Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne | Page 4 | BigFooty

Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Footy Classifieds and Information' started by mikey127, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Snake_Baker

Snake_Baker Hall of Famer

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Pfffft, as if!
    I'm pretty sure EHSOB just folded outright and were never heard from again.

North Essendon played on the upper ground at Cooper Street where the old WEYC (West Essendon) used to play and was made up from remnants of that club.

DeIulio2Pearce likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Snake_Baker

Snake_Baker Hall of Famer

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Pfffft, as if!
    Yes, they became Wembley Park who then wound up in the early 2000's.

3. bignick

bignick Team Captain

Carlton
    Koonung Football Club who wore Hawthorn jumpers played on the other ground at Elgar Park.

4. Wintle

Wintle Rookie

St Kilda
    Thanks for this information which I had forgotten. Strangely, it was my understanding that the two clubs hardly had anything to do with each other and I can recall our players from Adelphians, discussing this very issue.

5. Sooper

Sooper Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    76ers
    Going through some old boxes and found a football premiers medallion from 1925 belonging to my Great-Grandfather which was surprising as I had no idea he used to play. Seeking any information of a current (possibly renamed/merged etc.) or more likely a defunct football that could possibly meet the initials W&C.C.F.C. (or WACCFC if I'm interpreting the below engraved writing incorrectly) based in Victoria somewhere that were their respective Leagues premiers in 1925.

Appreciate any info from the knowledgeable posters of BF!

Cheers

[​IMG]

6. Foolmetwice

Foolmetwice Rookie

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Detroit Red Wings
    AMP Society - VAFA (became Balaclava and later merged with Glenhuntly - now part of Glen Eira VAFA)

AMP Society merged with North Caulfield YCW at the end of the 1980 season but kept the the AMP name for the 1981 season. Name was changed to Balaclava for the 1982 season . Home ground was the Beaurepaire Centre - Oval 13 - at Albert Park.(right where the start/finish line for the Grand Prix is). AMP wore Royal blue & white stripes with a plain blue back but changed this to the North strip when they became Balaclava.

7. Mobbs

Mobbs A Large Portion, Yes

Other Teams:
    Fitzroy FC
    Oh this adds a new level to this merger pathway. I need to find my old infographic!
    Edit: Okay, updated.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  8. Adistar8888

Adistar8888 Draftee

Collingwood
    I'm chasing some old football records from the ESCFA for a Highfield Football Club reunion. Would you or anyone have any records from the 1980's that I could get copies of??

9. MortlockWatcher

MortlockWatcher Senior List

Carlton
    I have about three or four from over the decade. No finals. Can't put my finger or exactly where they are though.

10. arboc21

arboc21 Draftee

Richmond
    Hi
    So do you have them or not?

11. Here It Is

Here It Is Club Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Nor-West Jets, CDHBU, Sydney Kings
    Does anyone know anything about an Auburn Football Club who might have been around in the Hawthorn area in 1940?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Mobbs

Mobbs A Large Portion, Yes

Other Teams:
    Fitzroy FC
    I had this info , but its hardly complete. A bloke who is associated with the Southern FL was compiling history of many leagues including the old ESFL, he would have had more info.

Auburn Football Club (Vic)

Guernseys & Nicknames :
    1892 - Auburn wore red and blue stripes.
    1897 - Auburn wore a blue guernsey with red stockings.

Grounds :
    1892 - Auburn played at O'Shannessy's estate, in the Glenferrie district.
    1897 - Auburn were based in the Camberwell district.

Timeline :
    1890 - Auburn FC may have been formed this year.
    1891 - Auburn FC existed.
    1892 - Auburn FC existed, probably as a member of the Victorian Junior FA.
    1897 - Both The Grove FC and Edlington FC may have become or been absorbed into the Auburn FC which existed at this time.
    1898 - Camberwell Rovers FC may have been formed as a result of merger between Auburn FC and what was left of The Grove FC.

--------------

1921 - Box Hill Reporter DFL : Auburn finished 6th.
    1922 - Box Hill Reporter DFL : Auburn finished 4th.
    1923 - Box Hill Reporter DFL : Auburn finished 3rd.
    1924 - Box Hill Reporter DFL : Auburn finished 3rd.
    1925 - Box Hill Reporter DFL Grand Final : Auburn 12.11.83 defeated Blackburn 3.8.26.
    1926 - Box Hill Reporter DFL Grand Final : Auburn 16.14.110 defeated Balwyn 1.7.13.
    1935 - Eastern Suburban FL Grand Final : Auburn 18.18.114 defeated Caulfield City 14.6.90.
    1936 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
    1937 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade Grand Final : Auburn 13.9.87 defeated Box Hill 7.18.60.
    1938-39 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
    1940 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade Grand Final : Caulfield City 11.21.87 defeated Auburn 7.4.46.
    1941 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
    1945-46 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade West : Auburn participated.
    1947 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade West Grand Final : Auburn 16.16.112 defeated East Hawthorn 8.8.56.
    1948 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade West Grand Final : Auburn 12.24.96 defeated Tooronga 12.9.81.

1949 (Eastern Suburban FL A Grade) :
    A Grade East - Auburn participated.
    Semi-Final - Auburn 20.20.140 defeated East Hawthorn 15.14.104.
    Grand Final - Auburn 16.16.112 defeated Ringwood 5.6.36.

1950 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
    1951 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade Grand Final : Auburn 17.5.107 defeated Mitcham 13.10.88.
    1952-58 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
    1959 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade Grand Final : Burnley 14.22.106 defeated Auburn 9.10.64.
    1960 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
    1961 - Eastern Suburban FL : Auburn participated.
    1962 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn was 9th (last) near to after H&As.

eastfreo75 and 3121 premiers like this.
  13. Fizzler

Fizzler BFFCL Commissioner

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    BOLTS, REN, OKC, WFC, SCS, STORM
    Anyone know what’s happened to the Lalor Stars and West Lalor Dragons?
    There’s no trace of the Stars at WA Smith Reserve any more and the sign says it’s now home to a rugby club.
    West Lalor I have no idea what happened to them but I knew a few people who played for them not too long ago.

14. DeIulio2Pearce

DeIulio2Pearce Premium Gold

Carlton
    West Lalor last fielded junior teams in 2012 and went into recess, seemingly folded sadly. West Lalor Cricket Club who also used to play at Huskisson merged with Lalor CC to for Lalor Warriors CC about 10 years back. Not sure about Lalor Stars footy club.

Fizzler likes this.
  15. Fizzler

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    They seem to have also had teams in 2013 as this article talks about their Under 13 team
    http://nfnl.org.au/big-fortnight-for-dragons/
    Thank you though :thumbsu:
    Any idea when they started up?

DeIulio2Pearce likes this.
  16. David G

David G Team Captain

Collingwood
    Played at ANBY first year seniors 1990 won premiership memories also. In 1986 under 17 premiership

17. MortlockWatcher

MortlockWatcher Senior List

Carlton
    Brunswick Power and Fitzroy Stars are not connected.

Brunswick Power were also Camberwell Power at one stage IIRC

18. Joe Mama

Joe Mama Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Mernda, Murchison,Man City,
    Lalor Stars folded up around 2013, sadly in the later years of the club, they had a few on field issues, and although that didn't lead to them getting kicked out of the Northern League, it certainly didn't help.

That, and the demographic shift in the Lalor area lead to their demise, which is sad because the Lalor Stars were a strong club for a number of years and were affiliated with Mernda before they got their juniors up and running.

Thomastown helped pick up some of the slack after the demise of West Lalor and the Lalor Stars, but they don't field a full allotment of juniors just yet, but it's a start for the Bears, as they haven't had juniors of their own for several years.

Also, Fitzroy Stars have fielded some junior teams as well, (only 9's,11's & 13's), which is a good thing as well.

West Lalor wore a navy jumper with a white WLFC monogram, later they wore a navy jumper with a white V, Lalor Stars on the other hand, wore a Emerald Green jumper with a Red Yoke (like Melbourne) and a white Star on the left brest, then they moved to a green jumper with a white thunderbolt on the front with a red section seperating the green and the white.

The Lalor Stars C.C are still going strong on the two ovals at WA SMITH RESERVE

19. Fizzler

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    I used to do Auskick at the Stars, something seemed like it was a bit off with the club. Idk what it was. Never knew they were affiliated with Mernda though. Thomastown seem to be losing sides a bit. I know my club got a couple of players from them.
    My cousins played for WL when they had the white V. A nice classic jumper, the yellow numbers were a bit weird though.

20. Joe Mama

Joe Mama Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Mernda, Murchison,Man City,
    The affiliation wasn't a bad one for Mernda (because to get into the DVFL in the late 80's, you had to have a full allotment of junior teams), Mernda didn't have that, so they teamed up with Lalor Stars for about ten years or so, until there were more kids in the Mernda area, now they have heaps of juniors.

Thomastown's demographics skew older than the other clubs and suburbs around it, and when you have big junior clubs like Epping, Mernda, & South Morang close by, that does make it hard, also there's West Preston & Preston Bullants as well, but at least they're being proactive.

I think West Lalor had the gold numbers to differenciate themselves against Epping, but I like the traditional looking jumpers.

21. mikey127

mikey127 Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Post of the decade

22. local footy fan

local footy fan Team Captain

Geelong
    A couple more fro the northen suburbs Reservoir old boys and a whole competition in the PDJFA

23. members section

members section Team Captain

Melbourne
    Its a bit of a shame Southern Dragons ex vafa & sfl couldn't kick on. They were off the back of Box Hill North 3rds. A great man who I cant remember his name but used to post on here alot under 'jp_the_chinamen' was a massive pusher of the side & of Asian people breaking into footy. He also wasnt a bad footballer himself.