Remove this Banner Ad

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
Hey Guys,

Being from WA i dont see many richmond matches but it was pretty obvious that brett deledio was playing off the half back flank against fremantle, and gary lion stated on footy classified that he has played that role for a few matches now.

can anyone confirm this as he is in one of my fantasy footy squads, and if he has been playing the HBF role i can upgrade his position from Fwd/mid to fwd/mid/def.:thumbsu:

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

Yep been playing off half back since very early in the season. Has ball in his hands alot incl kick-ins. Still getting heaps of the ball, but needing to also be accountable and more defensive. Has been out-bodied a few times in one on one marking contests against less experienced opponents of a similar size which has been disappointing, otherwise is playing an important role for the team.

like lids of the hbf but i would like to see him back in the guts once connors is back, i realy wanta see lids cotch martin foley in the guts for a whole game

i disagree, I would like to see him spend all year there, that way we see Lids play full throttle as opposed to the version where we see unexplained lapses creep into his game. We have good mid options with Foley back in and Collins looking a natural there.

In any case if it was good enough for the likes of Luke Hodge and Andrew McLeod then in my books it's good enough for Lids. In my view the first good move dimma has made in 2010

Yep been playing off half back since very early in the season. Has ball in his hands alot incl kick-ins. Still getting heaps of the ball, but needing to also be accountable and more defensive. Has been out-bodied a few times in one on one marking contests against less experienced opponents of a similar size which has been disappointing, otherwise is playing an important role for the team.

Pretty sure Melbourne was his first game lining up on the HBF. So played two games there so far.

I agree I think leave him back there playing the Luke Hodge role. Throw him in the midfield as well but I like it being flexible. Would love to see him getting 30-40 touches back there it will make us a whole lot more competitive.

It also gives great exposure for Andy Collins in the midfield to tear it up and playing as a starting mid.

like lids of the hbf but i would like to see him back in the guts once connors is back, i realy wanta see lids cotch martin foley in the guts for a whole game

Agree. He is very good in defence but we can't afford not to have him in the middle when we are ready to win games. This will be good to get him into a more defensive frame but very soon we will be playing 4 quarters of good footy and Connors will slot straight into defence. One thing I don't like seeing is Tambo up forward when he is clearly a much better defender. Against Freo and Melbourne we wasted Tambo up forward when he could have played in defence and allowed Lids to go into the middle. I guess Dimma is trying to make Tambo more of an all rounder while we are not quite ready to control a game of footy

Absolute joke having our alleged best player across the half back line. Zero wins, 49%… yep, real successful move as we were only beaten by 108pts.
We cannot kick enough goals to be even semi competitive. As far as im concerned he needs to be CHF. 6 games in and Jack is carrying the entire load, its just not good enough, HE needs help, not our backline.

good move for lids, playing the game with more accountability and importantly purpose...the ball is spending an awful lot of time down there...sensible to put such a creative and gifted player where the action is
Agree. Is playing well there. No need to move him in the short term at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stat sheet looked good, but had zero effect on the game.
lol
What a silly comment.
When you get beaten by 108 points, nobody has an effect on the game.
Deledio has played very well the last couple of weeks. I'm sick of the Deledio bashing.
There's are far worse culprits in our team.

Its not Deledio bashing at all. He done what was asked of him and done it well. All im saying is, for all his effort he had no effect at all on the outcome of the game. Maybe if he wasnt there we would have lost by 120pts and not 108.
Fair enough.
I think he's been a lot better than what you suggest. I don't think, in a 108 point loss, you can judge overall effectiveness. I think Deledio did his job pretty well. We fell down whan we got inside 50...again.

Was clearly our best yeaterday....by streets.

Still something about having our best current player and only #1 pick playing as a HBF just doesn't sit right with me. Might turn out for the best, maybe he'll go back in with Connors return (but then again I think Connors is a midfielder too) but still ...can never have too much quality in the midfield...and when it comes to quality players who were bred as midfielders....then smoke 'em if you got 'em I say...
I'd actually rather see someone like Jackson at HBF.....he's disposal and decision making is poor but if we're gonna play him, then like Tambling, he might be better given more time and space.

Not too mention this fabled 60 metre penetrating kick of his that would be quite useful bringing the ball out....

Fair enough.
I think he's been a lot better than what you suggest. I don't think, in a 108 point loss, you can judge overall effectiveness. I think Deledio did his job pretty well. We fell down when we got inside 50...again.
What if we take his effectiveness from the HFB line to the HF line. Instead of rebounds into, he is all of a sudden on the receiving end and in a position to set up effective scoring shots. Excluding the Cats and Dogs games, our inside 50s have been terrific. Down side is, no one except for Jack is having a regular crack. I know defence is super important, but it’s usually the team with the most goals who win the game.

What if we take his effectiveness from the HFB line to the HF line. Instead of rebounds into, he is all of a sudden on the receiving end and in a position to set up effective scoring shots. Excluding the Cats and Dogs games, our inside 50s have been terrific. Down side is, no one except for Jack is having a regular crack. I know defence is super important, but it’s usually the team with the most goals who win the game.

Inside 50's, include mungrel punts from clearances or kicks not to the advantage of team mates , I'd be interested to see the stats on who was providing that delivery inside 50 , yes our forwards are developing but some of our delivery is extremely slow and poorly directed !!
Oh and I'd prefer Lids playing on a wing and kicking the ball deeper into our forward line , but for his development I think the move to a back flank is good, might encourage him to deliver the footy and then run to receive again !
Currently his kicks aren't getting deep into our forward line and we don't have a Lance flanklin , Johnathon Brown or Nick Reiwoldt at chf !

i thought he had a huge impact in the first half when the game was 'still live'. he was the only one bringing the ball out with any precision and class, instead of just some rubbish kick under pressure. used his speed to get away and then pinpoint a bloke. most of our decent attacks went out of the backline through him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back