Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Mobbs

A Large Portion, Yes
Nov 1, 2000
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Joined the VAFA in F2 Section in 1993, G Section in 1994, and E Section East in 1995. Transferred to Eastern DFL Division 4 in 1996, finished 2nd last and went belly up
I've got a newsletter from Balwyn Combined somewhere. A bloke at an old workplace noticed I was a local footy history nerd and brought it in for me.
Might try to find it if anyone's keen. Probably no historical data surprises, just a social flier seemingly produced with a duplicator.

Hard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There used to be a junior footy club called Corpus Christi, which played in Oak Park on the back oval behind the pool.

There was also St. Christophers which played a stones throw from Airport West.

Both were in the EDFL in the early 90s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've got a newsletter from Balwyn Combined somewhere. A bloke at an old workplace noticed I was a local footy history nerd and brought it in for me.
Might try to find it if anyone's keen. Probably no historical data surprises, just a social flier seemingly produced with a duplicator.
Grew up in Balwyn so I'd be keen to find out more details of that club I'd yoyr newsletter helps.

MortlockWatcher

All Australian
Dec 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southern Outlaws CC
I remember a club playing next door to Carlton at Princes Park in 1980 (on the number two oval). I am pretty sure it was the whole season.
I always thought it was Princes Hill but Connor's reply says otherwise.
Anyone know who played there?

00Stinger

Duel Group 1 winner
May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
WRFL over the past few seasons have seen Coburg Dist. head back to the EDFL and port colts to the SFNL.
Manor Lakes is still a club and has women’s and juniors but with so many clubs in one area it was bound to happen.
From what I have heard Newport Power seniors were allowed to use the junior clubs name but they unfortunately didn’t stick to the agreement and were asked to relinquish the colours and name of the juniors.
Coburg really shouldn't be in the WRFL geographically anyway and Port Colts pulled out of the WRFL because of junior parents preferring their kids to play closer to home in the SFL rather than tracking out to the back end of Werribee for several games

The WRFL will lose more clubs in the North-West area, as Caroline Springs want to go to the EDFL. The Deer Park stuff certainly won't help their cause as more and more clubs will want to leave the league. They have however gained Point Cook, and should look into acquiring Melton South/Melton Bloods/Bacchus Marsh in the near future, it would be good for the league.

It will become the WerribeeRFL in the future I reckon. Or Wyndham. Whatever you want to call it. The EDFL will start pinching teams in and around the 3021 area.
So the EDFL have a strict rule of not allowing clubs to play in their league unless their juniors are also in the league. This is the reason that St Bernards run their juniors in the WRFL and not the EDFL

If the EDFL start pinching teams from around the 3021 postcode they are only going to get St Albans and Sunshine YCW of note. Albanvale, Braybrook, Albion & Sunshine Heights aren't exactly enviable clubs to pinch

Leigh58

Draftee
Jun 7, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Read this post with interest as I used to play for Box Hill Adelphians in the 1970's. We won the premiership for the C1 Grade competition in 1974 at a time when the then VFA club Box Hill was languishing around the bottom of the ladder more often than not.

It used to amuse us somewhat that to our knowledge we never saw a representative from the Box Hill Football Club even bother to come and watch us play, at least for the whole of the time that I played in this competition, especially considering that we played on Saturdays and Box Hill on Sundays. Pity for them, because if they had of bothered, I'm sure a few of our players might have improved their list. One year our main ruckman and captain of the time (name not disclosed due to privacy considerations) won the C1 Grade Best and Fairest for the League and there is little doubt in my mind that he would have made for quite a handy acquisition for the struggling Box Hill at the time.

But it was not to be.

Leigh58

Draftee
Jun 7, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi Wintle, I just saw this post.
I also played for Box Hill Adelphians and have great memories of playing in a premiership side with them in 1980.
We played Box Hill Pioneers.
By the way, my sons pointed out to me that this match had been uploaded to YouTube.
After we watched the game together, one of my sons informed me..."Dad, you were not as good as you said you were"...
Not to worry, it was fun to watch.
By the way, I actually believe that Adelphians had two players at the time who could have easily made it at Box Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh58

Draftee
Jun 7, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Curse you, internet! *shakes fist* :D
Thanks Mobbs. Would have responded earlier but I broke my foot again! (both feet 3 times in total recently. for surgery next week)...Those feet that kicked goals from all angles in the 70's & early 80's (my kids at least used to believe that) are no good now!
Perhaps I should stay off my feet (as well as the internet) for a while now?

Top Bottom