Review Dees v Western Bulldogs - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Round 19, 2021

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Expected to lose and we did. At least it wasn't a blow out that's the difference between this team and the 04-06 dees. We are really out of form but it's starting to feel like we just aren't good enough this year which I was starting to believe. If it's out of Geelong and Bulldogs I'm in the Doggies corner, their fans are obnoxious but I like their team. Really have a lot of admiration for bont just an absolute class act.

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good: Oliver, Rivers always tries, Kossie had a go, Brown took a mark or two, Viney kinda got going.
Bad: Goal kicking, I wonder if it will cost us a game … right!
Ugly: Yes if we kicked straight, applied pressure, blah, blah but with fair umpiring we won that anyway. Even more annoying - it won’t be mentioned other than on fan forums.

I think it is just a bit of fun - if they were sitting here posting bait they deserve to cop one but the lurk liking is hilarious. Plus, I did it on their board when we beat them so can't complain.
Never done it once in my life so I've got no problem being a nuffie

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anyone enjoy watching us play more in 2017/18 more than this season? I’ve watched us live 5-6 times this season as well as on TV and I hate it, been about 3 enjoyable wins out of 13. Every match is a tearing your hair out scenario with us.

Hard to say as we've raised expectations from 2017/2018 - in those years we had to come home strong to make finals and failed the first time, this year we have to come home strong to make top 4.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anyone enjoy watching us play more in 2017/18 more than this season? I’ve watched us live 5-6 times this season as well as on TV and I hate it, been about 3 enjoyable wins out of 13. Every match is a tearing your hair out scenario with us.

Since the Adelaide loss it has been horrible

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
For me was probably the Geelong game and Richmond live the Carlton game was good but then frustrating because we really should have thumped them but instead lost the last quarter.

It's honestly s**t mate. Winning is the only way we can put up with it. Take that way and it's no wonder the board turns into a negative mess.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
We are bloody boring to watch. Was just covered up while we were winning. Just don't look like scoring for most of the game..

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
We are bloody boring to watch. Was just covered up while we were winning. Just don't look like scoring for most of the game..
We just have no ruthlessness to our game, every win is a slog and usually closer than it should be, we just can’t blow sides away and break open games. But generally it just hasn’t been attracted footy to watch, which is fine if you win games, but now we’re not even doing that.

Give me us leaking goals like a sieve in 2018 with Frost and OMac over this version of Melbourne any day if we are only going to make it as far as a prelim.

Game plan needs adjusting. We have gone too defensive after being too attacking. Need to find a middle ground and forget about this raging hardon we have for the forward half game. Start kicking to more attacking and dangerous spots in our F50 occasionally. We are just too predictable now I feel. If a team kicks 75 points we are pretty much toast.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not much is clicking atm. We are getting by with some flashes of good play, scrubby goals from packs and intercept marking and generally flooding defence.

Players are having a crack but not trusting each other. Too many flying for marks and getting in the contest. Dogs killed us by hanging out for contest and just picking of our round the corner kicks, panick handballs or libba would extract it beautifully to their mids on the outside. Mids manning Bont at stoppages inside 50 should be non negotiable.

The above was still there early in the season, but I reckon these things have changed.
- wings aren't having any effect, hardly see chains from Langdon and co anymore, Brayshaw is in slow motion
- Salem has zero space, ineffective
- ground balls inside 50 aren't being defended with composure
- May has given up some fairly easy marks inside 50 that he wasn't earlier
- half forwards aren't kicking inside 50 as much, mids are bombing it in more
- forwards all lead to the same spot
- goal kicking has gotten worse but so has the positions we are attempting from
- blind kicks around the corner has gone up 10 fold
- haven't switched a kick in weeks

Unless pressure is extreme like against Port we can't score.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon you’re exaggerating a bit. The first 6 matches were quite good with some minor blips in between and as much as we never seemed to blow that beyond 25-30 points we looked quite safe. The North game was extremely concerning in the first half, we burgled the win against Sydney and Carlton was quite annoying because we should’ve belted them. Adelaide was a ripping game leaving the frustration of the result aside and the Bulldogs and second half of the Lions was great. The last 6 games have been particularly hard yakka (apart from Port) but when we’ve played well this season I’ve enjoyed it more than 17-18. Yep we could turn on scorching quarters against Eade’s Gold Coast but we could equally full to complete s**t when it mattered most.
I reckon there’s at least 10 games we’ve won where I didn’t have my heart in my mouth and fork near the toaster during the last and I’ve enjoyed not having a leaky defence. Offensively we’ve lost our flow lately and that had been frustrating, Langdon’s drop off has been huge in that.
I’m aware we’ve fallen to s**t in some games this year but we haven’t been blown away and even at our worst have been in positions to win.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kicking three or four points to start a game, usually involving at least one easy fluffed set shot, just casts such a downer on the energy of the side from the get go. We’ve made a habit of it. Fritsch is often the culprit. Tonight it was Ben Brown 30m out and a Kozzy crumb that he’d kick nine times out of ten at training. We do lack killer instinct. Just kick the ******* goal for *s sake you overpaid shithacks.

Back