Review Dees vs Essendank - The good, the bad and the fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Weid's earnt himself a month in the ones.

May was great despite Wright kicking 4.

How we cleared the -28.5 line is anyone's guess.

Oliver Good. Jordon good, Gus good. Sparrow made some very important plays and tackles.

Counting down the days until Hunt is delisted.

Take the 4 points and move the fu** on. Won't be buying this match from name a game on VHS.
Your job is to facilitate this, how you do I don't care, but do it, I expect daily updates as to your progress. Thank you.

I want to like weid, but it's quite deflating when he takes a great mark and you'll know he will miss. Then he kicks one from the boundary so I dunno. Seven years in the system and he's still so unreliable with his kicking.

Last edited:

These Dees Essendon games always have the worst atmosphere. Game was flat from the opening bounce and reached no great heights.

Weidy is such a weird player, clearly a headcase, tbh he's better than whatever slop Tmac is putting up at the moment. Keen to partner BBB with Weid and relive the dominant 2021 Casey team.

Clayton and his kicking was on fire. As was Brayshaw, pretty much everyone else can get ****ed.

Up the Dees.

"nickgrant69 why can't your team kick it through the big sticks?"

"Coz they are a bunch of useless campaigners who are mentally weaker than players were 20 years ago"

Very romantic night in together. Lucky girl.

‘Back in my day in the bush leagues you’d king hit a campaigner like Wright if he was playing well’

‘Back in my day in the bush leagues you’d king hit a campaigner like Wright if he was playing well’

"oh show me how you'd do it Nick on that boxing bag hanging in your kitchen!"

I want to like weid, but it's quite deflating when he takes a great mark and you'll know he will miss. Then he kicks one from the boundary so I dunno. Seven years in the system and he's still so unreliable with his kicking.
That one from the boundary showed how technically sound his kicking is, and all of the misses show how cooked his head is

Strange to have that feeling during the game that even though we were horrible we were never gonna lose. 3-0 . Angus Brayshaw into the top 15 all time for marks in a game 😂Probably a 3 goal better team as soon as Jake Lever replaces Joel Smith.

Anyway haven’t posted in forever , had a few too many beers at the pub and just wanted to see if I have the premiership badge

Strange to have that feeling during the game that even though we were horrible we were never gonna lose. 3-0 . Angus Brayshaw into the top 15 all time for marks in a game 😂Probably a 3 goal better team as soon as Jake Lever replaces Joel Smith.

Anyway haven’t posted in forever , had a few too many beers at the pub and just wanted to see if I have the premiership badge
Square Up Lets Go GIF by VH1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the worst we've played as a team in the past two seasons, with the exception of the Collingwood game last year. Still, the game always felt like it was under our control and that we always had another gear in reserve, which is the sign of a good team I guess. Frankly, I'd get used to these scrappy 4-goal wins because it seems to be our M.O. at the moment:saving the champagne football for September and doing nothing more than we need to get the wins during the H&A. Beats losing, anyway.

Good:

• Brayshaw and Langdon excellent. Was nice to see them playing off each other so often, which we don't get to see when they're playing on opposite wings.
  • It's easy to take Oliver for granted sometimes, but he was just a level above everyone else tonight when it counted.
  • Great to see Weid take his chance. Hope he gets an extended run at it, now.
  • Defence holding up well considering the players we have missing. Bowey is playing like a 200-gamer and Smith hasn't done anything wrong in the first three weeks. May has to be the best fullback in the league. Hunt was better tonight, but is still the obvious candidate to come out one Lever and Hibberd are fit.

Bad:

• Still not getting much from our small forwards. I know that small forwards are judged on their defence more than anything else these days, but Pickett, Spargo, Neal-Bullen and Sparrow have kicked a total of 4 goals between them across three games so far.
  • TMac has run out of tickets, I think. Hasn't played a good game since his injury last year. Time to give Weid a shot in his place presuming Brown comes back next week.
  • Haven't been doing particularly well out of the clearances so far this year, which is a bit concerning given how much talent we have around the ball and how much of a weapon it can be for us.

Ugly:

• Starting the year 3-0 and still finding so much to complain about. :tearsofjoy:

Copying demonland's 3 word player analysis idea:

Brayshaw - Record 20 marks!

Oliver - 3 Brownlow Votes

Langdon - Clutch boundary goal

Gawn - Working into season.

Petracca - Good but (too) honest :)

Harmes - Horrendous set shot

Bowey - More physical tonight

Rivers - Good despite turnover

Weideman - Creates selection headache

May - smashed by Wright

Viney - important left snap

Jordon - No remarkable moments

Fritsch - Quiet before sealer

Jackson - Won important contests

Hunt - Just a game

Spargo - Poor despite goal

Sparrow - hasn't shown progression

Smith - Good despite clangers

Pickett - Beaten by Hind

Tomlinson - Doesn't offer much

McDonald - Slow and ineffective

Neal-Bullen - Surprisingly low possessions

I've said it from Day 1, James jordon has somthing.
Love JJ.
Went to the pub to watch this game and halfway through the TVs were turned off because there was open mike stand up-comedy night on, had to watch this slop of a match amongst some truly grim comedy.

What more can be said? fu** Essendon, terrible club, no finals win since 2004, 0-3, piss off. That 2013 loss to them was gut wrenching, was at a 21st and felt like the club was cooked, good to see we've won a flag and they're still stank.
I mean lets be fair, Essendon have been largely irrelevant for 20 odd years.
No finals for 15 yearsm I mean WE played finals in 18'.

I dont dislike they're team, i definitely don't rate their list but i ******* hate there supporters.
They hold on to the 2000 GF, wouldnt of matterd who they played that team would of creamed anyone .They physically beat us. Long almost broke Longmuirs neck (Hyperbole, but * me was dirty ! wasnt even looking for tha ball!)

That one from the boundary showed how technically sound his kicking is, and all of the misses show how cooked his head is
Was there for the Darwin game was devastating watching that miss in the last minute. Mind you I think everyone missed in the last quarter too and his the most pressure. Having said that that kick last night would have come with a lot of pressure. He'd missed some easy shots, and essendon had some momentum and we needed to break it. I was sitting in the Olympic stand and could see his face/body language, he did look calm, so perhaps you're right it's between his ears. I've certainly seen him kick beautifully at Casey and it's his first game back at the top level in quite some time, now that is out of the way hopefully he can settle.

No way Smith's coming out of the team, but welcome back mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back