List Mgmt. Defend the Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Have seen a few incidental comments scattered throughout other threads, with varying opinions on the performance of our backline and, in particular, the desire to get Weiters and Marchbank back in ASAP.

Thought it might be worth opening up a more focused discussion on how people see our back line structuring up for the rest of the season.

Key defenders - Rowe, Jones, Silvagni, JGM
Intercept defenders - Weitering, Marchbank, Macreadie
General defenders - Plowman, O'Shea
Running defenders - Simpson, Williamson, Thomas, O'Brien, Cuningham, Byrne, Mullett, Shaw

*Docherty injured

Would love to get some debate happening about what combination people think is most competitive now, and what they'd like to see by Round 20.

Assumed structure as 6 defenders named, plus a loose defender, and another 1 or more on the bench.

For the now I like

Plowman - Rowe - Simpson
Thomas - ASOS - Marchbank.

Weitering on the interchange as a versatile rotation and Williamson/Cuningham/Obrien further up the ground. Docherty obviously comes into that next year but I expect he will play more midfield as well.

I don’t see a spot for Jones anymore, and never saw a spot for O’Shea and Mullett. Also not sold on Byrne yet but has time on his side.

It’s a great problem to have. Feel like over the past 2 weeks we’ve slowly found our best structure and it looks a lot better than rounds 2-6.

Need to draft a KPD as a replacement for Rowe, Weitering is not it.

Interesting stuff :thumbsu:

My ideal set up l against most sides, not taking injuries into account would be as follows:

Williamson Jones Plowman
Simpson Marchbank Weitering

Dochertey loose.

Probably what I'd expect to see round 1 next year if all are fit.

O'Brien to rotate through off the bench interchanging between Hb and wing depending on the need.

If playing against a team like Richmond who are smaller then swap Weitering and Doc so Doc takes a man and Weitering uses height advantage to mop up as the tall loose.

If we are lacking wing options we can push Simpson up and play Mullet.

I’m happy for us to be unbalanced for a while (play game by game rotating the match ups to suit the opposition). I think when we hit our peak we will have created & definded the new defensive set up.
I’m bullish that Williamson will be a gun, with the interchangeable parts ie Weiters, Marchbank, Plow, Williamson will be an absolute head * for the oppo- you just wont know how to combat us. LOB/Doc will be the new Simmo & rotating thru the mid. Rowe/Jones/Asos as the bigger bodies. All our younger defenders are smart and have shown signs that they have top rate disposal. It will just take time to jell into a seamless coordinated wall. As our mid field matures, the extra pressure they will apply will also play a huge part.

B: Williamson Jones Marchbank
HB: Simpson Rowe Docherty
IC: Byrne

Weitering replaces Rowe when ready. Macreadie replaces Jones when ready.

Happy for Thomas to go through there at times while playing in other positions, he's as good as any. O'Brien is more a midfielder.

Think Plowman could be replaced with Silvagni or Marchbank for the better if they were fit.

We have been too tall at times and we have lacked run. Our game plan and midfield has let our defence down at times but that is coming good.

We seem to have adequate depth here which is good.

Cuningham has potential but he needs to get fit and get there. I think Byrne will get there too, people put off by him taking the game on and making a few mistakes need to put that in perspective.

We are in a position where our young talent does not need to be rushed which is good.

With most of the Mothers Day shenanigans out the way, I can add a little of my own thinking to the mix. I'm not certain our most talented defensive combination is our best one.

Rowe seems, to me, an extremely vital component of our backline right now. He's not quick, he's not classy, but he's strong and disciplined and can be relied on to stay close to his man and prevent them from getting an easy run at the ball.

Having Rowe in the side allows Jones to play at his best. His burst speed and leap makes him a very valuable second tall, and his ball use is good enough that he can hurt sides on the rebound.

I think those two, plus only one of Weitering or Marchbank, gives us the best balance. Gut feel is that Weitering complements them better as a roaming intercept mark.

That leaves Marchbank needing to push someone out for me. Not because he's not good enough, but because he plays too similarly to Weiters, but Jacob does more once he gets the ball. Reckon Marchy needs to work hard on improving his closing speed so he can edge Jones out in that role.

Beyond that, I think we can safely lock Simmo into the group. Has his off days here and there, but he defends well and works hard up the ground too.

I also think it's hard to go past Daisy right now. He's in the best form of his tenure with the Blues, and seems at home down back where his workrate and smarts allow him to hamper opposition small forwards.

Williamson gets the last starting spot when fit. Good mix of size, speed, skill and sass. Versatile player with plenty of upside.

Always room for O'Brien on the wing, so he doesn't miss out.

Bench spot for one of Macreadie or Plowman rounds it out. Probably opposition matchup dependent. Smaller forwards, Plowman. A bit bigger, Macreadie.

Simpson, Rowe, Jones
Daisy, Weitering, Williamson
I/C: Macreadie or Plowman

Harsh on Marchbank or Cunners? Possibly. But as I said, not convinced our most talented backline is our best.

Thoughts?

Structure not really sorted until Doc gets back. He is the heart and soul of that backline, and makes everyone around him better.

Doc is our best general defender and our Defender-General.

Miss the Doc, can't wait til he's back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My #1 concern with the defensive structure and strategy is :

We paid pick#1 for the best intercept /rebound kick the draft has seen in a decade or more, and then some bright spark got the idea to trial him as a forward for awhile and then as FB at the age of 19 and let him body up on goal square gorillas for the next 3 years till his contract ends and we get a late second round pick from Geelong or Hawthorn - who make him their intercept taking rebound kicking star.

My #2 concern with defensive structure is:

We paid up for two tother defenders called Plowman and Marchbank - both of whom have questionable kicking skills one of whom is injured all the time and the other is apparently playing injured.

My #3 concern for the defensive structure is:

No one has a clue about running the ball out of defensive 50 - especially combined with the fact that no ne has a clue about kicking it in.

Last edited:
hmmmmm..........something about that six, your royal darkness..........can't quite put my finger on it............

Not only a heightist but ageist to boot.

Making some adjustments to BB's original list based on my gut feel/impressions:

Tall/Key defenders - Rowe, Jones, Silvagni, Macreadie, JGM
Medium/Intercept/general defenders - Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, O'Shea
Running/Rebound defenders - Docherty, Simpson, Williamson, Thomas, O'Brien*, Cuningham**, Byrne, Mullett, Shaw, Schumacher
* I see LOB as a winger.
** Reckon DC is a HFF.

Will start with the caveat that right now I can't really factor in ASOS or Byrne for this season due to their ability to be perpetually injured. Hopefully Ciaran can turn it around, he's talented and still very young. ASOS unfortunately does not have father time on his side.

Looking across that list I find it hard to see any of Rowe, ASOS, JGM, O'Shea, Simpson, Thomas, Mullett or Shaw being on our list come 2020. Will also be interesting to see who's there this time next year; from those 8 there could be 2 survivors or there could be 5 or 6. We're going to have to lose a few off the list this year and there's some defensive candidates who may find themselves out of the AFL system.

As far as structure, there's perhaps a few ways to go for the back 6 + 1. Do we go with 3 run/rebound and then a split of 4 tall/key/intercept/general defenders? Or are we better suited with 4 run/rebound and 3 of the taller guys?

Against * we had 2 tall/key (Rowe & Jones), 2 med/int/gen (Plowman & O'Shea) and 3 run/rebound (Simpson, Thomas, Mullett) and that seemed to work ok. Would the same structure look a bit better in a couple of weeks if it read Rowe & Jones, Weitering & Marchbank plus Simpson, Thomas & Williamson? That may be a good one for the back half of the year. What happens to that 7 if Rowe or Jones make way for Plowman or Macreadie? Or will we finish the season with all of Rowe, Jones, Weitering, Macreadie, Marchbank, & Plowman somehow packed onto the same team sheet for better or worse?...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back