Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Footy Classifieds and Information' started by mikey127, Jun 9, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. MortlockWatcher

MortlockWatcher Senior List

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Fitzroy Stars is separate to Brunswick - Stars played in MNFL (and WSFL as well?) and were around for years before that even

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. MortlockWatcher

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Brooklyn went to SFL in mid 2000s before folding (ex Wembley Park????)

Correct.

3. pazza

pazza Hall of Famer

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
  4. mrmeatman

mrmeatman Draftee

Collingwood
    Other teams:

5. mrmeatman

mrmeatman Draftee

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Hi. Do the records have the team lists? I played for Sandringham Sacred Heart back in the 80's and would really love a copy of the SSH lists if possible. Good memories....

6. MortlockWatcher

Carlton
    Other teams:
    No they didn't. They might have done it for Grand Finals though.

mrmeatman likes this.
  7. mrmeatman

mrmeatman Draftee

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Yeah, possibly. Can't seem to find much info at all, except a grand final on YouTube in 84. Will keep hunting.
    Thanks.

8. Christopher31

Christopher31 Rookie

Collingwood
    Other teams:

I played juniors at Holy Child 1977-79 in the Northern Metropolitan Football League. We wore blue jumpers with a yellow monogram, home ground was one of the ovals at Gibb Reserve. Gone the way of a few other clubs from around that area - Dallas Blues, Coolaroo Rovers, I think Upfield had a side too?

9. Stevi_Tigers

Stevi_Tigers Hall of Famer

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Manchester United
    played in the 90's but yeah at gibbs reserve. when i was there it was geelong jumpers

10. MortlockWatcher

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Holy Child was Rod 'Curly' Austin's old stomping ground.

11. Frustrated Tiger

Frustrated Tiger Premium Gold

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Newlands Colts, old Melbourne jumpers, ground at the back of the Coburg Athletics track was it not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Frustrated Tiger

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Nth Melb / Kensington home ground at the bottom of the commission flats....enough said...dog of a side.

13. Snake_Baker

Snake_Baker Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Had their own dedicated bong room and certain supporters used to pull roscoes on opposition fans when things got willing.

14. Snake_Baker

Snake_Baker Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I know of two clubs that aren't on your excellent list.

Essendon Baptists-St Johns : The club played out at Fairbairn Park, won the 1956 EDFL A grade flag and was home to Essendon greats such as Ron Evans, Ted Fordham, Ken Fraser and Don McKenzie. The club combined with the Ascot Vale Presbyterians to form the powerful Essendon - Tullamarine footy club which won a record 5 EDFL flags on the trot between 1975 to 1979. The club dropped the "Essendon" from their name in 1981.

West Essendon Youth Club (WEYC) Played on the top ground above Doutta Stars at Buckley Park. Was a founding member of the EDFL but struggled as a club only winning one C grade flag in the late 70's. Best known as the club where Gary Foulds originated.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  15. Frustrated Tiger

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Yeah got cleaned up once in the centre square....was certainly glad when they got the arse....

16. Dogs till i die

Dogs till i die All Australian

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
    Watching my older brother play in the old Metropolitan Protestant Churches Football League in the mid 70s, I recall a side called Jolimont who wore Collingwood jumpers and whose players were all deaf and dumb. Southport were another side in that Comp wearing South Melbourne jumpers and playing in Commercial Road

Williamstown Methodists evolved into Williamstown United and later Hobsons Bay before folding in the 90s.
    Sandridge played in the lower divisions of the WRFL in the mid 90s before folding. Think they evolved out of the Port Colts Club 18 side from the VAFA.
    The Essendon High Old Boys moved from the EDFL to the old FDFL and became North Essendon before folding around 1990.
    Newport YCW moved to the WSFL, became Newport East, wearing black with a white monogram and playing at Digman Reserve before folding shortly after the WSFL and FDFL merged to later became the WRFL.

Many clubs now hanging by a thread too, thankfully the game is still growing.

MortlockWatcher likes this.
  17. Wintle

Wintle Draftee

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Read this post with interest as I used to play for Box Hill Adelphians in the 1970's. We won the premiership for the C1 Grade competition in 1974 at a time when the then VFA club Box Hill was languishing around the bottom of the ladder more often than not.

It used to amuse us somewhat that to our knowledge we never saw a representative from the Box Hill Football Club even bother to come and watch us play, at least for the whole of the time that I played in this competition, especially considering that we played on Saturdays and Box Hill on Sundays. Pity for them, because if they had of bothered, I'm sure a few of our players might have improved their list. One year our main ruckman and captain of the time (name not disclosed due to privacy considerations) won the C1 Grade Best and Fairest for the League and there is little doubt in my mind that he would have made for quite a handy acquisition for the struggling Box Hill at the time.

But it was not to be.

18. Wintle

Wintle Draftee

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    I've read on the net that in in 1996, Box Hill Adelphians changed its name and/or merged with a team called Camberwell Power, but apparently the club disbanded in the same year and is no more.

19. mikey127

mikey127 Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    I boundary umpired a Camberwell Power game in 96. They played at that ground in behind Burke Road near the Monash Freeway.

20. Wintle

Wintle Draftee

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    It's a small world!!!!!!!
    Adelphians home ground when I played for them was in Elgar Road Box Hill

21. mikey127

mikey127 Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Elgar ark where Box Hill North play?

22. Wintle

Wintle Draftee

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Yes, I believe so but I live in Queensland now so I can't be certain. There are (or were) two football ovals within this rather large field sporting complex (including a hockey ground?) and Box Hill Adelphians played on the second oval in from Elgar Road. There is (or was) a single building comprising of two club rooms for the two football teams that played here and this sat basically between the two football ovals out in the middle of the whole complex.

Apparently for many years a photograph of the winning 1974 Adelphians premiership team (with me in it) hung on the wall of our club rooms, but who knows where this would be now.

mikey127 likes this.
  23. Reserves_dud

Reserves_dud Team Captain

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Correct except they were called Newlands Coburg

They merged with Coburg amateurs to become Coburg cougars playing out of de chene reserve

Didn’t last very long though

24. DeIulio2Pearce

DeIulio2Pearce Premium Gold

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I know De Chene is well and truly lost to soccer but was curious if any club plays out the back of the running track these days? Drove past the other day and goalposts were up.

25. Reserves_dud

Reserves_dud Team Captain

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Saw a sign for one of those social Lebanese football clubs there a while back

No proper local club though

DeIulio2Pearce likes this.