Review Dees v Western Bulldogs - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Round 19, 2021

Dec 26, 2005
Park Orchards
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ParkOrchards FC. Mitch-Scot Cycling
Could argue that sort of act costed the Bulldogs a premiership in 97. Can't remember who it was rohan Smith? All he had to do was put the block on and Chris Grant would have kicked an easy goal to seal the game. Instead they both go for the ball and the kick is smothered.

Should say it costed the Bulldogs a shot at the premiership but I think they would have won had they got through the preliminary final.

It was Paul Hudson… who was terrific for us for a few years when he crossed over from Hawthorn…. but yeah, he got in Granty’s way and we lost. Still spewing over that 24 years later!!

Heads up Dees Board. You’ve been on top of the ladder for much of the year so you must be doing something right. And your players and coaches absolutely are. It’s a long and difficult season and all teams drop games at some point. You, like us will be playing Finals and that’s still five weeks away. Plenty of time to fine tune here and there. Keep the faith guys. And f*** Geelong!

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Correct. And this is a big reason why Geelong will win the flag. Their three main goalkickers and targets up forward ALL provide great pressure as well. They compete in the air and compete hard at ground level. TMac is the only one of our tall targets that provides an sort of half decent pressure at ground level. The Dogs and Hawks last two weeks have run the ball out of our defence with ease...

The Dogs are more than capable of beating Geelong if those two play off in the Big One. Toss of the coin for mine. I think both have separated themselves from the pack now. The clear standout sides heading into September.

The Dogs are more than capable of beating Geelong if those two play off in the Big One. Toss of the coin for mine. I think both have separated themselves from the pack now. The clear standout sides heading into September.

Yea nah. Swans.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Honestly don't know the answer to this but our forward pressure was embarassingly bad. Dogs strolled out. I wonder how much of an impact playing Brown has on that, he really is useless at ground level.
Nah can't just blame brown, Fritsch was equally as pathetic at ground level.

You've said it before and I think it's fairly accurate, the game plan is so taxing on forwards pushing right up the ground then getting back. That kick inside 50 to McDonald, when Fritsch had got free forward. McDonald was gassed and couldnt sprint to get there. Happened a few times.

Stafford needs to switch onto seperation between our high forwards and deep forwards. There is a grey area between the 2, when they push up so high and push back, they can only manage to move so far.

I can't blame the blokes for being useless at ground level when they are asked to cover so much ground.

That said, there is an incredible amount of poor leading patterns/kick placement that's hindering them. The game is so much different with straight kicking. Brown kicks those early goals, Pickett/ANB or hunt Jag one of their shots.. everyone gets a minute break anyway

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It was Paul Hudson… who was terrific for us for a few years when he crossed over from Hawthorn…. but yeah, he got in Granty’s way and we lost. Still spewing over that 24 years later!!

Heads up Dees Board. You’ve been on top of the ladder for much of the year so you must be doing something right. And your players and coaches absolutely are. It’s a long and difficult season and all teams drop games at some point. You, like us will be playing Finals and that’s still five weeks away. Plenty of time to fine tune here and there. Keep the faith guys. And f*** Geelong!
One of my favourite games purely from a drama point of view. Was looking like a Doggies vs saints grand final both teams sitting at one premiership and both with long droughts, Doggies look well in control, then jarman steps up to the plate and gets Adelaide back in the game, pretty sure our current coach kicked a beauty as well. The pressure kicked in mark West missed a sitter, that libba 'miss' as well then that Chris Grant situation. The last quarter had it all. That image of rohan smith slapping the ground sticks in my head. Anyway we had a similar choke in 87 though I was too young to remember.

Anyway back to current circumstances yes still a fair bit to play out before the end of season but it's hard to see how we regain our early season form we've been so poor for too long. Was optimistic after the Port game but that was a false dawn.

Dec 26, 2005
Park Orchards
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ParkOrchards FC. Mitch-Scot Cycling
One of my favourite games purely from a drama point of view. Was looking like a Doggies vs saints grand final both teams sitting at one premiership and both with long droughts, Doggies look well in control, then jarman steps up to the plate and gets Adelaide back in the game, pretty sure our current coach kicked a beauty as well. The pressure kicked in mark West missed a sitter, that libba 'miss' as well then that Chris Grant situation. The last quarter had it all. That image of rohan smith slapping the ground sticks in my head. Anyway we had a similar choke in 87 though I was too young to remember.

Anyway back to current circumstances yes still a fair bit to play out before the end of season but it's hard to see how we regain our early season form we've been so poor for too long. Was optimistic after the Port game but that was a false dawn.

Tony Modra did his knee in the second quarter of that PF….. sadly missed their Premiership the following week after being a major contributor all year for Adelaide. Matty Croft had kept Mods in check up until then but the shift of Darren Jarman forward in the second half was the match winning move. He dominated that last quarter and won them the game. He kept it up the following week too, so much so that he kicked 6 goals on Jamie Shanahan, leading the Saints to ship him off to your mob at season’s end! And Doggies reject Shane Ellen kicked 5 in that GF as well…. imagine Mitch Hannan doing that this year! 😂

I digress mrmonkey. No reason you guys can’t replicate your early season form. You’re up to the eyeballs in this.

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s not just him, Fritsch is a real lazy campaigner too. Pickett, Neal-Bullen and Spargo need to get savage.
Harsh on Pickett.

He was the only one inside our forward 50 who was constantly chasing and harassing which result him in closing down on two doggies player and smothering their kick.

Kozzie is fine. It's his more senior experience players who need to pull their fingers out.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Goodwin has to make some moves and rejig this forward line or we genuinely risk getting bundled out of September a laughing stock. Rotate Gawn through the goal square, play Petracca deep in forward 50 and put Gus in the guts. Send TMac to a wing, bring back the Melky Bar Kid. * ANB off and debut Bowie.

Time to go peak Kevin Sheedy on ‘em or watch this ship sink in the harbour without a trace.

Last edited:
Goodwin has to take some moves and rejig this forward line or we genuinely risk getting bundled out of September a laughing stock. Rotate Gawn through the goal square, play Petracca deep in forward 50 and put Gus in the guts. Send TMac to a wing, bring back the Melky Bar Kid. fu** ANB off and debut Bowie.

Time to go peak Kevin Sheedy on ‘em or watch this ship sink in the harbour without a trace.

0% chance

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
until our method changes it won't mean sh*t anyway. swing as many changes as you like, it won't do anything.

Why does it always have to be one or the other with you and your bestie here? You can’t adjust method AND swing changes to personnel?

You can fling a yo-yo and sip on a daiquiri at the same time.

Last edited:
Why does it always have to be one or the other with you and your bestie here? You can’t adjust method AND swing changes to personnel?

You can fling a yo-yo and sip on a daiquiri at the same time.

Your post didn't mention anything about method. My bestie and I would have approved your idea otherwise. As it stood though, rejected.

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Goodwin has to make some moves and rejig this forward line or we genuinely risk getting bundled out of September a laughing stock. Rotate Gawn through the goal square, play Petracca deep in forward 50 and put Gus in the guts. Send TMac to a wing, bring back the Melky Bar Kid. fu** ANB off and debut Bowie.

This is all just terrible

This is all just terrible

under 13s stuff. throw the magnets everywhere.

Delivery into the forward line is still the source of the issue. GOH attempting to fix the wrong problem.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Delivery into the forward line is still the source of the issue. GOH attempting to fix the wrong problem.
Nah I dunno, I reckon Gawn marking the ball in the pocket is the one key element to take us to a flag. Especially with Angus Brayshaws elite footskills from inside delivering it to him

Nah I dunno, I reckon Gawn marking the ball in the pocket is the one key element to take us to a flag. Especially with Angus Brayshaws elite footskills from inside delivering it to him

Trac could mark Oliver stab passes that usually get to forwards on the second bounce cleanly too imo

While it's fun to pot GoH we do need to try something. Running the same blokes through the same spots isn't really doing much to help, even if they're getting berated to lower the eyes or separate their leads.

Viney hit the two best passes i50 we've had in months last weekend playing a bit more forward and he's hardly a gun kick. A slight change of role can help refocus blokes and maybe inspire some changes in how they play. Bringing in Melk or Bowey as a good kick/user and maybe try Trac forward a bit more is worth a look imo. Don't need to upend everything but I feel a tweak of personnel AND how we setup and enter 50 is needed.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

So now you’re at least admitting the set up of the forward six is a problem. We’re getting somewhere! Baby steps.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
While it's fun to pot GoH we do need to try something. Running the same blokes through the same spots isn't really doing much to help, even if they're getting berated to lower the eyes or separate their leads.

Viney hit the two best passes i50 we've had in months last weekend playing a bit more forward and he's hardly a gun kick. A slight change of role can help refocus blokes and maybe inspire some changes in how they play. Bringing in Melk or Bowey as a good kick/user and maybe try Trac forward a bit more is worth a look imo. Don't need to upend everything but I feel a tweak of personnel AND how we setup and enter 50 is needed.

Careful Dory. Admit I have a point and post counter to AAP/TK orthodoxy and you risk being outcast. The Cool Kids have spoken!

Back