Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

NFNLWikiFan

Rookie
Sep 11, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
There was a guy who collated a massive amount of data for the Panton Hill FL (later incorporated into the DVFL). His account seems to have gone from here, but I might have in social media somewhere. I can try to alert him to this conversation, not sure what takes up his time these days. He might have more info to share with you.

That would be fantastic, thanks Mobbs :thumbsu:

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
According to the footy record, St Andrews-Coburg's nickname was the 'Sainters'. The footy record author (for his own amusement I suspect!), also called them the Undertakers as De Chene is across from the Coburg cemetery.

From memory, Peter Hille and his 'F-Troop' column. He had a wacky nickname for most clubs like the Stationmasters, Elitists, Backyard Boys and Young Boys Society. Rarely did he actually mention a club by name.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is Chadstone still around remember them in the old SESFL comp years ago then folded then came back in the VAFA.
Any news if there still about.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: J. Brayshaw T. Jones C. Stanaway
HB: D. Barrett K. Stefanovic A. Loxley
C: S. Kruger E. McGuire (c) L. Wilkinson
HF: C. Hutchison P. Hitchener M. King
F: G. Lyon M. Lloyd B. Brownless
R: J. Newman S.Crawford R. Judd
Int (from): D. Hughes T. Grimshaw B. McLeod L. Nixon J. Hall
C. Wilson S. Craft A. Woolley S. Cam D. Goodrem
R. Martin J. Madden B. Madden J. Marais M. McElhinney
Coach: L. Oakes
Just read this again. Absolute gold.

Still think Bill Lawry stiff to miss out

Dec 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Is Chadstone still around remember them in the old SESFL comp years ago then folded then came back in the VAFA.

Chadstone in the VAFA were the former Syndal-Tally Ho. They went into the Ammos and I think alternated between Clubbies and recess.
They are still playing - they were mid-ladder in the Division 4 Thirds this year.

Last edited:

Chadstone - CODFL & SESFL: Folded around 1986. Maroon guernsey, blue yoke, gold monogram.
Played at Chadstone Park, Percy Trevyaud Park, East Caulfield Reserve.

Ashburton-Chadstone - ES(P)CFA & SFL: merger of Ashburton Uniting & Chadstone Salesian. Might have changed name to just Ashburton sometime in the 1990s, unsure. Green with red yoke (the Toffee Apples). Folded around 1995ish.

Syndal Tally Ho / Chadstone - Changed name to Chadstone in the 2000s. Red & White stripes. Jordan Reserve, Chadstone.

Bee Vee

Premium Gold
Jan 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember playing South Ringwood years ago. They wore Footscray jumpers and played at the footy ground that was out the front of the area the RIngwood baseball club played. Not far from the Ringwood golf course. Where the footy ground was is now taken up by Ringwood baseball club's newer main diamond.
Yep. Old memories for me. South Ringwood started out as Ringwood Uniting Football Club. That was their church association to play in the ESCFA. Until the church decided the club wasn't playing in the spirit required. ;)
They then changed their name to South Ringwood. Colours were originally green with a red yolk maybe (memory is not too good), then changed to Footscay colours. Played at Proclomation Park which is behind the Ringwood athletics track. Rarely a blade of grass on it in those days. We usually played in the lower grades and it was a reasonably "physical" club.
I started there around 1983? and played about 150 games. Played against Bellfield (Ford Park), Collingwood Districts, Hartwell, Highfield, Mt Waverley, Chadstone, South Yarra, Wonga Park, Blackburn North AND North Blackburn. Salvo Saints, Dandy West and plenty of others I've forgotten. Loved my time there until the club faded away and disbanded.
Great memories with plenty of wild days thrown in.

Dec 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep. Old memories for me. South Ringwood started out as Ringwood Uniting Football Club. That was their church association to play in the ESCFA. Until the church decided the club wasn't playing in the spirit required. ;)
They then changed their name to South Ringwood. Colours were originally green with a red yolk maybe (memory is not too good), then changed to Footscay colours. Played at Proclomation Park which is behind the Ringwood athletics track. Rarely a blade of grass on it in those days. We usually played in the lower grades and it was a reasonably "physical" club.
I started there around 1983? and played about 150 games. Played against Bellfield (Ford Park), Collingwood Districts, Hartwell, Highfield, Mt Waverley, Chadstone, South Yarra, Wonga Park, Blackburn North AND North Blackburn. Salvo Saints, Dandy West and plenty of others I've forgotten. Loved my time there until the club faded away and disbanded.
Great memories with plenty of wild days thrown in.

I remember seeing their name in the ESCFA Record in the 80s and wondered where their ground was. I also wondered why they didn't play EDFL but was unaware they were a church team until now. You mentioned a few teams there that were as handy with their fists as they were the footy LOL.

Bee Vee

Premium Gold
Jan 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember seeing their name in the ESCFA Record in the 80s and wondered where their ground was. I also wondered why they didn't play EDFL but was unaware they were a church team until now. You mentioned a few teams there that were as handy with their fists as they were the footy LOL.
Yep. There were quite a few surrounding EDFL teams but in reality, this was a lower standard of footy. Especially the lower divisions. We attracted more of the lesser skilled players, those in their twilight years or those looking for the social aspect. And yes it was a bit of a wild comp in the lower divisions as a result. I had a few interesting games at Bellfield, Dandy West and Collingwood Districts amongst others. Mind you, our home ground wasn't viewed as a pleasant place for opposing teams to attend either. ;)

Foolmetwice

Debutant
Dec 7, 2009
Parkdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Chadstone - CODFL & SESFL: Folded around 1986. Maroon guernsey, blue yoke, gold monogram.
Played at Chadstone Park, Percy Trevyaud Park, East Caulfield Reserve.

Ashburton-Chadstone - ES(P)CFA & SFL: merger of Ashburton Uniting & Chadstone Salesian. Might have changed name to just Ashburton sometime in the 1990s, unsure. Green with red yoke (the Toffee Apples). Folded around 1995ish.

Syndal Tally Ho / Chadstone - Changed name to Chadstone in the 2000s. Red & White stripes. Jordan Reserve, Chadstone.
Chadstone wore the old Fitzroy jumpers. Dark Maroon with Navy yoke but had a white Carlton monogram

May 23, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Slowly, I've tried reconstructing the ESCFA and each team's gradings year by year with what I can find, so far with 1970-1992. The Age digitised papers, posts on Bigfooty, cross-checking names with a download of Footypedia (not to confirm gradings since inaccuracies exist, see 1992), a couple of ESCFA records that the St. Mary's Salesian club put on their website, and old results from the Box Hill North FC page for Blackburn United and Saint Andrew's. Of course I've run into problems, and any help is appreciated.

1992 - All good. There was no D grade. 15 teams piled into C grade. Footypedia had a D grade listed with eight teams but I'm confident this isn't the case based on checking results in The Age (or maybe the bottom clubs split to make a D grade mid-season, like the Northern league did in 2009)
1991 - All good.
1990 - All good. I'm not sure if Dandenong South saw out the whole season in C grade.
1989 - All good, just need to know for sure if Glenhuntly St. Anthony's were in C grade this season.
1988 - All good.
1987 - All good.
1986 - All good.
1985 - All good. There was a team called Caulfield that competed up to mid-1988, were they the same Caulfield from the South East Suburban league?
1984 - The first one I'm unsure about. I know A and B grade are good. I have 10 teams each in C, D and E grades, but I've had to assume a few gradings based on who played in Grand Finals this year and the previous year. The assumptions for D grade are Box Hill Church of Christ, Hartwell, and North Blackburn, while for E grade it's only Blackburn North Baptist.
1983 - All good.
1982 - All good.
1981 - All good.
1980 - All good.
1979 - I have two teams with question marks. Blackburn North Baptist is one and I think they were in D grade. The other is Deepdene, but it's a matter of whether they debuted in E grade this season or in 1980.
1978 - All good.
1977 - All good. A lot of Methodist/Uniting name changes due to church stuff. I'm tempted to accept that the Whitehorse club was a name change from Box Hill Methodist, but I can't confirm it yet.
1976 - All good.
1975 - All good.
1974 - This is where is starts absolutely sucking. The Age's reporting of the ESCFA scores, if it wasn't already shaky enough where I was lucky to get everything I needed from the one or two times they showed the lower grades, neglects the lower divisions until the finals. I have A and B grades, and only a bunch of finalists from the C1, C2 and D grades. Six teams that were in C1, C2 or D grade but I can't assign yet are: Clayton Methodist, Gardenvale East Presbyterian, Noble Park Methodist, OLV/South Camberwell, St. George's Reservoir, and Wattle Park Presbyterian. Teams I also suspect of being here this year are: Blackburn North Baptist, Box Hill Church of Christ, Cheltenham Church of Christ/Cheltenham United, South Yarra Methodist and Surrey Hills Presbyterian.
1973 - Another bad year of reporting: Only A, B, and C2 grades are good, but I have most finalists from C1, D1 and D2 grades. Clubs I'm 99% sure were competing include Blackburn North Baptist, Box Hill Adelphians, and South Yarra Methodist.
1972 - This year is outright terrible! The Age apparently just chose not to report metro results (unless I'm missing something?) in the Monday papers, so all grades are a bust. C Grade is complete. The clubs (all finalists) I do have are as follows: For A grade, Bentleigh Methodist, Box Hill Pioneers, Donvale United. For B grade, Ashburton Methodist and Trinity Presbyterian. For D grade, Ormond Church of Christ and Preston Methodist. And for E grade, Noble Park Methodist and Wattle Park Presbyterian.
1971 - A and C Grades are good, but I only have finalists for B, D and E Grades. Clubs definitely competing in these grades are Mont Albert Methodist and Saint Peter's Church of England.
1970 - Same deal as 1971: A and C Grades are good, while B, D and E Grades are finalists only. Teams definitely competing include Ashburton Methodist, East Kew Combined and Mont Albert Methodist

1975-1992 are about 99% good to go on team lists but 1970-1974 is an absolute travesty. Any info, even if they're just name changes and specific years, would be great. I expect that 1960-1969 might be difficult to get lower grades but I imagine that they were at least reporting on the metro leagues this time.

Last edited:

NFNLWikiFan

Rookie
Sep 11, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Slowly, I've tried reconstructing the ESCFA and each team's gradings year by year with what I can find, so far with 1970-1992. The Age digitised papers, posts on Bigfooty, cross-checking names with a download of Footypedia (not to confirm gradings since inaccuracies exist, see 1992), and a couple of ESCFA records that the St. Mary's Salesian club put on their website. Of course I've run into problems, and any help is appreciated.

1992 - All good. There was no D grade. 15 teams piled into C grade. Footypedia had a D grade listed with eight teams but I'm confident this isn't the case based on checking results in The Age (or maybe the bottom clubs split to make a D grade mid-season, like the Northern league did in 2009)
1991 - All good.
1990 - All good. I'm not sure if Dandenong South saw out the whole season in C grade.
1989 - All good, just need to know for sure if Glenhuntly St. Anthony's were in C grade this season.
1988 - All good.
1987 - All good.
1986 - All good.
1985 - All good. There was a team called Caulfield that competed up to mid-1988, were they the same Caulfield from the South East Suburban league?
1984 - The first one I'm unsure about. I know A and B grade are good. I have 10 teams each in C, D and E grades, but I've had to assume a few gradings based on who played in Grand Finals this year and the previous year. The assumptions for D grade are Box Hill Church of Christ, Hartwell, and North Blackburn, while for E grade it's only Blackburn North Baptist.
1983 - All good.
1982 - A bit of a problem. I know A, B, and C grades are good. There are two teams I'm completely unsure about: Hawthorn YCW and Blackburn South. I have Hawthorn YCW possibly playing here but they appear to have been in the YCW league this season (then ESCFA in 1983). Blackburn South is also a mystery. Footypedia says that Blackburn South absorbed the Blackburn Baptists club in 1984, but I have Blackburn South in D grade in 1983, while Blackburn Baptist appeared to have their final season in 1981's D grade. I've apparently noted that they could've been in C grade. I also have some unconfirmed gradings. For D grade, Blackburn North Baptist, Chadstone Salesians, and Hartwell are unconfirmed, and Box Hill Church of Christ for E grade.
1981 - All good.
1980 - All good.
1979 - I have two teams with question marks. Blackburn North Baptist is one and I think they were in D grade. The other is Deepdene, but it's a matter of whether they debuted in E grade this season or in 1980.
1978 - All good.
1977 - All good. A lot of Methodist/Uniting name changes due to church stuff. I'm tempted to accept that the Whitehorse club was a name change from Box Hill Methodist, but I can't confirm it yet.
1976 - All good.
1975 - All good.
1974 - This is where is starts absolutely sucking. The Age's reporting of the ESCFA scores, if it wasn't already shaky enough where I was lucky to get everything I needed from the one or two times they showed the lower grades, neglects the lower divisions until the finals. I have A and B grades, and only a bunch of finalists from the C1, C2 and D grades. There are three C grade teams who I can't separate into their proper C1 or C2 grade: Brighton United, East Kew Combined, and Glenhuntly St. Anthony's. Nine teams that were in C1, C2 or D grade but I can't assign yet are: Box Hill Methodist, Clayton Methodist, Gardenvale East Presbyterian, Hartwell, Noble Park Methodist, OLV/South Camberwell, St. Andrew's Presbyterian, St. George's Reservoir, and Wattle Park Presbyterian. Teams I also suspect of being here this year are: Blackburn North Baptist, Box Hill Church of Christ, Cheltenham Church of Christ/Cheltenham United, Diamond Valley United, South Yarra Methodist and Surrey Hills Presbyterian.
1973 - Another bad year of reporting: Only A and B grades are good, but I have most finalists from C1, C2, D1 and D2 grades. Clubs I'm 99% sure were competing include Blackburn North Baptist, Box Hill Adelphians, Cheltenham Church of Christ/Cheltenham United, Malvern South Methodist, North Balwyn Methodist, South Yarra Methodist, and Surrey Hills Presbyterian.
1972 - This year is outright terrible! The Age apparently just chose not to report metro results (unless I'm missing something?) in the Monday papers, so all grades are a bust. The clubs (all finalists) I do have are as follows: For A grade, Bentleigh Methodist, Box Hill Pioneers, Donvale United. For B grade, Ashburton Methodist and Trinity Presbyterian. For C grade, Diamond Valley United, Elsternwick United, and Hampton Methodist. For D grade, Ormond Church of Christ and Preston Methodist. And for E grade, Noble Park Methodist and Wattle Park Presbyterian. There is also South Yarra Methodist, grade unclear.
1971 - A grade is good, but I only have finalists for B-E grades. Clubs definitely competing in these grades are Elsternwick United, Hampton Methodist, Mont Albert Methodist, Saint Andrew's Presbyterian, and Saint Peter's Church of England.
1970 - Again, just finals teams. Not listed but definitely in the league are Ashburton Methodist, Box Hill Pioneers, Elsternwick United, Hampton Methodist, Mont Albert Methodist, and Trinity Presbyterian.

1975-1992 are about 99% good to go on team lists but 1970-1974 is an absolute travesty. Any info, even if they're just name changes and specific years, would be great. I expect that 1960-1969 might be difficult to get lower grades but I imagine that they were at least reporting on the metro leagues this time.

1972 - Diamond Valley United is now known as Lower Plenty Football Club who play in the NFNL; maybe looking at their website could help fill in some gaps?

Slowly, I've tried reconstructing the ESCFA and each team's gradings year by year with what I can find, so far with 1970-1992. The Age digitised papers, posts on Bigfooty, cross-checking names with a download of Footypedia (not to confirm gradings since inaccuracies exist, see 1992), and a couple of ESCFA records that the St. Mary's Salesian club put on their website. Of course I've run into problems, and any help is appreciated.

1991 - All good.
1988 - All good.
1987 - All good.
1986 - All good.
1983 - All good.
1982 - A bit of a problem. I know A, B, and C grades are good. There are two teams I'm completely unsure about: Hawthorn YCW and Blackburn South. I have Hawthorn YCW possibly playing here but they appear to have been in the YCW league this season (then ESCFA in 1983). Blackburn South is also a mystery. Footypedia says that Blackburn South absorbed the Blackburn Baptists club in 1984, but I have Blackburn South in D grade in 1983, while Blackburn Baptist appeared to have their final season in 1981's D grade. I've apparently noted that they could've been in C grade. I also have some unconfirmed gradings. For D grade, Blackburn North Baptist, Chadstone Salesians, and Hartwell are unconfirmed, and Box Hill Church of Christ for E grade.
1981 - All good.
1980 - All good.
1978 - All good.
1976 - All good.
1975 - All good.
1974 - This is where is starts absolutely sucking. The Age's reporting of the ESCFA scores, if it wasn't already shaky enough where I was lucky to get everything I needed from the one or two times they showed the lower grades, neglects the lower divisions until the finals. I have A and B grades, and only a bunch of finalists from the C1, C2 and D grades. There are three C grade teams who I can't separate into their proper C1 or C2 grade: Brighton United, East Kew Combined, and Glenhuntly St. Anthony's. Nine teams that were in C1, C2 or D grade but I can't assign yet are: Box Hill Methodist, Clayton Methodist, Gardenvale East Presbyterian, Hartwell, Noble Park Methodist, OLV/South Camberwell, St. Andrew's Presbyterian, St. George's Reservoir, and Wattle Park Presbyterian. Teams I also suspect of being here this year are: Blackburn North Baptist, Box Hill Church of Christ, Cheltenham Church of Christ/Cheltenham United, Diamond Valley United, South Yarra Methodist and Surrey Hills Presbyterian.
1973 - Another bad year of reporting: Only A and B grades are good, but I have most finalists from C1, C2, D1 and D2 grades. Clubs I'm 99% sure were competing include Blackburn North Baptist, Box Hill Adelphians, Cheltenham Church of Christ/Cheltenham United, Malvern South Methodist, North Balwyn Methodist, South Yarra Methodist, and Surrey Hills Presbyterian.
1972 - This year is outright terrible! The Age apparently just chose not to report metro results (unless I'm missing something?) in the Monday papers, so all grades are a bust. The clubs (all finalists) I do have are as follows: For A grade, Bentleigh Methodist, Box Hill Pioneers, Donvale United. For B grade, Ashburton Methodist and Trinity Presbyterian. For C grade, Diamond Valley United, Elsternwick United, and Hampton Methodist. For D grade, Ormond Church of Christ and Preston Methodist. And for E grade, Noble Park Methodist and Wattle Park Presbyterian. There is also South Yarra Methodist, grade unclear.
1971 - A grade is good, but I only have finalists for B-E grades. Clubs definitely competing in these grades are Elsternwick United, Hampton Methodist, Mont Albert Methodist, Saint Andrew's Presbyterian, and Saint Peter's Church of England.
1970 - Again, just finals teams. Not listed but definitely in the league are Ashburton Methodist, Box Hill Pioneers, Elsternwick United, Hampton Methodist, Mont Albert Methodist, and Trinity Presbyterian.

I spent the first 10 years not documenting my sources which has come back to bite me severely. Completely unsure where the 1992 grade lists came from. These days I doubt I was right about anything. The only extra info I still had not entered when I took the site offline was a few more premiers & runners-up, all based off a source from St Marys. Timelord and Todman are the next best bets for finding some newspaper sources that are being elusive.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ESCFA 1992 final ladders, I think it came from the Progress Press.
Da phone 1594.jpg

May 23, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would anyone know where Auburn played their home games in the 1920s?
It looks like it's Victoria Road Reserve.
1924: The Hawthorn City Council allocated grounds to Hawthorn-based sports teams.

1925: A carnival over two days was held at Victoria Park, Auburn, to fund ground maintenance for the club. The second issue reports that the carnival for the second day was held at Auburn's ground.

1926: Grounds allocated again. Auburn remained at Victoria Road.

1927: Auburn remained at Victoria Road and got some new seats.

Sep 10, 2013
Boronia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilsyth
It looks like it's Victoria Road Reserve.
1924: The Hawthorn City Council allocated grounds to Hawthorn-based sports teams.

1925: A carnival over two days was held at Victoria Park, Auburn, to fund ground maintenance for the club. The second issue reports that the carnival for the second day was held at Auburn's ground.

1926: Grounds allocated again. Auburn remained at Victoria Road.

1927: Auburn remained at Victoria Road and got some new seats.

Yes you are correct. I'm just ading scores to my website and just came across an article that they played at Victoria Road Reserve. Auburn had to forfeit a game in 1920 as the ground was being used by lacrosse players lol

Connor7395 & Todman I've spent some time in the last few weeks with this ESCFA 1992 thing on my mind, wondering how I ended up with 4 divisions despite it clearly showing as only 3. I can't work out where I got this idea from, but I'm starting to wonder if it came to me via Chelt as I had been playing there the year prior and then the SESFL & ESCFA merged after 1992. If this is the case, then it was probably in some match program from the SFL at finals time in 1993 ... some crap like that. This might explain how dodgy information was published, but it still doesn't say why. Something must have caused someone to decide there were 4 divisions at some point.

The only thing I can think of, and it's purely unsupported hypothesis, is that the list of teams which came to me was compiled prior to ESCFA 1992 season start - an "intended" format, perhaps. So, instead of the thoughts about the 3rd div splitting halfway through a season (which Todman has clarified didn't happen, surely), perhaps the opposite happened. I don't know when Glen Waverley announced they would not be taking part, but if it was close enough to season start, maybe it was a catalyst to crunch two divs together. 15 clubs is still a *-tonne of clubs to cram into one division though. It's very curious!

All of this is speculation and all of it doesn't really matter, because Todman's photo of late season ladders must surely be the most robust argument for how to report this season.

Ehh, I talk too much.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ESCFA A GRADEWBLD
Donvale United
16​
2​
St Pauls Bentleigh
13​
4​
1​
Burwood United
11​
7​
St Kevins Ormond
10​
7​
1​
Bentleigh
9​
8​
1​
Wattle Park / Bennettswood
8​
10​
St Leo's Wattle Park
6​
11​
1​
Springvale Districts
6​
12​
Oakleigh Scared Heart
6​
12​
Emmanuel
3​
15​

ESCFA B GRADEWBLD
Collingwood Districts
17​
1​
Hampton United
15​
2​
1​
Canterbury / North Balwyn
13​
5​
Fairfield
12​
6​
Balwyn Combines
9​
9​
Box Hill Pioneers
8​
10​
East Camberwell
6​
12​
Syndal / Tally Ho
4​
14​
South Yarra
3​
14​
1​
West Ivanhoe
2​
16​

ESCFA C GRADEWBL
South Yarra
15​
3​
Lower Plenty
14​
4​
Dandenong South
14​
4​
Heatherton
9​
9​
Cheltenham Assumption
8​
10​
Ashburton/Chadstone
6​
12​
Glen Waverley
4​
14​
Gardenvale
2​
16​

ESCFA D GRADEWBLD
East Bentleigh
16​
2​
Dandenong West
15​
3​
Carnegie
13​
5​
Box Hill North
13​
5​
Moorabbin West
10​
8​
Lyndale
9​
9​
Mt Waverley Catholics
7​
11​
Bellfield
3​
15​
Box Hill Adelphian
2​
16​
North Blackburn
2​
16​

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
ESCFA A GRADEWBLD
Donvale United
16​
2​
St Pauls Bentleigh
13​
4​
1​
Burwood United
11​
7​
St Kevins Ormond
10​
7​
1​
Bentleigh
9​
8​
1​
Wattle Park / Bennettswood
8​
10​
St Leo's Wattle Park
6​
11​
1​
Springvale Districts
6​
12​
Oakleigh Scared Heart
6​
12​
Emmanuel
3​
15​

ESCFA B GRADEWBLD
Collingwood Districts
17​
1​
Hampton United
15​
2​
1​
Canterbury / North Balwyn
13​
5​
Fairfield
12​
6​
Balwyn Combines
9​
9​
Box Hill Pioneers
8​
10​
East Camberwell
6​
12​
Syndal / Tally Ho
4​
14​
South Yarra
3​
14​
1​
West Ivanhoe
2​
16​

ESCFA C GRADEWBL
South Yarra
15​
3​
Lower Plenty
14​
4​
Dandenong South
14​
4​
Heatherton
9​
9​
Cheltenham Assumption
8​
10​
Ashburton/Chadstone
6​
12​
Glen Waverley
4​
14​
Gardenvale
2​
16​

ESCFA D GRADEWBLD
East Bentleigh
16​
2​
Dandenong West
15​
3​
Carnegie
13​
5​
Box Hill North
13​
5​
Moorabbin West
10​
8​
Lyndale
9​
9​
Mt Waverley Catholics
7​
11​
Bellfield
3​
15​
Box Hill Adelphian
2​
16​
North Blackburn
2​
16​
I see Balwyn combines listed there. Pretty sure that's not Balwyn FC. What league would Balwyn have been in at that time?

Found that I had North Balwyn Presbyterian down as a predecessor to Canterbury-North Balwyn, but now it seems clear that it should have been North Balwyn Methodist. Now I am not certain there was a North Balwyn Presbyterian at all, considering the only reference which I'd ever found was that they merged with Canterbury Pres.

On the other side of the Manningham FC alchemy chart, Bulleen's early days are curious -I wonder if Bulleen "PM" (Presbyterian Methodist) alludes to another merger in there somewhere.

Code:
Bulleen Presb. --> Bulleen P.M. --> Bulleen United ---+
               ~69              '75                   |
Canterbury Presb. ----+                         '96 > +--- Bulleen Cobras --> Manningham Cobras
                      |                               |                   '09
                ~76 > +--- Canterbury-North Balwyn ---+
                      |
North Balwyn Meth. ---+

Back