Toast Defenders do it better

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy's been resolute as always, Aliir's been a revelation, Rampe's improved out of sight in terms of his disposal and intercept ability. Very encouraging to see the defence holding up so well again, consider that Jones, Laidler and Marsh are still out with injury all of a sudden we have a bit of depth in our back line.
Speaking of Jones, was pleased with his increased maturity shown on the field.

I saw that happen, it was almost funny because based on his reaction you'd think he'd just let in the goal that won port the game at the final siren or something. He was on his haunches with his head in his hands.
Enjoy your first live game Blue?

I must admit that at the start of the season I expected our defense to let us down. My greatest concern was a lack of pace.
It still worries me a little with Jones missing but our core defenders have been brilliant this year.
Grundy has stepped up to become an A grader, showing much greater composure and not making the mistakes that sometimes marred his game.
Rampe just brilliant. Smith ever reliable. Mills has been super consistent after a shaky start and Aliir has defied expectations.
I feel confident that we can make the changes necessary to deal with either a tall(think Adelaide, NMelbourne) forward line or small like Hawthorn.

team defense helps. yes, the back 6 have been enormous, but if the balls coming in too precisely, there's not much a defender can do. Shout out to the whole team as well. Oh, Aliir Aliir is a gun.

Rampe will go down as one of the greatest defenders in our clubs history.

Wow! Yes - he's had a good year. But it's no different to the year Leo Barry emerged in the same position and dominated. It would be a big feat if he could reach the same level as Barry, yet, Barry is not really considered a team of the century player, as far as I can see.

While our defenders have defied expectations, I think it's our midfield that's getting the job done.

I believe we still let in a large amount of i50s, but have the best defensive 50 record in terms of limiting scores from entries.

That tells me a) our defenders do a great job of winning the ball back, and more importantly b) our midfield do a great defensive job so that the entries aren't always lace out to a leading forward, or coming in so quickly that our defence isn't able to structure up.

The other aspect pointing to our midfield doing a great job is the fact that we've been able to blood so many youngsters and still perform so consistently. It's our midfield doing such a great job at winning the contest, and supporting in defence that the rest of the structures hold up.
It's probably part of the reason why our f50 entries are somewhat ineffective, I think our mids are spending a lot of energy supporting the defence that they're spent going forward.

Gotta hand it to horse though, he has the seniors supporting the youngsters and defensive unit as it was seen a weakness (that's debatable now).

I think our forward line is starting to gel, with tippo back, I think the team will go to another level, particularly with naismith showing that he can shoulder a fair part of the rucking role, allowing tippet to spend time wreaking havoc in the forward line. Also having Heeney, rohan & paps at each of buddy's and Tippetts feet, will make for some amazing viewing.

Can't wait till he gets back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back