Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Looks like they were just called Collingwood.
The league also had teams such as Richmond, Carlton (Stars or Blues, or two separate teams?) and North Melbourne. Other teams from 1953 were Graham, Montague, West Footscray, AYC, Millers, Ivanhoe, Sunshine, Parkwood, Brooklyn, Angliss, Williamstown, Braybrook, and South Brunswick
Did VFL teams have Sunday Amateur affiliate clubs?
yes cheers for that, having a look at the photo now ..... it says Magpies football club, Sunday Amateur FL, winners of the Kenson Shield 1949, 50 AND 52 RUNNERS UP 1948

All the officials have what looks to be Collingwood blazers with the exact Collingwood magpie on the pocket.

looks to be some well known CFC names in the team or relations of ..... Utting, Dellamarta, Turner,

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Just on the above post, i think Kenson (shield) were bookmakers, FWIU there was no horse racing on Sunday and the Sunday league was very popular with the punters, a story from my Grandfather who i got the photo from stated that one time Collingwood who were a fair way in front at half time against a team i cant remember but a 'local identity' from around the area came into the change rooms at half time and proceeded to open his coat to everyone showing a pistol, ...... surprise surprise ...... Collingwood lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom