News Deledio agrees to become a Giant

Remove this Banner Ad

People can say he might be the best player on our list, but until he plays a game for us and we see how he fits within the team, he is not our best player. None of the new additions are until they prove their position within the squad we have and working with and around that squad.

I for one am eagerly looking forward to his first kick as a Giant. Fingers crossed Round 1.

Surely there's nothing report worthy here... we've seen plenty of genuine trolling.

Now, if I went to the Carlton board and said that Rhys Palmer is now your best player...
Read his post about our 4 supporters. Look at the staged increase of agression and look at the troll liking.

... you'd be trolling Carlton and their mods would rightfully hammer your arse! ;)
I've posted there about the Palmer trade with no issues. I wasn't disrespectful its true. They do have a banter thread that would allow it I think. But probably not the rising level of abuse that followed the first post.

I've posted there about the Palmer trade with no issues. I wasn't disrespectful its true. They do have a banter thread that would allow it I think. But probably not the rising level of abuse that followed the first post.
I am being very much tongue-in-cheek ... taking the opening that Kulak set up. (I'm also presuming that you didn't actually proclaim Rhys to be their best player, you seem far too sensible for that!) :)

I am being very much tongue-in-cheek ... taking the opening that Kulak set up. (I'm also presuming that you didn't actually proclaim Rhys to be their best player, you seem far too sensible for that!) :)

Nah, don't forget we sent them Kristian Jaksch - he'd have to be close to their best wouldn't he?

Nah
Maybe was too serious in my post. I might try it after a few beers one night and let you know.

I tend to find that people who have barely seen a GWS player that hasn't come from Victoria will rate the person from their club as the "best on the list". Happened with Griff as well.

I don't disagree that Lids, when fit, is a great player. But when we've got three other No. 1 draft picks (plus 2 more than handy pick 2s, not counting Taranto), four AAs and a Norm Smith medalist, it's not a lay down misere that he's best on the list. I also note that my run down doesn't include two former B&F winners in Mumford and Ward.

So opinion, not fact - except in the Trumpian post-truth sense.

What number in the draft do you think deledio was drafted in

Ward is indeed a star. Shame he doesn't quite have the polish or class of lids. Good thing you've got then both

What number in the draft do you think deledio was drafted in

Yes, having been born yesterday on a turnip truck I wouldn't possibly have eluded to his Pick 1 status in my post.

Honestly draft order means diddly squat at GWS in ranking who our best player is.

You have, however, risen slightly in my estimation by acknowledging the bleeding obviousness about Ward's value.

Now go away - there's a goat on a bridge who is waiting for you. Trip trap, trip trap...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW I agree with the sentiment of many of these richmond posters- I think lids is better than Kelly Ward Stevie etc that we have mentioned

Rolls Royce player

FWIW I agree with the sentiment of many of these richmond posters- I think lids is better than Kelly Ward Stevie etc that we have mentioned

Rolls Royce player
The difference is you're not calling all of us names for disagreeing with you. ;)

I can absolutely understand ranking Lids as our best player, same as I can Cameron, Mumford, Shiel or Coniglio (and maybe even Kelly or Shaw). But it's ultimately still our own opinions because there's no empirical way to rank those players.

I reckon this deserves its own thread.

Hope we arrange a good trade, and looking forward to what he can do for the Giants next year!
I think if stays injury free he will destroy team's playing for us with x factor class he has.

Giants, FWIW you got a great player. If he gives you 20 plus games for the next 2-3 years, you will see his quality. Not sure he is your best player tbh but he's definitely going to be up there if he stays on the park.

Given the circumstances, was I think a true win-win scenario and hope you does alright for you. Except against us obv...

Thanks for that measured comment, BedrockLP, I think that Giants fans can agree with those sentiments. No-one disputes that Lids is a great player, and the Richmond statistic regarding games won with him versus without him is truly astonishing. The question for me personally is around whether his body will hold up (and hence whether the trade was worth what we gave up) but if he gets a reasonable run with it I have no doubt he will be an asset to GWS.

We obviously hope he goes alright against the Tigers - need to square up that win-loss record! ;)

GS, given your draft picks run pretty deep I think its definitely worth it for you guys. Plus next year is meant to be deep with KPP. Given your list and ours, reckon that might also have come into consideration for both parties.

If nothing else Carlton will want another 3 guys not in your best 25 and give you another 1st rounder...

GS, given your draft picks run pretty deep I think its definitely worth it for you guys. Plus next year is meant to be deep with KPP. Given your list and ours, reckon that might also have come into consideration for both parties.

If nothing else Carlton will want another 3 guys not in your best 25 and give you another 1st rounder...

true to a point, though now we are at the same list size and cap there wont be firesales we have had the last 2 years.

Leon has always supported mature players in the side, presumably for balance. Given our core group are no longer youngsters I expected it to end. All the evidence is he knows what he's doing though. We wouldn't have paid for him if we didn't expect good things. I hope he is a grest player for us of course, and stays fit. Going to wait and see though.

Good discussion. The Deledio trade can be examined from the perspective of one of the central aspects of GWS' (realistically, many clubs') list management strategy going forward - experience vs drafting. I'm not going to lay down any absolutes, because a strategy will only prove to be correct or incorrect over time, and there's the context of individual circumstances and fans' individual perspectives.

Suffice to say that GWS lacked the experience players it really needed for a balanced team in those first couple of years, and the list management team has done a good job since then to correct it - Griffen, Mumford, Heater & Johnson have all been great pickups (plus a few failures such as Thornton & Hunt). There are questions still out there on some trades as to whether they worked for GWS, such as the Boyd for Griffen & pick 6 - but again it comes down to some context (i.e. Boyd wanting to leave & the subsequent pick). I think the questions in regards Delidio's trade being the best outcome for GWS start with whether GWS' experience level was enough before he came in, versus him adding some cream to a good young list that could manage without one more young draftee (as per BedrockLP's point). Interestingly, there's an article on AFL.com that now has GWS with the second oldest list (up from 17th this year!) - and third in average games (again up from 17th). Some of that is achieved by bringing in experienced players (Johnson & Delidio for example have contributed significantly to both stats) and some by the existing young players being retained and moving forward one year and 20-odd games in age & experience. That profile puts GWS squarely in the zone for a premiership assault.

The nub of the strategy is, IMO, one of balance - doing enough to improve the current list & therefore potential to win a premiership in the short term (e.g. natural improvement of the existing list adding or adding experienced players to solve the missing piece of the puzzle) whilst keeping a balanced list going forward (i.e. using the draft wisely to keep adding the year after's core 22 players). Providing Lids can play that 15-18 games each year, is around during finals, develops our younger players, and improves the team like Stevie J did in 2016, then given that GWS still brought in some good young draftees in the 2016 ND it will have been successful. The ultimate success is of course winning the flag, but the reality is there's a degree of luck (injuries, bounce of the ball, umpiring) to attaining the ultimate prize (although that is exactly why Lids was brought in - no doubt in my mind).

So, we actually don't need Lids to be our best player, we've got plenty of options for that. As long as he's up there amongst the best players, and can bring out the best in the players around him, that's enough. It looks a reasonable call at the moment - but the proof will be in how the next couple of seasons go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back