Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Found that I had North Balwyn Presbyterian down as a predecessor to Canterbury-North Balwyn, but now it seems clear that it should have been North Balwyn Methodist. Now I am not certain there was a North Balwyn Presbyterian at all, considering the only reference which I'd ever found was that they merged with Canterbury Pres.

On the other side of the Manningham FC alchemy chart, Bulleen's early days are curious -I wonder if Bulleen "PM" (Presbyterian Methodist) alludes to another merger in there somewhere.

Code:
Bulleen Presb. --> Bulleen P.M. --> Bulleen United ---+
               ~69              '75                   |
Canterbury Presb. ----+                         '96 > +--- Bulleen Cobras --> Manningham Cobras
                      |                               |                   '09
                ~76 > +--- Canterbury-North Balwyn ---+
                      |
North Balwyn Meth. ---+
I'm an old CNB guy (played there from 91 all the way through to Manningham Cobras days). I think you're right, but let me know if you need it confirmed...

Last edited:
Found that I had North Balwyn Presbyterian down as a predecessor to Canterbury-North Balwyn, but now it seems clear that it should have been North Balwyn Methodist. Now I am not certain there was a North Balwyn Presbyterian at all, considering the only reference which I'd ever found was that they merged with Canterbury Pres.

On the other side of the Manningham FC alchemy chart, Bulleen's early days are curious -I wonder if Bulleen "PM" (Presbyterian Methodist) alludes to another merger in there somewhere.

Code:
Bulleen Presb. --> Bulleen P.M. --> Bulleen United ---+
               ~69              '75                   |
Canterbury Presb. ----+                         '96 > +--- Bulleen Cobras --> Manningham Cobras
                      |                               |                   '09
                ~76 > +--- Canterbury-North Balwyn ---+
                      |
North Balwyn Meth. ---+
I had both North Balwyn Presbyterian and North Balwyn Methodist in B Grade in 1974, but I checked The Age again and it's obvious there was just one. It was also the only time I had a North Balwyn Methodist there (probably from using the Footypedia download to check and recording both North Balwyn names). I also had a note down for North Balwyn Presbyterian in 1976 that they were called North Balwyn Methodist in The Age, so I think that fixed the issue (and also apparently in the same year, Canterbury Presbyterian were referred to as Canterbury-St. Silas once). I'm also sure 1977 is the first year of Canterbury-North Balwyn.

ESCFA A GRADEWBLD
Donvale United
16​
2​
St Pauls Bentleigh
13​
4​
1​
Burwood United
11​
7​
St Kevins Ormond
10​
7​
1​
Bentleigh
9​
8​
1​
Wattle Park / Bennettswood
8​
10​
St Leo's Wattle Park
6​
11​
1​
Springvale Districts
6​
12​
Oakleigh Scared Heart
6​
12​
Emmanuel
3​
15​

ESCFA B GRADEWBLD
Collingwood Districts
17​
1​
Hampton United
15​
2​
1​
Canterbury / North Balwyn
13​
5​
Fairfield
12​
6​
Balwyn Combines
9​
9​
Box Hill Pioneers
8​
10​
East Camberwell
6​
12​
Syndal / Tally Ho
4​
14​
South Yarra
3​
14​
1​
West Ivanhoe
2​
16​

ESCFA C GRADEWBL
South Yarra
15​
3​
Lower Plenty
14​
4​
Dandenong South
14​
4​
Heatherton
9​
9​
Cheltenham Assumption
8​
10​
Ashburton/Chadstone
6​
12​
Glen Waverley
4​
14​
Gardenvale
2​
16​

ESCFA D GRADEWBLD
East Bentleigh
16​
2​
Dandenong West
15​
3​
Carnegie
13​
5​
Box Hill North
13​
5​
Moorabbin West
10​
8​
Lyndale
9​
9​
Mt Waverley Catholics
7​
11​
Bellfield
3​
15​
Box Hill Adelphian
2​
16​
North Blackburn
2​
16​
That's an interesting state affairs with South Yarra ... close to last in B Grade while also close to premiers in C Grade! Are they the same club (1sts & 2nds?)?

I'm an old CNB guy (played there from 91 all the way through to Manningham Cobras days). I think you're right, but let me know if you need it confirmed...
Love to know for sure which North Balwyn team was in the mix! Also whether Bulleen PM was a reference to another merger in the past, or simply the name of the team from the get-go!

That's an interesting state affairs with South Yarra ... close to last in B Grade while also close to premiers in C Grade! Are they the same club (1sts & 2nds?)?
Grand Final
Lower Plenty
10​
17​
77​
South Yarra
11​
7​
73​

I had both North Balwyn Presbyterian and North Balwyn Methodist in B Grade in 1974, but I checked The Age again and it's obvious there was just one. It was also the only time I had a North Balwyn Methodist there (probably from using the Footypedia download to check and recording both North Balwyn names). I also had a note down for North Balwyn Presbyterian in 1976 that they were called North Balwyn Methodist in The Age, so I think that fixed the issue (and also apparently in the same year, Canterbury Presbyterian were referred to as Canterbury-St. Silas once). I'm also sure 1977 is the first year of Canterbury-North Balwyn.

Chadstone Progress 1976

Attachments

• Metro scores 1976 oakleigh 024.JPG
    Metro scores 1976 oakleigh 024.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 74
Grand Final
Lower Plenty
10​
17​
77​
South Yarra
11​
7​
73​
Yeah I get that they were up there in the C Grade finals (I was aware they were runners-up but sans a scoreline).
What I'm asking is : is that South Yarra's 2nds team? Because in your table, they are also listed down the bottom of B Grade.

I also notice there's no Richmond Amateurs team in 1991 according to your data. For some reason, I had them listed as 3rd in C Grade.

One of the problems with the ESCFA is that the closeness of Presbyterians and Methodists which is why they became the uniting church. For many years the Chadstone Progress kept weekly articles from 1967 to 1976.

The Eastern Times which was a local Camberwell paper may have had more.

I got curious about it the other day so, not knowing much about religious history, I googled the unity of these churches. Apparently this was only an Australian thing (although Canada might have done something similar), not every single Presbyterian or Methodist church took up the change (vast majority did) and a third church, the Congregationalists, was also part of this merge, however there were far fewer of them.

The Uniting Church as a result is one of the biggest churches in Australia, but comparatively unheard of overseas.

A little like footy ;-)

Mobbs,

Do you have any timelines for the Morning league and the Industrial league from the 1930s?
Went searching for some of these old Industrial League company names to find out about the actual entities they were representing, and all I can get is the footy score and you asking about them ahaha.

Anyway, I've collected a little bit more info overnight just now and can offer this little bit of increased output. Discovered everything I'd mentioned before WAS from the Morning league, or the Saturday Morning Industrial league, to be more accurate. It's the Wednesday league that I seem to have no info on.

Industrial Football League / Wednesday Industrial Football League (Vic)
Industrial Football League / Wednesday Industrial Football League (Vic)

Timeline
:
1920 - The Wednesday Industrial league existed.[source]
1929 - A representative match was played between the Wednesday Industrial FL and the Saturday Morning Industrial FL.[source]

---

Industrial Football League / Saturday Morning Industrial Football League (Vic)

Quick Premiers List :

1927 - Laygols.
1928 - Laygols.
1929 - Dunlop.
1930 - ?.
1931 - ?.
1932 - ?.

Timeline :
1927 :
The Industrial FL was formed.
Participating clubs included Laygols (premiers[source]).

1928 (SMIFL) :
Participating clubs included :[source]
- Barnet Glass,
- Burtru,
- Dunlop,
- Footwill,
- Gadsden,
- Havelock,
- Laygols (premiers[source]) and
- Raymonds.

1929 (SMIFL) :
A representative match was played between the Wednesday Industrial FL and the Saturday Morning Industrial FL.[source]
Participating clubs were (complete in ladder order after H&As) :[source]
1. Dunlop,
2. Havelock,
3. Laygols,
4. Carlton Brewery,
----------
5. Barnet Glass,
6. Victoria Brewery and
7. Burtru.
Finals Series : [source] [source] [source] [source]
- Semi-Final - Laygols 9.4.58 defeated Dunlop 2.9.21 @ Fitzroy.
- Semi-Final - Havelock 14.13.97 defeated Carlton Brewery 10.2.62 @ Victoria Park.
- Final - Laygols 10.7.67 defeated Havelock 6.11.47.
- Grand Final - Dunlop 6.10.46 defeated Laygols 5.13.43 @ Brunswick.

1930 (IFL) :
Participating clubs included :[source]
- Abbotsford Brewery,
- Burtru,
- Carlton Brewery,
- Dunlop,
- Havelock,
- Kraft Cheese,
- Laygols,
- Miro,
- Raymonds and
- Victoria Brewery.

1931 - ?.

1932 (IFL) :
Participating clubs were (complete) :
- Abbotsford Brewery,
- Carlton Brewery,
- Dunlop,
- Goodschilds,
- Harolds Shoes,
- Havelock,
- Laygols,
- Miro,
- Raymonds and
- Victoria Brewery.

---

The sources are all Trove btw. I think all are from the Age, and off Pages 6 or 7 of the Monday editions.

Going to add that it looks like North Balwyn Church of Christ is the same team thanks to some Excel files I found here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the whispers I have heard:

Thornton-Eildon - no
Yea - unlikely (no coach yet)
Broadford - yes (either as Broadford or Broadford-Yea)

Bump

Not sure if Thornton tried in men’s but they have a women’s team. Yea pulled out last minute and Broadford are up and running. Not looking good for footy around that way with only Alexandra and Bonnie Doon getting numbers

Old Mentonians in the ammos
Glenorden in WRFL and Jacana in EDFL all not fielding sides this year

Hi All,

During the lockdowns, I decided to have a bit of fun and go down the rabbit hole of finding out the details of those footy clubs that are no longer with us in the Northern Football Netball League. For the most part, I was able to track down all the names, colours, grounds and seasons played and added them to the Wikipedia page for history's sake using Trove, Facebook Groups and Pages, Forums and old footy records and annual reports online. Over the last while I have done the same for the Eastern Football Netball League and the Riddell District Football Netball League which are largely complete and have been slowly working through the long list of former Essendon District Football League teams (which seems to have had a torrid time of ins and outs of clubs in its early years!). Before knowledge of the past is lost for these leagues, I thought it would be great if you could look through the 'Former Clubs' sections and pass on any information that you see is missing from your own knowledge.

NFNL: Northern Football Netball League - Wikipedia
EFNL: Eastern Football Netball League - Wikipedia
RDFNL: Riddell District Football Netball League - Wikipedia
EDFL: Essendon District Football League - Wikipedia

Feel free to edit the Wikipedia Pages yourself too if you wish. It would be great to see the history of our leagues prevail into the future for others to enjoy.

Last edited:
Hi All,

During the lockdowns, I decided to have a bit of fun and go down the rabbit hole of finding out the details of those footy clubs that are no longer with us in the Northern Football Netball League. For the most part, I was able to track down all the names, colours, grounds and seasons played and added them to the Wikipedia page for history's sake using Trove, Facebook Groups and Pages, Forums and old footy records and annual reports online. Over the last while I have done the same for the Eastern Football Netball League and the Riddell District Football Netball League which are largely complete and have been slowly working through the long list of former Essendon District Football League teams (which seems to have had a torrid time of ins and outs of clubs in its early years!). Before knowledge of the past is lost for these leagues, I thought it would be great if you could look through the 'Former Clubs' sections and pass on any information that you see if missing from your own knowledge.

NFNL: Northern Football Netball League - Wikipedia
EFNL: Eastern Football Netball League - Wikipedia
RDFNL: Riddell District Football Netball League - Wikipedia
EDFL: Essendon District Football League - Wikipedia

Feel free to edit the Wikipedia Pages yourself too if you wish. It would be great to see the history of our leagues prevail into the future for others to enjoy.
Very nice work NFNLWikiFan !

I had a squiz at Riddell earlier today before I saw this post - looking pretty good.
Thanks mate - Just stuck on Malmsbury and Darraweit Guim.

I've seen a black and white photo of Malmsbury FC from the 1930s which shows them wearing an MFC monogram, and the Juniors logo from 2013 at the front gate is the red and white Swan, so getting close to the answer there I think if I can confirm the seniors were the same.

However, I reckon it's going to be pretty tough to find out the Darraweit Guim colours and nickname!

Thanks mate - Just stuck on Malmsbury and Darraweit Guim.

I've seen a black and white photo of Malmsbury FC from the 1930s which shows them wearing an MFC monogram, and the Juniors logo from 2013 at the front gate is the red and white Swan, so getting close to the answer there I think if I can confirm the seniors were the same.

However, I reckon it's going to be pretty tough to find out the Darraweit Guim colours and nickname!
I also have no data on guernsey/nickname for Darraweit Guim, nor for Malmsbury :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back