him.

Full Breakdown for him:
Rd 5 vs. Richmond: 20 starts (of 27): 7i, 13w - whilst Brayshaw played he didn't have any inside starts. Christian Salem: inside mid, was in operation and he had 13 to Tyson's 7.
Rd 7 vs. St Kilda: 25 starts (of 28): all wing
Rd 8 vs. Gold Coast: 26 starts (of 35): all wing
Rd 14 vs. Port Adelaide: 15 starts (of 22): all wing
Rd 18 vs. Geelong: 22 starts (of 33): 1i, 21w
Rd 19 vs. Adelaide: 20 starts (of 26): 2i, 18w

Last season he averaged 8 inside starts per game from 12 analysed games, but hidden within that he had 5 games where he had 2 or less inside starts.

DjVfzv-UUAA2GxL.jpg

After getting burned by TMac on the high five, Spargo doubles down only to get stung again.
Bullshit. The footage shows he honours that double banger.

Check out the Fox Sports website, they’ve already uploaded it.

The first crack he has at him is nothing unusual, but the second is genuinely embarrassing, and that’s before he went on to spud it up for the rest of the game.
Yes I don't mind it when players are in the vicinity but Tex did a massive circle to just have a crack at Gawn. As pointed out it's water off a ducks back with Gawn. I still think the preseason camp thing is nonsense but Gawn did say he enjoyed accomplishing the 72 hour camp the year before so he's definitely not mentally weak. Certainly not the right player to target. To be honest this team did have that ridiculous power stance.

How was it throw...? I just watched the
Last two minutes on Facebook. you can see hogan punched his fist threw. It was an awkward becuse he did it “inside out” but wasn’t a throw.
I reckon it was a throw. His hand holding the ball is moving while he handballs. That's a throw, but it seems to be allowed 99% of the time these days. There are the odd one that gets pulled up which just confuses everyone but IMO that's a throw. Check out the Bulldogs 2016 season. Throws galore.

Last edited:
I reckon it was a throw. H's hand holding the ball is moving while he handballs. That's a throw, but it seems to be allowed 99% of the time these days. There are the odd one that gets pulled up which just confuses everyone but IMO that's a throw. Check out the Bulldogs 2016 season. Throws galore.

Very nitpicking....to the letter of the law maybe but does any player ever hold their controlling hand perfectly still. Even in the past when throwing was umpired a lot more strictly than it is now.

Quite often Oliver draws his controlling hand to towards his clenched first to get more power on the handpass....that is not a throw.

Very nitpicking....to the letter of the law maybe but does any player ever hold their controlling hand perfectly still. Even in the past when throwing was umpired a lot more strictly than it is now.

Quite often Oliver draws his controlling hand to towards his clenched first to get more power on the handpass....that is not a throw.
Oh sure. But these days the leeway they get is pretty huge.

I think you'll find to the letter of the law, what oliver does is actually illegal as you describe it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we do it and get away with it. We weren't when the dogs went crazy with it, but now we are, i say get away with what you can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like JKH was finding his feet at senior level which is great to see. He really started showing a bit of confidence in the third quarter. He has something about him that I really like, seems to create scoring chances when he gets involved. And to be fair to Tyson, I thought that was his best game of the year.
Hogan was awful. I hope he wasn’t playing at 100% because he got his arse handed to him by Keath. Petracca was pretty ordinary again too. He looks at least 5kg overweight.

Looked like JKH was finding his feet at senior level which is great to see. He really started showing a bit of confidence in the third quarter. He has something about him that I really like, seems to create scoring chances when he gets involved. And to be fair to Tyson, I thought that was his best game of the year.
Hogan was awful. I hope he wasn’t playing at 100% because he got his arse handed to him by Keath. Petracca was pretty ordinary again too. He looks at least 5kg overweight.
Most reports had Trac in the bests

Trac was very good I thought. Played well in the middle which is just as well given the Viney situation. Hogan was terrible but he genuinely looked as though something was bothering him for the entire game. I liked that once he figured out he was off it touch-wise, he seemed to crack in with general effort in the second half. He’s big enough to be a nuisance around the ball even on days where his skills aren’t really working. Plus he drags a defender with him regardless - he’s too dangerous to leave lurking around on his own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back