Review Dees v Western Bulldogs - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Round 19, 2021

Our refusal to kick the ball anywhere near the goal face and open ourselves up to the possibilty of a counter attack is piss weak and a change that has to be made

It's ridiculous - if you get deep enough entries then it doesn't even matter.

If we hit up 40 metres out down the middle then we're in trouble.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Hope Ross Lyon rips us a new one this week so the coaches get some new ideas :thumbsu:

I like the part where we just expect the goal kicking to click any week now while we are still taking 75% of our set shots from deep in pockets most.
That's one issue. Missing a significant chunk of the other 25% that aren't deep in the pockets is also an issue.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
TMac 6 goals in past 6 games. Well and truly back to his pathetic 2019/20 form.

Last edited:
Not his fault. Brown playing deep means TMac is not getting his opportunities. He's still our best tall forward... just not being utilised.
You seriously don’t think it’s his fault, at all? It’s a negating factor sure but 6 goals is still s**t

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The forward line not functioning is as much about who is delivering the ball in and how. We seem to either kick it to the pocket or hit and hope to the top of the square. Petracca’s delivery has disappeared and Salem never seems to be in a position to deliver the ball aggressively. Fix this over the next four games and we’ll be looking a lot better, if we continue with the same crap we’ll miss top 4.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The forward line not functioning is as much about who is delivering the ball in and how. We seem to either kick it to the pocket or hit and hope to the top of the square. Petracca’s delivery has disappeared and Salem never seems to be in a position to deliver the ball aggressively. Fix this over the next four games and we’ll be looking a lot better, if we continue with the same crap we’ll miss top 4.
It is striking how little ability Trac has at judging depth in his kicking. He doesn't kick the skin off it but it always comes in too high and hot. Viney showed more poise in his inside 50 kicking, which is crazy.

It is striking how little ability Trac has at judging depth in his kicking. He doesn't kick the skin off it but it always comes in too high and hot. Viney showed more poise in his inside 50 kicking, which is crazy.
I was amazed by how well Viney composed himself to hit those passes inside. Under pressure deep in the pocket, had to step in to go off his left. It was very smart execution and not someone you'd think of as that composed.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sydney beat the Dogs with relative ease a couple of weeks ago based off of an intercept game. They were hammered in the clearances 46-26 and conceded scores from stoppages 37-17. They won scoring off of intercepts 62-23. Watching that game they were more aggressive with their ball movement than us and identified the corridor 40-60 from goal as a key area to score from. Jordan Dawson kicked three goals playing half back/wing from that area and Florent scored 1.1 - Salem, Brayshaw and Langdon never looked like getting near that part of the ground last night.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not his fault. Brown playing deep means TMac is not getting his opportunities. He's still our best tall forward... just not being utilised.

That is an embarrassing excuse for a permanent key forward not to hit the scoreboard. He’s leading poorly, mistiming contests, dropping marking opportunities and simply going missing for large swathes of game time. It ‘aint even in the postcode of being good enough.

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
That is an embarrassing excuse for a permanent key forward not to hit the scoreboard. He’s leading poorly, mistiming contests, dropping marking opportunities and simply going missing for large swathes of game time. It ‘aint even in the postcode of being good enough.
Yeah, sure. It's all TMac's fault. Nothing to do with our structure or delivery!

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Honestly don't know the answer to this but our forward pressure was embarassingly bad. Dogs strolled out. I wonder how much of an impact playing Brown has on that, he really is useless at ground level.
It’s not just him, Fritsch is a real lazy campaigner too. Pickett, Neal-Bullen and Spargo need to get savage.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The first six games 6-0, not flawless but largely comfortable, we had really good shape behind the ball and looked dangerous going forward.

The second six 5-1, a couple of scares against Sydney and North (1st half), lose by a bees dick to the Crows who played really well but still could’ve/should’ve won from 16 up with 7 minutes to go in the last.

The past six 2-3-1, Shocking against Collingwood, GWS and Hawthorn. Pretty crap against the Bombers and Bulldogs. Port the only good performance.

We need to rectify the stoppage situation as it is starting to bite and find ways to get our best players motoring again. The side needs a bit of a shakeup positionally and personnel wise - I think we need to get Salem further up the field and probably look at getting Bowey in the side. Brayshaw, Jackson, Harmes/Viney/Jordon, Rivers and Hibberd’s positions need to be looked at closely.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It’s not just him, Fritsch is a real lazy campaigner too. Pickett, Neal-Bullen and Spargo need to get savage.
Brown and Fritta useless with pressure. Spargo, Koz and ANB have lose their spark completely in recent weeks. Not sure if tired or being kept out of the game but the lack of pressure in the front half has seen a massive trend downwards. I don't think it's a coincidence that has happened with Brown and Weid in the side. I think we need to go back to no Brown no Weid. Clearly not as simple as that, but without a big FF leading out, it means our smalls HAVE to work their backsides off. Salem and Langdon playing poorly has had a resounding effect also. We need Salem, Spargo with the ball and they are being denied it. Langdon again could be a ripple effect of Brown coming into the team and being a main target. We don't look out wide for him anywhere near as much with Brown/Weid in the team.

I put forth the idea of bringing back Melk a number of weeks ago and got shot down, but we need another decent kick moving forward. I'd bring him back in. And I know this won't happen, but Bowey should be getting a debut bloody soon. I know he won't solve all our issues, but he's another elite kick and it's something we are genuinely struggling with atm. Maybe Melk and Bowey coming in can just give us a couple more very good ball users to help with ball movement..

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Spargo AnB and Pickett can't cover 6 blokes though that's the problem. You can work your ass off as much as you want but if Brown or Frittas man create the over lap you can't pressure anyway. You need everyone involved.

Swana are everything I wish we were right now. we are very similar in a lot of aspects. The one major difference being ball movement and the amount of class they have on the outside compared to us.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Swana are everything I wish we were right now. we are very similar in a lot of aspects. The one major difference being ball movement and the amount of class they have on the outside compared to us.
Most of all they are probably THE team to watch atm. Exciting football. In comparison we are dull and lifeless..

Hope Ross Lyon rips us a new one this week so the coaches get some new ideas :thumbsu:

That's one issue. Missing a significant chunk of the other 25% that aren't deep in the pockets is also an issue.

I agree mate, its actually embarrassing how far we are missing some of the shots from the pockets regardless.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Spargo AnB and Pickett can't cover 6 blokes though that's the problem. You can work your ass off as much as you want but if Brown or Frittas man create the over lap you can't pressure anyway. You need everyone involved.
Correct. And this is a big reason why Geelong will win the flag. Their three main goalkickers and targets up forward ALL provide great pressure as well. They compete in the air and compete hard at ground level. TMac is the only one of our tall targets that provides an sort of half decent pressure at ground level. The Dogs and Hawks last two weeks have run the ball out of our defence with ease...

Back