Review Dees v Western Bulldogs - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Round 19, 2021

Mod notice:

give it a rest with wishing horrible injury on players from other teams. Whether you meant it as a joke or not. It’s really ugly and embarrassing

is wishing a hamstring strain on someone where they are touch and go to play next week still alright then?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So we conceded 6 goals from defensive stoppages.
We have Max Gawn, Trac and Oliver and we conceded 6 goals from ******* defensive stoppages.

Really felt like we got sucked into the contest again, every man for himself

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gawn had 57 hitouts to English 14.

Yet we still proceeded to lose the clearances 41 to 49 their way.

Inexcusable really. I feel like a broken record now because I swear we bang on about this each and every ******* week.

Remember the days when Pedo had to ruck full time when Gawn was injured and our set up was so unpredictable, but yet connecting well?

Now it's just far too predictable.

Last edited:
We have Max Gawn, Trac and Oliver and we conceded 6 goals from ******* defensive stoppages.

Yeah our setups were ordinary. Bont had space all night and cut us up. Even in the centre or up the ground he wasn't being closely checked at stoppages. With Harmes and Viney in the side at least one should've put a body on him.

Overall a very frustrating game. We had some good patches when we took the game on then coughed up cheap goals and went back to our crawling pace which killed any momentum we may have had. Also fluffed some solid chances early.

Annoyingly positive spin from Goody et Al too afterwards. Yes we had, mathematically, enough chances to win (maybe by as many as 5 points!) But why were we unable to create more, why did we fluff so many, why did we cough up easy ones the other way? Sure be positive but not to the exclusion of obvious issues that need a closer look you *heads.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

The two to Bontempelli were appalling in that Salem and Viney were nowhere. English’s goal was arsey but he sat off the contest waiting for the ball to come out while Gawn was doing that annoying 2019 s**t where he thinks he’s Koutoufides at ground level.

Can't remember when exactly it was but I did me lolly when Brayshaw and Salem I think were chasing a ball to the boundary and neither shepherded for the other. Instead the dogs bloke helped get the ball across the line. So ******* selfish
It shits me so much how little we shepherd. I'd take the token arms out after dishing a handball effort at least. Some sort of 2nd effort to help a teammate.

Can't remember when exactly it was but I did me lolly when Brayshaw and Salem I think were chasing a ball to the boundary and neither shepherded for the other. Instead the dogs bloke helped get the ball across the line. So ******* selfish

did me lolly :tearsofjoy::heart:

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
My wife and I agreed that last night was my last chance to be able to watch the footy at home given recent psycho behaviour. I’m sure that the Brayshaw/Salem non-shepherd and Weightman’s goal out the back have given me anal polyps from trying to suppress my rage.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
That play sums up our “team” . It’s like I’ve done my bit so I’ll just jog on . Most noticeable at centre square ball ups as well . The other one was when Kozzie got into a wrestle with some one . No one went in to help. We have no mongrel at all . Without it we won’t win a flag .

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Fingers crossed losing to a decent team gives the club the impetus to pull their finger out and work on our fairly obvious issues.

The Dogs are going to be better still if we meet again. The scoreboard flattered us a bit. How we can find another gear soon.

Not a bad effort considering May was poor, Trac shocking, Gawn average, Langdon and Salem struggling. Jackson is massively out of form too.

Been hoping to see Viney as a forward and he was good. Brown ok and hopefully on the improve.

For such a lauded defence we let some pissweak goals through.

If I was Goodwin I’d be tearing the campaigners a new a-hole right now.

Feel like people have missed the main reason we lost here.
I said before the game teams think we defend ground ball poorly and that we are susceptible to back half stoppages.

If the Bulldogs didn't kick 90% of their goals from either a ******* stoppage or a ground ball that bobbled around for 30s before being fed out I was watching the wrong game.
Bontempelli, ******* Bont kicked 2 goals waltzing around on his own inside 50. That's just crap from the team, clear plan to beat us now.

Felt like you could play that game for 3 days straight and they'd still keep snagging enough stoppage and ground ball goals to stay infront.

It was one of the most boring games I've ever watched, just ******* predictable the whole way through.

Were cooked, plan A has been countered and it's exposed the flaws in our side.

You could say we were right in it on the scoreboard but I'll call you a liar if you didn't think the dogs were better than us for 95% of the game

Last of all Brown actually played ok and fu** me dead who would have guessed our forward work still looks sh*t? I told you guys it's nothing to do with personnel. Our midfield is way overrated.
* I hate agreeing with you

Fingers crossed losing to a decent team gives the club the impetus to pull their finger out and work on our fairly obvious issues.

The Dogs are going to be better still if we meet again. The scoreboard flattered us a bit. How we can find another gear soon.

Not a bad effort considering May was poor, Trac shocking, Gawn average, Langdon and Salem struggling. Jackson is massively out of form too.

Been hoping to see Viney as a forward and he was good. Brown ok and hopefully on the improve.

Read his interview Toump. He’s not worried

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
For all of Goodwin’s flaws I reckon he just feeds the media s**t. It frustrates us as fans because it’s the only way he really communicates with us but I’d be shocked if he wasn’t pissed off with our forward work.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Supposedly he's not in the slightest bit worried. The club is taking the pi$$ now.

Our stoppage work is atrocious. We've resorted back to a selfish style of play. Our forwardline is a mess and the entries worse. Langdon, Salem, Spargo, Jackson's form have fallen off a cliff. Our captain has been dreadful for 6 weeks now. Tracs disposal is hurting us badly. We cant defend the ground ball in defence. Gameplan exposed. Players look gassed. Accuracy on goal is still bottom 2 or 3 equivalent. Our form since Round 10 has been trending down. We couldn't beat a depleted 17th side. Yet he's not worried. C'mon now.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

When I see Viney getting two coaches votes in the hawthorn game (presumably from goody), then I think it’s fair to say that, generally speaking, he doesn’t see the issues that those on this board do.

I think it’s worrisome.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
For all of Goodwin’s flaws I reckon he just feeds the media sh*t. It frustrates us as fans because it’s the only way he really communicates with us but I’d be shocked if he wasn’t pissed off with our forward work.

Let’s hope brother.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m all in on Clarkson.
We could genetically clone Norm Smith to coach us but he’d struggle to get a tune from our mob if Petracca continues to kick at 4% efficiency and Gawn, Oliver, Viney and Harmes keep playing heroball bumper cars at stoppages.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Lol so when we did good Yze and Williams were hero's and now it's falling apart it's Goody's fault? Lol

Your earlier post that maybe the coaches have squeezed the best out of these guys was interesting. But isn’t it worth seeing if an accomplished coach is able to get better from them?

Back