Analysis Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
How about this for a stat?! Geelong currently have the three best performing one-on-one defenders in the competition.

10616591_10204908638735340_6208871049323886313_n.jpg

Also shows that some people still don't give Lonergan the credit he deserves, you never hear him mentioned in "Who is the best defender?" discussions when he can wipe an opponent completely out of a game when he's on.

Agree.
It's a coin toss between Harry and domsy over who is the best defender in the comp IMO.
Star he is.

some people like to call it defence
i like to call it the backline
I guess it's like having a 3m steel mesh security fence down there sometimes, whit3y- topped by a metre of rolls of barbed wire! Hence the term "fence".
"None shall pass!!"

Other teams "fences" are often wobbly 1m affairs constructed from chicken wire.

Also worth noting that Harry Taylor and Jared Rivers average 2.4 intercept marks per game - ranked equal second in the competition.
That's a pretty amazing stat for Harry- considering a lot of people thought he'd been pretty quiet in the first half of the season. Thanks for putting that info up, gysenn.

If it weren't for the Sydney game - where we were missing Lonergan and one of Boris/Mackie - I'd say we'd be a lot higher in all of the 'team' stats they have there as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shows how heavily we rely on those guys. If our midfield can improve at the stoppages and win more clearances, we'll be hard to beat in the finals.
Not sure it's a reliance, three blokes. If it was just HT I'd call it a reliance. Sounds like bloody good coaching and some seriously talented defenders.

You'd think we'd be struggling down there after losing Scarlett, Milburn, Egan and Wojcinski...
Would we have recruited Taylor if Egan didn't suffer his ultimately career ending injury?

I doubt it. Would have been a fair mistake though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back