Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
If it is the same club that you are thinking of, then Australianfootball.com says that they were known as Chadstone Salesians and were formed in 1957.

It says that they played in the ESCFA and merged with Ashburton Uniting in 1985 to become Ashburton-Chadstone.

Obviously the current Chadstone club is not connected as they were formerly known as Syndal-Tally Ho until about 10 years ago.

Dec 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I found out today that the club listed above was a different Chadstone.

This is on the history section of the Southern Football League website:

Chadstone joined from the Caulfield-Oakleigh District Football League in 1963 having commenced in the Reserve Open grade in 1959 and 1960 then into A grade 1961 and 1962. Playing at what is now Percy Treyvaud Memorial Park, they continued through to 1977 then moved to the vacant East Caulfield Reserve for 1978 and 1979.

In 1980, part of the club merged with a reformed Carnegie to form Carnegie-Chadstone playing for one season at East Caulfield. Another section of the club returned to their original ground as Chadstone continuing until 1985 before disbanding. The club did re-appear as Ashburton-Chadstone for 1993.

Dec 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
B: J. Brayshaw T. Jones C. Stanaway
HB: D. Barrett K. Stefanovic A. Loxley
C: S. Kruger E. McGuire (c) L. Wilkinson
HF: C. Hutchison P. Hitchener M. King
F: G. Lyon M. Lloyd B. Brownless
R: J. Newman S.Crawford R. Judd
Int (from): D. Hughes T. Grimshaw B. McLeod L. Nixon J. Hall
C. Wilson S. Craft A. Woolley S. Cam D. Goodrem
R. Martin J. Madden B. Madden J. Marais M. McElhinney
Coach: L. Oakes

Communications Manager: P. Harvey ..... Canberra

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
We were just under the Westgate bridge.. I played when we were in the western region early 2000's.

Brooklyn at that time were not competitive in WRFL Div 2 and transferred to SFL to better compete in its third division.

Could be still around if the WRFL had a third division back then as it does now.

Wonder if any of these defunct footy clubs have reunions
East Hawthorn had a reunion a couple of years ago. And I think Appin did too, and Northern United (near Bendigo). Generally it tends to be the anniversary of a premiership or some such. Marnoo actually put a team together a couple of years back (filled with sons of players as a pre-requisite) and played a scratch match v, I think, Rupanyup, which became part of Rup's pre-season praccy schedule.

Seddon
North Melbourne-Kensington
Central Altona
Newport
Gladstone Park
Brunswick power
East Brunswick
Flemington
Green Gully

All WRFL/FDFL teams I can think of that have folded since the 90's

Also had Central Altona on the freeway only 2 Kms to the west, who also folded around 2006. More accurately kicked out of the WRFL.
have 3 games abandoned due to all in brawls during the season will do that to you

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
Seddon
North Melbourne-Kensington
Central Altona
Newport
Gladstone Park
Brunswick power
East Brunswick
Flemington
Green Gully

All WRFL/FDFL teams I can think of that have folded since the 90's
I know they're a different club, but there's a team representing NEWPORT in the WRFL now (that used to be NEWPORT POWER) but sadly, MANOR LAKES have disbanded (they still have juniors though).

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Does the WRFL seem to have more club changes than other suburban leagues?
The Northern League has expanded rapidly (Eltham College, Kilmore, Laurimar, Fitzroy Stars & a reformed Reservoir), The EFL now has 5 divisions with Croydon North/Old Lilydale MCOB, The Southern League has expanded within the growth areas, but they haven't lost the clubs like the WRFL has, that's for sure.

Does the WRFL seem to have more club changes than other suburban leagues?
It's kind of cyclical. Southern FL dropped 2 divisions worth of clubs within about 10 years back from it's inception around 1990ish.

The Northern League has expanded rapidly (Eltham College, Kilmore, Laurimar, Fitzroy Stars & a reformed Reservoir), The EFL now has 5 divisions with Croydon North/Old Lilydale MCOB, The Southern League has expanded within the growth areas, but they haven't lost the clubs like the WRFL has, that's for sure.

WRFL over the past few seasons have seen Coburg Dist. head back to the EDFL and port colts to the SFNL.
Manor Lakes is still a club and has women’s and juniors but with so many clubs in one area it was bound to happen.
From what I have heard Newport Power seniors were allowed to use the junior clubs name but they unfortunately didn’t stick to the agreement and were asked to relinquish the colours and name of the juniors.

Also where is the horizontal stroke in the f in this logo?
A09952DB-1C8B-4444-8CD5-95A7C19D184E.jpeg

In the Thirds

Team Captain
Nov 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
WRFL over the past few seasons have seen Coburg Dist. head back to the EDFL and port colts to the SFNL.
Manor Lakes is still a club and has women’s and juniors but with so many clubs in one area it was bound to happen.
From what I have heard Newport Power seniors were allowed to use the junior clubs name but they unfortunately didn’t stick to the agreement and were asked to relinquish the colours and name of the juniors.

Also where is the horizontal stroke in the f in this logo?
View attachment 745510
I think your over thinking things, LOL

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The WRFL will lose more clubs in the North-West area, as Caroline Springs want to go to the EDFL. The Deer Park stuff certainly won't help their cause as more and more clubs will want to leave the league. They have however gained Point Cook, and should look into acquiring Melton South/Melton Bloods/Bacchus Marsh in the near future, it would be good for the league.

It will become the WerribeeRFL in the future I reckon. Or Wyndham. Whatever you want to call it. The EDFL will start pinching teams in and around the 3021 area.

The WRFL will lose more clubs in the North-West area, as Caroline Springs want to go to the EDFL. The Deer Park stuff certainly won't help their cause as more and more clubs will want to leave the league. They have however gained Point Cook, and should look into acquiring Melton South/Melton Bloods/Bacchus Marsh in the near future, it would be good for the league.

It will become the WerribeeRFL in the future I reckon. Or Wyndham. Whatever you want to call it. The EDFL will start pinching teams in and around the 3021 area.
It's a pretty big expansion area population-wise, yeah? I mean Werribee thru Altona etc.

Do the Meltons and Bacchus Marshs currently play Ballarat or Riddell leagues? Or maybe split over both?

I remember when Central Highlands took on the balance of Lexton Plains teams and had like a 96-team league I thought things would continue to change for a while around there

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A couple more fro the northen suburbs Reservoir old boys and a whole competition in the PDJFA
I was there when R.o.Bs died. Laurie Hill was the appointed coach but most of the players went to play for Nth Heidelberg. Also played in the PDJFA for Regent inside the trotting track across the road from Northland. Leigh Carlson (Magpies n Lions) was my Captain and we also had Shane Ryles (Bullants). We played Preston Scouts, Wanderers, Thornbury Oppos, Heidelberg Colts, Olympic, Swimmers, Preston RSL, Nth Reservoir, RoBs, Keon Park and Kingsbury. Cant think of any more but may have played against Bellfield one season who had the most horrible jumpers ever.....Brown with Red Yoke or V.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace

The WRFL have offerred a home to many clubs over the last 20-30 years, most of whom would not be considered a "western region" team in a drive to expand.

Consider these teams to have played in the FDFL / WRFL over that period from outside the region - Gladstone Park, North Essendon, Ascot Vale, Flemington, Coburg Districts, Coburg Newlands, Port Melbourne Colts, East Brunswick, Brunswick Power, Brunswick Amateurs, Fawkner Amateurs (then Fawkner Park), Thornbury, North Melbourne / Kensington and Sandridge. Many were weaker clubs when they joined, whilst others were not wanted by their previous leagues (e.g old EDFL clubs who could not satisfy that league's requirement to field junior teams).

I don't think their demise reflects poorly on the WRFL, many were weaker clubs playing out of their "zone" and they couldn't be sustained (with the exception of Coburg Districts and Port Melbourne Colts who are thankfully now thriving in competitions closer to them and more suited).

Many other western region based teams have folded particularly during the 1980s and 90s but the WRFL has not lost a club (i.e club has folded) since Central Altona (behaviour) and Brunswick Power (lack of players) in 2007 and since then has added 9 clubs, 7 of them new start up clubs. Thankfully, the league is expanding again, with more sustainable clubs than previously, and importanly all those new clubs have junior programs, some of them very large and successful.

The future is bright I think, but the West's changing demographics is not helping the WRFL expanding as quickly as the population.

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The WRFL have offerred a home to many clubs over the last 20-30 years, most of whom would not be considered a "western region" team in a drive to expand.

Consider these teams to have played in the FDFL / WRFL over that period from outside the region - Gladstone Park, North Essendon, Ascot Vale, Flemington, Coburg Districts, Coburg Newlands, Port Melbourne Colts, East Brunswick, Brunswick Power, Brunswick Amateurs, Fawkner Amateurs (then Fawkner Park), Thornbury, North Melbourne / Kensington and Sandridge. Many were weaker clubs when they joined, whilst others were not wanted by their previous leagues (e.g old EDFL clubs who could not satisfy that league's requirement to field junior teams).

I don't think their demise reflects poorly on the WRFL, many were weaker clubs playing out of their "zone" and they couldn't be sustained (with the exception of Coburg Districts and Port Melbourne Colts who are thankfully now thriving in competitions closer to them and more suited).

Many other western region based teams have folded particularly during the 1980s and 90s but the WRFL has not lost a club (i.e club has folded) since Central Altona (behaviour) and Brunswick Power (lack of players) in 2007 and since then has added 9 clubs, 7 of them new start up clubs. Thankfully, the league is expanding again, with more sustainable clubs than previously, and importanly all those new clubs have junior programs, some of them very large and successful.

The future is bright I think, but the West's changing demographics is not helping the WRFL expanding as quickly as the population.
You're always going to be beholdent to the flows of population, with inner city areas getting older and young families moving out to the outer western suburbs, but it's good to see an increase of senior clubs and especially when it comes to the juniors and with the Bulldogs helping out the WRFL, hopefully the league can grow in the future.

May 23, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
From Amateur Footballer magazines:

Combined Country Colleges was a merger of St. Patrick's-Monivae OC and Assumption OC between 1978 and 1981, but in 1982 the merger ended and Assumption OC resumed for two more seasons.

GTV-9 lasted from 1986 to 1989, but spent the last three seasons in the senior lower sections where Club XVIII's played, so I guess that's why the VAFA site only lists 1986. They played at Swinburne Junior Tech Campus first (which Richmond Central used in 1987), next to Fritsch Holzer Park (known as the Tip because the park at the time was actually the City of Hawthorn Tip), and played on Oval 8 (Bill Woodfull Oval today) at Albert Park from 1988 or 1989

La Trobe Reds lasted from 1971 to 1977, not just 1971, and withdrew pre-season 1978. The regular La Trobe University team was known as La Trobe Blacks during this time and were back to their normal university name by the time the Reds left.

Princes Hill had a shortlived tenure 1979 to 1981 (transferred from Northern Metropolitan FL) and played at McAlister Oval (in 1980 at least), adjacent to West Brunswick's oval. I think they disbanded after that.

West Heidelberg YCW became St. Pius when they moved to the VAFA in 1979. By 1983 they were in C Section and doing fairly well, but after that they never appeared in the league. They weren't in the Eastern Suburban Churches FA or YCW FL in 1984 from what I've seen.

Last edited:

InFineForm

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2006
Hawthorn East
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
I have a one copy of the ESCFA Record from each season from 1985-88 and it is a passing parade of defunct clubs.

All the member clubs from this period are as follows:

Five Grades - 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988

Ashburton (1985 - C)
Chadstone Salesians (1985 - E)

Ashburton/Chadstone (1986-88 - D)

Aquinas (1985-86 - B)
went to VAFA and currently play in D3

Balwyn Combined (1985 - C; 1986-87 - B; 1988 - A)
went to EDFL in 1994(?) and folded after that season

Bellfield (1987-88 - E)

Bentleigh (1985-88 - B)

Black Rock (1985 - C)
are they connected to the current SFL club?

Blackburn North Burners (1985-88 - E)

Box Hill Adelphians (1985 - C; 1986 - D; 1987-88 - E)
Did they become Camberwell Power(?) ex-SFL club

Canterbury/North Balwyn (1985, 1987-88 - B; 1986 - C)

Caulfield (1985-88 - E)

Cheltenham Assumption (1985 - A; 1986 - B; 1987 - C)

Clayton Saints (1985-86, 1988 - E; 1987 - D)

Collingwood (1987 - E; 1988 - D)

Dandenong South (1987 - D; 1988 - C)
current day Dandenong SFL Div. 3 (?)

Dandenong West (1987-88 - E)
current day Dandenong SFL Div. 3 (?)

Donvale United (1985-88 - A)
went to EDFL Div. 3 in 1991 and rose to Div. 1. In recess in 2014 and now play in Div. 4

East Bentleigh (1985 , 1987-88 - D; 1986 - E)

East Camberwell (1985-87 - A; 1988- B)
merged with Surrey Hills EDFL as Surrey Park. Playing in Div. 4

East Malvern (1985-87 - E)

Elsternwick (1985-86, 1988 - C; 1987 - B)

Emmanuel (1985 - A; 1986-88 - B)

Fairfield (1987-88 - D)
went to SFL and then to DVFL as Fairfield Park

Gardenvale (1985-87 - D; 1988 - C)

Glen Waverley (1985-87 - B; 1988 - C)

Glenhuntly S.A. (1985 - D; 1986-88 - C)

Hampton United (1985-88 - A)
now Hampton SFL Div. 2 (?)

Hartwell (1985, 1988 - D; 1986-87 - E)

Hawthorn Y.C. (1985 - E; 1986-88 - D)

Highfield (1985-86 - C; 1987-88 - D)

Koonung (1985 - D; 1986 - C)

Knox (1985 - E; 1986-88 - D)
currently in EFL Div. 1

Lower Plenty (1986 - D; 1987- C; 1988 - B)
played in SFL before moving to DVFL in 1995. Now plays in Div. 1 ofNFL

Mazenod (1985, 1988 - B; 1986-87 - A)
now in VAFA and currently play in B Section

Mt. Waverley (1985 - B; 1986-88 - C)
now plays in Div. 3 SFL

Moorabbin West (1986-88 - E)
now plays in Div. 3 SFL as Moorabbin

Murrumbeena/Sth Caulfield (1985-86 - C; 1987-88 - B)
part of the current day Glen Eira (D3 VAFA)?

Noble Park Bears (1985, 1987-88 - C; 1986 - B)
later played in EDFL as Noble Park Bears, folded c.mid-1990s

North Blackburn (1985-88 - E)

Oakleigh Scared Heart (1985-88 - A)

Richmond Amateurs (1987-88 - D)

Ringwood (1985-87 - E)
South Ringwood (1988 - E)

St Kevin's Ormond (1985-86 - B; 1987-88 - A)

St Leo's/Wattle Park (1985-88 - A)
ent to VAFA and now play as Emmaus St.Leo's in D3

St Mary's (1985-86 - A; 1987-88 - B)

St Pats/Mentone (1985-88 - C)
ex-YCWNFA team, later merged with Parkdale and are currently playing as Parkdale Vultures in VAFA B Section

St Paul's Bentleigh (1985 - B; 1986-88 - A)
went to SFL and currently play in Div. 1

Salvation Army (1986 - E)
Salvo Saints (1987 - D; 1988 - E)

Sandringham Sacred Heart (1985-86, 1988 - D; 1987 - E)

South Yarra (1985-87 - D; 1988 - E)
current South Yarra SFL Div. 3(?)

Springvale (1985 - D; 1986-88 - C)
Springvale Districts - currently in SFL Div.2(?)

Syndal-Tally Ho (1985-86, 1988 - A; 1987 - B)
now Chadstone VAFA in D4

Wattle Park (1985-87 - C; 1988 - B)
later merged with Doncaster East EDFL

West Ivanhoe (1986 - D; 1987-88 - C)
ex-YCWNFA?

Wonga Park (1985 - C)
moved to EDFL, renamed Croydon North and folded c.1990s - plays as a Veterans club now
I have a one copy of the ESCFA Record from each season from 1985-88 and it is a passing parade of defunct clubs.

All the member clubs from this period are as follows:

Five Grades - 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988

Canterbury/North Balwyn (1985, 1987-88 - B; 1986 - C)
Merged with Bulleen United in 1996 to become Bulleen Cobras. Name change early 2000's to become Manningham Cobras.

Back