Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNLWikiFan

Draftee
Sep 11, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
There was a guy who collated a massive amount of data for the Panton Hill FL (later incorporated into the DVFL). His account seems to have gone from here, but I might have in social media somewhere. I can try to alert him to this conversation, not sure what takes up his time these days. He might have more info to share with you.
That would be fantastic, thanks Mobbs :thumbsu:

MortlockWatcher

All Australian
Dec 18, 2013
West Oz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melville FC
According to the footy record, St Andrews-Coburg's nickname was the 'Sainters'. The footy record author (for his own amusement I suspect!), also called them the Undertakers as De Chene is across from the Coburg cemetery.
From memory, Peter Hille and his 'F-Troop' column. He had a wacky nickname for most clubs like the Stationmasters, Elitists, Backyard Boys and Young Boys Society. Rarely did he actually mention a club by name.

Mr north man

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is Chadstone still around remember them in the old SESFL comp years ago then folded then came back in the VAFA.
Any news if there still about.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: J. Brayshaw T. Jones C. Stanaway
HB: D. Barrett K. Stefanovic A. Loxley
C: S. Kruger E. McGuire (c) L. Wilkinson
HF: C. Hutchison P. Hitchener M. King
F: G. Lyon M. Lloyd B. Brownless
R: J. Newman S.Crawford R. Judd
Int (from): D. Hughes T. Grimshaw B. McLeod L. Nixon J. Hall
C. Wilson S. Craft A. Woolley S. Cam D. Goodrem
R. Martin J. Madden B. Madden J. Marais M. McElhinney
Coach: L. Oakes
Just read this again. Absolute gold.

Still think Bill Lawry stiff to miss out

MortlockWatcher

All Australian
Dec 18, 2013
West Oz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melville FC
Is Chadstone still around remember them in the old SESFL comp years ago then folded then came back in the VAFA.
Chadstone in the VAFA were the former Syndal-Tally Ho. They went into the Ammos and I think alternated between Clubbies and recess.
They are still playing - they were mid-ladder in the Division 4 Thirds this year.

Last edited:

Mobbs

A Large Portion, Yes
Nov 1, 2000
www.footypedia.com/qooty
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Chadstone - CODFL & SESFL: Folded around 1986. Maroon guernsey, blue yoke, gold monogram.
Played at Chadstone Park, Percy Trevyaud Park, East Caulfield Reserve.

Ashburton-Chadstone - ES(P)CFA & SFL: merger of Ashburton Uniting & Chadstone Salesian. Might have changed name to just Ashburton sometime in the 1990s, unsure. Green with red yoke (the Toffee Apples). Folded around 1995ish.

Syndal Tally Ho / Chadstone - Changed name to Chadstone in the 2000s. Red & White stripes. Jordan Reserve, Chadstone.

Bee Vee

Premium Gold
Jan 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember playing South Ringwood years ago. They wore Footscray jumpers and played at the footy ground that was out the front of the area the RIngwood baseball club played. Not far from the Ringwood golf course. Where the footy ground was is now taken up by Ringwood baseball club's newer main diamond.
Yep. Old memories for me. South Ringwood started out as Ringwood Uniting Football Club. That was their church association to play in the ESCFA. Until the church decided the club wasn't playing in the spirit required. ;)
They then changed their name to South Ringwood. Colours were originally green with a red yolk maybe (memory is not too good), then changed to Footscay colours. Played at Proclomation Park which is behind the Ringwood athletics track. Rarely a blade of grass on it in those days. We usually played in the lower grades and it was a reasonably "physical" club.
I started there around 1983? and played about 150 games. Played against Bellfield (Ford Park), Collingwood Districts, Hartwell, Highfield, Mt Waverley, Chadstone, South Yarra, Wonga Park, Blackburn North AND North Blackburn. Salvo Saints, Dandy West and plenty of others I've forgotten. Loved my time there until the club faded away and disbanded.
Great memories with plenty of wild days thrown in.

MortlockWatcher

All Australian
Dec 18, 2013
West Oz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melville FC
Yep. Old memories for me. South Ringwood started out as Ringwood Uniting Football Club. That was their church association to play in the ESCFA. Until the church decided the club wasn't playing in the spirit required. ;)
They then changed their name to South Ringwood. Colours were originally green with a red yolk maybe (memory is not too good), then changed to Footscay colours. Played at Proclomation Park which is behind the Ringwood athletics track. Rarely a blade of grass on it in those days. We usually played in the lower grades and it was a reasonably "physical" club.
I started there around 1983? and played about 150 games. Played against Bellfield (Ford Park), Collingwood Districts, Hartwell, Highfield, Mt Waverley, Chadstone, South Yarra, Wonga Park, Blackburn North AND North Blackburn. Salvo Saints, Dandy West and plenty of others I've forgotten. Loved my time there until the club faded away and disbanded.
Great memories with plenty of wild days thrown in.
I remember seeing their name in the ESCFA Record in the 80s and wondered where their ground was. I also wondered why they didn't play EDFL but was unaware they were a church team until now. You mentioned a few teams there that were as handy with their fists as they were the footy LOL.

Bee Vee

Premium Gold
Jan 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember seeing their name in the ESCFA Record in the 80s and wondered where their ground was. I also wondered why they didn't play EDFL but was unaware they were a church team until now. You mentioned a few teams there that were as handy with their fists as they were the footy LOL.
Yep. There were quite a few surrounding EDFL teams but in reality, this was a lower standard of footy. Especially the lower divisions. We attracted more of the lesser skilled players, those in their twilight years or those looking for the social aspect. And yes it was a bit of a wild comp in the lower divisions as a result. I had a few interesting games at Bellfield, Dandy West and Collingwood Districts amongst others. Mind you, our home ground wasn't viewed as a pleasant place for opposing teams to attend either. ;)

Foolmetwice

Debutant
Dec 7, 2009
Parkdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Chadstone - CODFL & SESFL: Folded around 1986. Maroon guernsey, blue yoke, gold monogram.
Played at Chadstone Park, Percy Trevyaud Park, East Caulfield Reserve.

Ashburton-Chadstone - ES(P)CFA & SFL: merger of Ashburton Uniting & Chadstone Salesian. Might have changed name to just Ashburton sometime in the 1990s, unsure. Green with red yoke (the Toffee Apples). Folded around 1995ish.

Syndal Tally Ho / Chadstone - Changed name to Chadstone in the 2000s. Red & White stripes. Jordan Reserve, Chadstone.
Chadstone wore the old Fitzroy jumpers. Dark Maroon with Navy yoke but had a white Carlton monogram

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad