Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The Essendon High Old Boys moved from the EDFL to the old FDFL and became North Essendon before folding around 1990.

I'm pretty sure EHSOB just folded outright and were never heard from again.

North Essendon played on the upper ground at Cooper Street where the old WEYC (West Essendon) used to play and was made up from remnants of that club.

bignick

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, I believe so but I live in Queensland now so I can't be certain. There are (or were) two football ovals within this rather large field sporting complex (including a hockey ground?) and Box Hill Adelphians played on the second oval in from Elgar Road. There is (or was) a single building comprising of two club rooms for the two football teams that played here and this sat basically between the two football ovals out in the middle of the whole complex.

Apparently for many years a photograph of the winning 1974 Adelphians premiership team (with me in it) hung on the wall of our club rooms, but who knows where this would be now.

Koonung Football Club who wore Hawthorn jumpers played on the other ground at Elgar Park.

Wintle

Debutant
Aug 1, 2017
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
St Kilda
Koonung Football Club who wore Hawthorn jumpers played on the other ground at Elgar Park.
Thanks for this information which I had forgotten. Strangely, it was my understanding that the two clubs hardly had anything to do with each other and I can recall our players from Adelphians, discussing this very issue.

Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
76ers, Kansas City Chiefs
Going through some old boxes and found a football premiers medallion from 1925 belonging to my Great-Grandfather which was surprising as I had no idea he used to play. Seeking any information of a current (possibly renamed/merged etc.) or more likely a defunct football that could possibly meet the initials W&C.C.F.C. (or WACCFC if I'm interpreting the below engraved writing incorrectly) based in Victoria somewhere that were their respective Leagues premiers in 1925.

Appreciate any info from the knowledgeable posters of BF!

Cheers

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Foolmetwice

Debutant
Dec 7, 2009
Parkdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
AMP Society - VAFA (became Balaclava and later merged with Glenhuntly - now part of Glen Eira VAFA)

AMP Society merged with North Caulfield YCW at the end of the 1980 season but kept the the AMP name for the 1981 season. Name was changed to Balaclava for the 1982 season . Home ground was the Beaurepaire Centre - Oval 13 - at Albert Park.(right where the start/finish line for the Grand Prix is). AMP wore Royal blue & white stripes with a plain blue back but changed this to the North strip when they became Balaclava.

AMP Society - VAFA (became Balaclava and later merged with Glenhuntly - now part of Glen Eira VAFA)

AMP Society merged with North Caulfield YCW at the end of the 1980 season but kept the the AMP name for the 1981 season. Name was changed to Balaclava for the 1982 season . Home ground was the Beaurepaire Centre - Oval 13 - at Albert Park.(right where the start/finish line for the Grand Prix is). AMP wore Royal blue & white stripes with a plain blue back but changed this to the North strip when they became Balaclava.
Oh this adds a new level to this merger pathway. I need to find my old infographic!
Edit: Okay, updated.

Last edited:

Adistar8888

Draftee
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I will add any more that I or anyone else adds in bold to distinguish from the 1960 list.

I will go through some old ESCFA and SESFL Records from the 1980s, which should add another 15-20!

I'm chasing some old football records from the ESCFA for a Highfield Football Club reunion. Would you or anyone have any records from the 1980's that I could get copies of??

Does anyone know anything about an Auburn Football Club who might have been around in the Hawthorn area in 1940?

I had this info , but its hardly complete. A bloke who is associated with the Southern FL was compiling history of many leagues including the old ESFL, he would have had more info.

Auburn Football Club (Vic)

Guernseys & Nicknames :
1892 - Auburn wore red and blue stripes.
1897 - Auburn wore a blue guernsey with red stockings.

Grounds :
1892 - Auburn played at O'Shannessy's estate, in the Glenferrie district.
1897 - Auburn were based in the Camberwell district.

Timeline :
1890 - Auburn FC may have been formed this year.
1891 - Auburn FC existed.
1892 - Auburn FC existed, probably as a member of the Victorian Junior FA.
1897 - Both The Grove FC and Edlington FC may have become or been absorbed into the Auburn FC which existed at this time.
1898 - Camberwell Rovers FC may have been formed as a result of merger between Auburn FC and what was left of The Grove FC.

--------------

1921 - Box Hill Reporter DFL : Auburn finished 6th.
1922 - Box Hill Reporter DFL : Auburn finished 4th.
1923 - Box Hill Reporter DFL : Auburn finished 3rd.
1924 - Box Hill Reporter DFL : Auburn finished 3rd.
1925 - Box Hill Reporter DFL Grand Final : Auburn 12.11.83 defeated Blackburn 3.8.26.
1926 - Box Hill Reporter DFL Grand Final : Auburn 16.14.110 defeated Balwyn 1.7.13.
1935 - Eastern Suburban FL Grand Final : Auburn 18.18.114 defeated Caulfield City 14.6.90.
1936 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
1937 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade Grand Final : Auburn 13.9.87 defeated Box Hill 7.18.60.
1938-39 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
1940 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade Grand Final : Caulfield City 11.21.87 defeated Auburn 7.4.46.
1941 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
1945-46 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade West : Auburn participated.
1947 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade West Grand Final : Auburn 16.16.112 defeated East Hawthorn 8.8.56.
1948 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade West Grand Final : Auburn 12.24.96 defeated Tooronga 12.9.81.

1949 (Eastern Suburban FL A Grade) :
A Grade East - Auburn participated.
Semi-Final - Auburn 20.20.140 defeated East Hawthorn 15.14.104.
Grand Final - Auburn 16.16.112 defeated Ringwood 5.6.36.

1950 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
1951 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade Grand Final : Auburn 17.5.107 defeated Mitcham 13.10.88.
1952-58 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
1959 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade Grand Final : Burnley 14.22.106 defeated Auburn 9.10.64.
1960 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn participated.
1961 - Eastern Suburban FL : Auburn participated.
1962 - Eastern Suburban FL A Grade : Auburn was 9th (last) near to after H&As.

Anyone know what’s happened to the Lalor Stars and West Lalor Dragons?
There’s no trace of the Stars at WA Smith Reserve any more and the sign says it’s now home to a rugby club.
West Lalor I have no idea what happened to them but I knew a few people who played for them not too long ago.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
Anyone know what’s happened to the Lalor Stars and West Lalor Dragons?
There’s no trace of the Stars at WA Smith Reserve any more and the sign says it’s now home to a rugby club.
West Lalor I have no idea what happened to them but I knew a few people who played for them not too long ago.

West Lalor last fielded junior teams in 2012 and went into recess, seemingly folded sadly. West Lalor Cricket Club who also used to play at Huskisson merged with Lalor CC to for Lalor Warriors CC about 10 years back. Not sure about Lalor Stars footy club.

West Lalor last fielded junior teams in 2012 and went into recess, seemingly folded sadly. West Lalor Cricket Club who also used to play at Huskisson merged with Lalor CC to for Lalor Warriors CC about 10 years back. Not sure about Lalor Stars footy club.
They seem to have also had teams in 2013 as this article talks about their Under 13 team
http://nfnl.org.au/big-fortnight-for-dragons/
Thank you though :thumbsu:
Any idea when they started up?

David G

Club Legend
May 8, 2017
Palm cove
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have several fixture books from the early 90s for the FDFL (now WRFL) and its amazing how quickly clubs come and go. This all happened in a 15-20 year period, showing the incredible change that has occurred in the western region. Thankfully the WRFL is growing again. Some of those listed who are no longer around are:

Altona North Brooklyn Youth (ANBY) Black / Gold sash, only had a senior team for 2 years, folded late 90s;
Ascot Vale (ex-EDFL) Black / Red sash, folded late 90s
Braybrook YCW (ex YCWNFL), Maroon, Gold 'V', folded early 90s
Brooklyn went to SFL in mid 2000s before folding (ex Wembley Park????)
Brunswick Amateurs (ex-VAFA), Red & White stripes, folded around 2000
Brunswick Power, Red,Yellow & Black, expelled in 2007 & folded, forerunner to current Fitzroy Stars (NFL) ???
Central Altona (ex WSFL), Black, Yellow Yoke, expelled for behaviour 2007
East Brunswick (ex-??), Black & White stripes, folded late 90s
Fawkner Amateurs (Ex-VAFA), Navy, Light blue, with white monogram, became Fawkner Park, moving to EDFL around 2000
Flemington (ex-YCWNFL), Royal Blue, Gold sash, folded around 2003
Gladsone Park (ex EDFL), blue & red stripes, folded 2007
Kealba Green Gully, Bottle Green, white 'V', folded early 2000s
Kensington Hill (Hammerheads), folded 2002
Kingsville, Navy Blue, gold sash became Yarraville (not associated with former VFA side), eventually merging with Seddon in 2008
Newlands Coburg (ex-VAFA), Royal Blue, Red Yoke, folded early 90s
Newport, Maroon, Gold 'V', expelled behaviour late 90s
Newport East (ex Newport YCW, YCWNFL) Black, white monogram, folded late 1980s
North Essendon derived from Ess.High School Ex-Students (ex-EDFL), folded late 90s
North Melbourne & Kensington, Blue,White sash, expelled behaviour late 90s
RAAF Melbourne, Royal Blue & Gold, folded early 90s
Sandridge (ex-VAFA), White, Red Yoke, folded early 90s
Seddon, Brown & Gold stripes, merged with Yarraville 2008
St.Albans South (WSFL) folded early 80s
Sunshine VRI, Footscray jumpers, folded early 90s
Wembley Park, Maroon, White 'V', folded late 90s
West Newport (ex-WSFL), red & blue stripes, folded early 2000s
Williamstown United, formerly W'Town Methodists, became Hobsons Bay, Blue, gold sash, folded late 90s
Played at ANBY first year seniors 1990 won premiership memories also. In 1986 under 17 premiership

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
They seem to have also had teams in 2013 as this article talks about their Under 13 team
http://nfnl.org.au/big-fortnight-for-dragons/
Thank you though :thumbsu:
Any idea when they started up?
Lalor Stars folded up around 2013, sadly in the later years of the club, they had a few on field issues, and although that didn't lead to them getting kicked out of the Northern League, it certainly didn't help.

That, and the demographic shift in the Lalor area lead to their demise, which is sad because the Lalor Stars were a strong club for a number of years and were affiliated with Mernda before they got their juniors up and running.

Thomastown helped pick up some of the slack after the demise of West Lalor and the Lalor Stars, but they don't field a full allotment of juniors just yet, but it's a start for the Bears, as they haven't had juniors of their own for several years.

Also, Fitzroy Stars have fielded some junior teams as well, (only 9's,11's & 13's), which is a good thing as well.

West Lalor wore a navy jumper with a white WLFC monogram, later they wore a navy jumper with a white V, Lalor Stars on the other hand, wore a Emerald Green jumper with a Red Yoke (like Melbourne) and a white Star on the left brest, then they moved to a green jumper with a white thunderbolt on the front with a red section seperating the green and the white.

The Lalor Stars C.C are still going strong on the two ovals at WA SMITH RESERVE

Lalor Stars folded up around 2013, sadly in the later years of the club, they had a few on field issues, and although that didn't lead to them getting kicked out of the Northern League, it certainly didn't help.

That, and the demographic shift in the Lalor area lead to their demise, which is sad because the Lalor Stars were a strong club for a number of years and were affiliated with Mernda before they got their juniors up and running.

Thomastown helped pick up some of the slack after the demise of West Lalor and the Lalor Stars, but they don't field a full allotment of juniors just yet, but it's a start for the Bears, as they haven't had juniors of their own for several years.

Also, Fitzroy Stars have fielded some junior teams as well, (only 9's,11's & 13's), which is a good thing as well.

West Lalor wore a navy jumper with a white WLFC monogram, later they wore a navy jumper with a white V, Lalor Stars on the other hand, wore a Emerald Green jumper with a Red Yoke (like Melbourne) and a white Star on the left brest, then they moved to a green jumper with a white thunderbolt on the front with a red section seperating the green and the white.

The Lalor Stars C.C are still going strong on the two ovals at WA SMITH RESERVE
I used to do Auskick at the Stars, something seemed like it was a bit off with the club. Idk what it was. Never knew they were affiliated with Mernda though. Thomastown seem to be losing sides a bit. I know my club got a couple of players from them.
My cousins played for WL when they had the white V. A nice classic jumper, the yellow numbers were a bit weird though.

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
I used to do Auskick at the Stars, something seemed like it was a bit off with the club. Idk what it was. Never knew they were affiliated with Mernda though. Thomastown seem to be losing sides a bit. I know my club got a couple of players from them.
My cousins played for WL when they had the white V. A nice classic jumper, the yellow numbers were a bit weird though.

The affiliation wasn't a bad one for Mernda (because to get into the DVFL in the late 80's, you had to have a full allotment of junior teams), Mernda didn't have that, so they teamed up with Lalor Stars for about ten years or so, until there were more kids in the Mernda area, now they have heaps of juniors.

Thomastown's demographics skew older than the other clubs and suburbs around it, and when you have big junior clubs like Epping, Mernda, & South Morang close by, that does make it hard, also there's West Preston & Preston Bullants as well, but at least they're being proactive.

I think West Lalor had the gold numbers to differenciate themselves against Epping, but I like the traditional looking jumpers.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: J. Brayshaw T. Jones C. Stanaway
HB: D. Barrett K. Stefanovic A. Loxley
C: S. Kruger E. McGuire (c) L. Wilkinson
HF: C. Hutchison P. Hitchener M. King
F: G. Lyon M. Lloyd B. Brownless
R: J. Newman S.Crawford R. Judd
Int (from): D. Hughes T. Grimshaw B. McLeod L. Nixon J. Hall
C. Wilson S. Craft A. Woolley S. Cam D. Goodrem
R. Martin J. Madden B. Madden J. Marais M. McElhinney
Coach: L. Oakes
Post of the decade

members section

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Its a bit of a shame Southern Dragons ex vafa & sfl couldn't kick on. They were off the back of Box Hill North 3rds. A great man who I cant remember his name but used to post on here alot under 'jp_the_chinamen' was a massive pusher of the side & of Asian people breaking into footy. He also wasnt a bad footballer himself.

Foolmetwice

Debutant
Dec 7, 2009
Parkdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Can anyone shed some light on the original Chadstone (1950-1985/6) club. They played out of Treyvaud Memorial Park and wore Fitzroy jumpers with the CFC (Carlton) monogram.

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
I am pretty sure that become Ashburton-Chadstone in the late 1980s (1986 or 1987?) and played in the ESCFA until it ended in 1992.

I reckon they played for two seasons in the lower grades of the SFL before folding.

The SFL had something like five divisions after the merger and in a period of 2-3 seasons contracted by at least one division after the loss of Ashburton-Chadstone, Box Hill Adelphians, Camberwell Power, Collingwood Districts, Fairfield, Heidelberg Colts, North Blackburn and the Richmond Rosellas amongst others.

Back