Review Dees v Westhorsham Port - the Good, Bad and Teal

Remove this Banner Ad

Also worth noting that Kosi was totally anonymous all day. We don’t play in a way he can use his strengths at all, especially on a day he should have been our biggest weapon.

Should be holding enough forwards to make a contest in the forward half and try and get it over the back with Kosi deepest.

Ports midfield was the difference no matter what old mate qoute and delete reckons. This bandwagon had plenty of room a few months ago, might be a little fuller now but there's still some seats 😂
Never said they weren't.

I quoted posts of yours to show you saying, in order:

"We're gonna lose"
"No wait, we're gonna win"
"I told you we would win"
"No wait, I told you we would lose"

More flip flops than the Toccumwal pub on Christmas Eve.

Harden up campaigner, the proof is in the pudding cup. Simon has us buzzing, we're going to cup up in a canter. #haloofpositivity

Ok, im back aboard and ill stay in Jonestown just for you deeco. I can now see this ending well for us.

Out of defence we rely way too much on going through Langdon and Hunter every time and those chains are just consistently turning into dinky handballs and kicks that lead to somebody getting caught.

Today wasn’t a day for hitting targets but generally speaking it’s a huge fugly that we have players like Salem, Rivers, Bowey, May behind the ball but are a kick long down the wing team.

It was a gutsy fight back in the third quarter when it could have got ugly.

Gawn lifted after copping cheap shots all game. Grundy also tried hard.

Petracca lifted and did some great things.

Not enough contributors on the night though. Some did absolutely sfa.

ANB is the softest pos when the heat is on. I hate watching him.

Finally, umpires. They were a disgrace.

I’d love to see what another top coach could do with us. We won a flag because Goody had us absolute buzzing for a season and we were fitter than everybody else.

There’s rarely been a sign of any tactical nous.
The tactical nous seems to be rotating Gus and Trac in and out of the middle.

Also worth noting that Kosi was totally anonymous all day. We don’t play in a way he can use his strengths at all, especially on a day he should have been our biggest weapon.

Should be holding enough forwards to make a contest in the forward half and try and get it over the back with Kosi deepest.
Agree with the we don’t play to his strengths comment. Could say it about most of our players forward of the centre just hoof it high to a 2 on 3 near the boundary with no one front and square, rinse and repeat.

I’d love to see what another top coach could do with us. We won a flag because Goody had us absolute buzzing for a season and we were fitter than everybody else.

There’s rarely been a sign of any tactical nous.

#wemissburgo

We were actually good when the rain was pelting and Port couldn't cut us up with kicks through the middle. Won the clearances and banged it forward. When it dried up a bit Port cut us up as many teams have done and we can't get it back.

We are still pretty good at generating opportunities from the wings but we need more through the middle, offensively and defensively.

Rivers through the middle to Fritsch and Koz was the best play and it happened once. Port generated scores a lot through good kicking around the middle.

I don't think Brayshaw running through is the answer. He did a good square up to Sparg from the wing but overall I reckon we need more run through the middle or a clear plan to stop clearance run ons. It's not clicking atm. Trac bombing it out of a centre bounce was working but it seemed to happen 1/10 times, mainly in the 3rd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually more optimistic about our chances this year after that game. I thought we'd get rolled tonight but we put up a great fight. Yes I know we got belted in the middle in the first half and not for the first time this year but I wouldn't underestimate Port at the moment. We held up well under massive pressure in the last, the free against JVR really did us in.

If not for one of the greatest individual games in the modern era by Butters we probably win. I was also super impressed with JHF. Have to give credit to the opposition when they outclass you. We are far too stupid to play wet weather footy.

Credit to Trac for lifting after half time. I assume he's hampered. Also loved some things Rivers did. Viney not so much.

Disappointing from Kozzie tbh, needed some magic in the wet but I guess it wasn't really down there.

The Good:
No positives. Maybe getting back into a winnable position.

The Bad:
Van Rooyen for being slow to get rid of the ball. That's 3 weeks now where's he's been slow in the mind with his disposal. Not to mention the 2 dumb free kicks.
Tom Mcdonald
Jack Viney
sliding around taking peoples knees out. Know the rules mate.
Lack of defensive pressure
1st, 2nd and 4th Quarter.
Grundy
Giving Port shots on call after the quarter time siren, the half time siren and 3/4 time siren.

The Ugly:
The umpiring.
Goodwin not putting anyone on Butters.

Nice that we came back when it looked like they would do us by 10 goals at one point, but that's not enough for a team with any ambition.

- Its a shame we got the Bulldogs when they were down and the Swans in their worst year for ages as our early wins. Papered over some cracks.

- That first half is beyond words. As usual, a quality team tried to jump us and we weren't ready. Took Goodwin a whole half to get the players to play chaos ball. Port did it as soon as the rain started. Can he not read a ladder or a radar??

- We hate the rain in Adelaide (x2) and we hate the sun in QLD (x2). Why are we incapable of adapting to suit conditions?

- We came back into it and showed we're still a good team, but 15 minutes doesn't win you flags.

- Goodwin and Gawn, plus whoever else is a leader, surely knew Port would come out breathing fire in the last quarter. We weren't ready for it. Defence held up for 3 or 4 mins, but we're undersized down there and rely too much on May who can no longer reach below his knees. When the opposition plays a decoy on Lever, we then rely on composure from the likes of Rivers and McVee who are still young guys.

- No inside 50s in the first 10 minutes of that quarter whilst Port were peppering us with behinds. At what point do we realise that sitting Max up there on Allir isn't the answer in this weather? Get the rucks up to the D50 and kick it along the ground to let the smalls go to work against their talls. Why are we never proactive like this? Create a mismatch for Fritsch and have him as the midfield link man.

- When we had chances late, we didn't take them. Petracca had some really good moments, but he and Horne-Francis looked like they were playing different sports in the last quarter. Petracca was fumbling out of every contest, and JHF was smooth as silk.

- We have run Kade Chandler into the ground. This guy spent all of last season as the sub or playing at Casey, and now we expect him to play every game at AFL level. We have travelled five times in the first ten rounds. The bloke has now had zero effect on three games running, and even his confidence is slipping. Not pulling snaps out of his arse anymore. He will no doubt play again next week, and all of a sudden it becomes "is he best 22" if he has a fourth quiet game.

- Gus Brayshaw. Shocking call to play him in the midfield. Even worse call to play a guy in bad shape in a run with role. Thoroughly embarrassed by Port tonight. Needs to look in the mirror, and hit the gym after hours. On the other hand, he's sorted until 2028. There's no motivation there for him to do anything.

- The wingers lifted as the game went on, but they're nowhere near good enough to be used as often as they are. Since his broken ribs, Landon has reverted to his mean at Freo. Hunter tries hard but is obviously not 100% fit, nor is he as clean as he once was.

- Stand up for Gawn when Port do their usual cheap shots against him you cowards. They have been doing this for years now.

- I owe an apology to whoever it was that said we were a 5th place side at best. Things could still change, but at the moment there are three teams who are clearly above us and one - who just rolled us tonight - that are at worst on par. Port are playing with an appetite that we lack and have lacked for some time now.

- JVR is talented as hell and I love the kid, but he's giving away a lot of silly free kicks. Control your limbs man, or at least make sure you mark them when they come your way rather than fumbling chest marks.

- McDonald was a bit s**t but had some key moments, which is the best you'll get from him. The free kick against when he decided not to kick the ball and try duck into the tackle was comical. It is so clearly the end of the road. Salem had a good game, I thought. I wasn't in favour of him playing after no VFL, but assumed the coaches had seen something in training. Was composed and good overhead.

- Special mention to the umpires. One of the most hilariously one sided final quarters you'll ever see, beginning with the two phantom frees at the end of the third. We had a few cheap ones in the third. Sign of bad umpires is when all the calls go with the momentum. Oliver and Gawn held all day but only got frees when we were on a roll.

- Zak Butters...take a bow.

- The loss of Burgess cannot be overstated. We simply aren't as fit as we used to be.

I hope there's someone, anyone at all, at the club who is capable of looking the players in the eye and saying "near enough isn't good enough". That's three times this year we have lost games in the first quarter but done enough to come back and avoid scrutiny. Nobody is playing terribly, nor is anyone at their full potential.

It doesn't feel like our guys really want it. They'd like it, but do they REALLY want it? Are they as hungry as Port were tonight? It feels like two years now that we've just coasted along.

It's such a waste of this list. I'm a big Goodwin fan and I hope he's our coach for many years to come, but I can't help but feel we would be unstoppable with the energy McRae brings the Pies, or the tactical nous of Scott. As it stands, we have a guy who is clearly a good coach but can't seem to get that extra edge out of the group. We changed the game plan a bit this year, which is nice, but we still don't adapt at all well to inclement conditions.

Last edited:
The tactical nous seems to be rotating Gus and Trac in and out of the middle.
Tim And Eric Omg GIF

Out of defence we rely way too much on going through Langdon and Hunter every time and those chains are just consistently turning into dinky handballs and kicks that lead to somebody getting caught.

Today wasn’t a day for hitting targets but generally speaking it’s a huge fugly that we have players like Salem, Rivers, Bowey, May behind the ball but are a kick long down the wing team.
I agree. We look good in 2021 when Salem, Lever and May hit kicks into the centre. Now we have Rivers as the only player attempting them, but we also have Bowey and McVee who could be doing it as well.

For the talent in kicking I reckon we have down back we don't go for it at all. We revert back to using the wings too much.

We could be set for a huge reality check on Kings Birthday. We’re getting pummelled at the contest by teams Collingwood have covered comfortably.
Collingwood don't belt teams. They will jump us, we will fight back, they will roll over us as they do every team. I fear that will be the pattern going into the finals, where I'd be stoked to even have a double chance.

On the bright side, Trent Rivers' last month or so of footy has been outstanding. Really standing up and becoming a big contributor

I could go on for a while with the ugly but I’ll leave it with one last one. Why does it always take us a quarter or more of wet weather football before we work out it’s to our advantage to kick it off the ground and get it going forward.

We have to cough up 100 sideways handballs before we wake up.

I could go on for a while with the ugly but I’ll leave it with one last one. Why does it always take us a quarter or more of wet weather football before we work out it’s to our advantage to kick it off the ground and get it going forward.

It's been happening for years. Beyond frustrating

Don't forget streaming forward when we get the ball and forgetting that its really ******* hard to mark it when its wet, but really ******* easy for the oppo to chew off corridor kicks when our men have ran 20 metres forward of their opponent to apply forward pressure.

Frustrating very frustrating. Lots of pissweak efforts where we didn't body line the ball, didn't tackle or smother with intent or s**t ourselves and fumbled when we had time to execute.

We made about 5 mistakes in the last 1-2 minutes alone like langdon not bringing the ball to ground in the f50 or having 3 players all stream to goal and run past the contest.

Not turning up for the first half is just unacceptable.

I know people want to throw out the game plan but footy is pretty simple. 10 clearances to 0 Ports way in the 2nd quarter. We were decimated in clearances and time in forward half for the entire first half.

AND that is with a huge ruck advantage (hit outs were 19 to 5 our way at one point).

Our mids are all duck no dinner and the pricks just don't defend. Way too easy for the opposition to smash us in clearance considering some of the players we have rolling through there. We aren't richmond 2017-20, we clearly aren't good enough to transition against the decent-good sides so clearances are critical imo.

TLDR be better at stoppages ya campaigners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back