Review Dees v Western Bulldogs - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Round 19, 2021

We could genetically clone Norm Smith to coach us but he’d struggle to get a tune from our mob if Petracca continues to kick at 4% efficiency and Gawn, Oliver, Viney and Harmes keep playing heroball bumper cars at stoppages.
That's the coaches job though. To organise their players.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't remember when exactly it was but I did me lolly when Brayshaw and Salem I think were chasing a ball to the boundary and neither shepherded for the other. Instead the dogs bloke helped get the ball across the line. So ******* selfish
Was on the wing I reckon. I woke me kid up yelling "******* shepherd him you * head"

Oops

Can't remember when exactly it was but I did me lolly when Brayshaw and Salem I think were chasing a ball to the boundary and neither shepherded for the other. Instead the dogs bloke helped get the ball across the line. So ******* selfish
Yah that was emblematic. Those kinds of acts don’t win flags.

Demon13304

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm so sick of our shithouse accuracy and how little has been done to fix it. That's the 5th game in a row we've kicked more behinds than goals. And it's hard to start well when you kick 1.7 or something which has happened Way too much this year. s**t kicking is s**t football

Brayshaws efforts were awful last night. He has played an unselfish role this year but fu**s sake mfc please grow some balls and trade him.
That 4th round pick :hearteyes:

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yah that was emblematic. Those kinds of acts don’t win flags.
Could argue that sort of act costed the Bulldogs a premiership in 97. Can't remember who it was rohan Smith? All he had to do was put the block on and Chris Grant would have kicked an easy goal to seal the game. Instead they both go for the ball and the kick is smothered.

Should say it costed the Bulldogs a shot at the premiership but I think they would have won had they got through the preliminary final.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
if you take away the goal kicking we didn't play THAT badly, but * me this is what happens when you rock up thinking it's just going to happen against Hawthorn, Collingwood and GWS,

-We're now a huge chance at missing top 4 and pissing away everything we achieved earlier in the year
- Most of our young blokes look gassed, we should be in a position where we can rest blokes but we aren't.
- Our kicking is still some of the worst in the AFL
- I still think I'd prefer Weid in the side over Brown??? but we are 19 weeks into the season and we still aren't any closer to knowing for sure.
- Our transition game is gone.
- Our Captain is not impacting games anywhere near like he used to.
- Our version of The Bont (lol) has only had a handful of good games this year and couldn't hit the side of a barn door.
- Our goalkicking is somehow getting worse as the season goes on

Best case scenario for now is we limp into the top 4, get to the bye everyone gets a rest and we reset, but all of a sudden the end of the season seems a very long way away..

I like the part where we just expect the goal kicking to click any week now while we are still taking 75% of our set shots from deep in pockets most.

if you take away the goal kicking we didn't play THAT badly, but fu** me this is what happens when you rock up thinking it's just going to happen against Hawthorn, Collingwood and GWS,

-we're now a huge chance at missing top 4 and pissing away everything we achieved earlier in the year
- most of our young blokes look gassed, we should be in a position where we can rest blokes but we aren't.
- our kicking is still one of the worst in the AFL
- I still think I'd prefer Weid in the side over Brown??? but we are 19 weeks into the season and we still aren't any closer to knowing for sure.
- our transition game is gone.

Best case scenario for now is we limp into the top 4, get the bye everyone gets a rest and we reset, but all of a sudden the end of the season seems a long way away..
Mate Weideman didn’t get near it. Brown wasn’t even that good but he’s going nowhere.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I’m definitely in the Brown over Weid camp.

And if we can dedicate so many resources to defensive structure, we should be able to find a place for Melk in the team, and for Salem to get forward. They gotta strike some sort of offense/defense balance. We have to figure out a way to make the forward line work.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate Weideman didn’t get near it. Brown wasn’t even that good but he’s going nowhere.
At least Weidman was creating a contest in the air, Brown is a liability if the ball isn't kicked to him, he's also a selfish prick he's burnt teammates a few times now to have a ping himself.

At least Weidman was creating a contest in the air, Brown is a liability if the ball isn't kicked to him, he's also a selfish prick he's burnt teammates a few times now to have a ping himself.
Would you rather a vague ‘contest’ or a couple of goals and multiple marks inside 50?

Bless Weideman, he seems like a good bloke, but he’s coming from a long way back if he’s ever going to really make it now. And to be honest, he doesn’t really seem like he wants to?

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would you rather a vague ‘contest’ or a couple of goals and multiple marks inside 50?

Bless Weideman, he seems like a good bloke, but he’s coming from a long way back if he’s ever going to really make it now. And to be honest, he doesn’t really seem like he wants to?
Mate I'm not saying Weid is the answer my point is Brown isnt lighting the world on fire and IMO still hasn't cemented his place in the 22.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

Yes we are. Brown is ordinary but he’s a presence. And he’ll chime in for a couple a game. Have his gangly arms chopped every now and then and draw a free.

Weid as a footballer is a big wet bag of pus. ******* hopeless. Certified delist.

Last edited:
Mate I'm not saying Weid is the answer my point is Brown isnt lighting the world on fire and IMO still hasn't cemented his place in the 22.
Brown has been ok though. 6 marks and 2.2 (1 OOTF) yesterday. If he gets his confidence in his kicking back, he can go back to kicking 45-50 a year no dramas. He can still clunk them.

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

It's a bit misleading to say that Brown has value because he kicked a couple. When Brown is played deep, TMac is robbed of opportunity.

The only time Brown has shown value is when he's played further up the ground, providing a target for the midfield and dragging his man with him.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ugly:
- Bullshit long bomb kickouts instead of May using his skills to hit targets.
- McRae 38, Bont 31 and 2 goals, Daniel 34 and a goal, Libba 27, Smith 26 Hunter 26. These guys use the ball so much better than our mids, piss poor we couldn’t have match ups to keep at least 1 or 2 of them quiet.
- Goalkicking
- 67 hit outs to 18 and losing stoppages. Yze has some work on his hands because that is woeful. I think we need to have a look at Jackson playing first ruck and Gawn floating around to dangerous spots.
- Kicking inside 50. Putrid as usual. Why do we constantly kick to outnumbered contests 30-40 out when we have the option to run the ball into the 50 and take a shot.
- Forward pressure. Pickett is good when he’s in the area but so often we go long to Brown/Tmac 2 on 3 and nobody is there to assist on the ground. I actually laughed out loud at one of Brown’s efforts to put pressure on in the second half, he did this weird jump, prop and wiggle his hands like he was playing netball and the dogs player just jogged around him. He played pretty well but it’s just a reality that we’re a man down when it comes to forward pressure.
- We look so jittery when the ball hits the deck on the ground in defence. Tackling is sporadic and messy, blokes get the ball and flip it out anywhere just to get rid of it.

Good/ok:
- Thought we weren’t too bad while it was wet and goalkicking was the only reason we weren’t a couple of goals up. Once it dried up we did * all to take away the dogs A game.
- Plenty of our players were ok to good. At least didn’t turn it up effort wise.

It's a bit misleading to say that Brown has value because he kicked a couple. When Brown is played deep, TMac is robbed of opportunity.

The only time Brown has shown value is when he's played further up the ground, providing a target for the midfield and dragging his man with him.
How is it misleading? I get the argument that TMac has been good closer to goal but he’s hardly been kicking many recently either.

Brown has kicked multiple goals in 3/5 AFL games. He’s clearly showing value.

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
How is it misleading? I get the argument that TMac has been good closer to goal but he’s hardly been kicking many recently either.

Brown has kicked multiple goals in 3/5 AFL games. He’s clearly showing value.
TMac had five shots on goal against Port, when Brown was playing further up the ground.

Against Hawthorn and the Dogs, with Brown playing deep, he's had two in total.

Who do you prefer to be kicking for goal? TMac or Brown?

TMac had five shots on goal against Port, when Brown was playing further up the ground.

Against Hawthorn and the Dogs, with Brown playing deep, he's had two in total.

Who do you prefer to be kicking for goal? TMac or Brown?
TMac, marginally. But the point stands that Brown is also good up the field so who cares how they’re used? Up to the coaches now

Back