Deliberate out of bounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

That is specifically why they have changed the rule.

Players under pressure would use the boundary as an out, happy to get ANOTHER stoppage.

Nobody wants stoppages anymore, so stop giving players an easy out through the boundary.

Players are incredibly skilled, you see it now with the contests along the boundary and players opting to keep the ball alive.....the players who take the easy safe option of choosing the boundary will be punished.

Being under pressure is not an excuse for putting the ball out of bounds deliberately.

I know why they did it. I am saying that players under pressure that bang the ball on to their boot aren't always looking for the boundary line. I think the pressure can be looked at and whether they had time to do anything else. What you seem to be suggesting is you'd rather penalise an innocent man than let a guilty one go free.

It's a good rule that may have gone a tad too far in its application.

I know why they did it. I am saying that players under pressure that bang the ball on to their boot aren't always looking for the boundary line. I think the pressure can be looked at and whether they had time to do anything else. What you seem to be suggesting is you'd rather penalise an innocent man than let a guilty one go free.
Nah, players bang the ball onto their boot and it just happens to head straight toward the boundary...it is deliberate.

They have been and are coached to kick to the boundary when under pressure, to make sure they don't create a turn over in the corridor.

Whether a player is in the clear or under pressure, whether they make 40m up the line or just 5m...if a player deliberately puts the ball out of bounds they should now be penalised, doesn't mean the umpires won't miss some though.

Nah, players bang the ball onto their boot and it just happens to head straight toward the boundary...it is deliberate.

Problem is they are not all heading towards the boundary. Some take a break, some bounce along the boundary before dribbling out. We are judging intent every time. Have you ever seen one where you thought a player was just clearing a danger or are they all without fail deliberately executed? Hell most of our players aren't that good with their field kicking when not under pressure.

We are still seeing players do this though so are they forgetting the rule or is it accidental on occasion?

I haven't read every post, but simple solution is for the AFL to adopt the SANFL rule - whoever kicked or handpassed the ball out of bounds, no matter what trajectory it takes to get there, has a free kick awarded against them.

I haven't read every post, but simple solution is for the AFL to adopt the SANFL rule - whoever kicked or handpassed the ball out of bounds, no matter what trajectory it takes to get there, has a free kick awarded against them.
Can the oppositions shepherd the ball out of bounds to receive the free? Are players allowed to deliberately run or tap the ball over the line?

Can the oppositions shepherd the ball out of bounds to receive the free? Are players allowed to deliberately run or tap the ball over the line?
Good question. I cannot see whether this is covered by the SANFL rule, but common sense would suggest if an opposition player shepherds the ball out when he could reasonably have taken possession, then it is no free and a ball-in occurs.

It is known as the "last touch" rule, so if a player taps the ball out he was the last person to touch it and has a free awarded against him.

The one paid against Phil Davis today when he hacked the ball 50 metres under pressure and the Swans player shepherded the ball over the boundary was a joke. Starting to hate the rule.

I do think that if a player sheperds the ball OOBs then it should never be called deliberate just because the player had every opportunity to stop it

Having watched AFL360, the rule is being interpreted from a point of view of if you put doubt in the umpires mind, it is paid as deliberate.

Now this does not mean the player's intention was deliberate but there was enough doubt that the umpire will pay it that way.

A GWS one on the weekend, there were 2 GWS players in front of him and one Swan. He looked towards his own players and shanked it long and wide. It wobbled sideways. He wasnt quite pointed straight and the execution was poor. He left doubt in the umpires mind as it went out closer to the Swans player.

In this case, I think he was ultimately punished for a skill error and I don't mind that. Our game is full of punishing of skill errors.

I just object to the cynicism that suggests that every instance is actually a deliberate ploy to get the ball out.

I think some of you need to put a players and coaches hat on, its all good and well to pay deliberate out of bounds but the AFL should be describing in detail what the player should of done instead.
Do you want your team to knock it back into play directly to the opposition? Do you want it kicked into the middle of the ground and open your defence up to be scored against?
What do you want your team to do? Like sheep every time the ball goes over the line now the crowd yell out deliberate, its amazing how we just follow like sheep every time the AFL changes something.
There is of course some that are deliberate but ones like Sam Mitchell's on the weekend simply should never ever be penalised. He has kicked it 40 m his own teams way which is the object of the game, it was out of a stoppage and there was Hawks players within 10m of where the ball went over the line.
Please someone tell me what you want the player to do, should he of just handballed into open space in the middle of the ground? Should he have kicked into the middle of the ground so his opponent can get it? Should he of held on to the ball and get done for holding the ball?

If my side is one point up with a minute to play I do not want my opponent given any possible chance of getting it. Do you want your teams opponent to get the ball? If you do then this ridiculous rule is for you.

I think some of you need to put a players and coaches hat on, its all good and well to pay deliberate out of bounds but the AFL should be describing in detail what the player should of done instead.
Do you want your team to knock it back into play directly to the opposition? Do you want it kicked into the middle of the ground and open your defence up to be scored against?
What do you want your team to do? Like sheep every time the ball goes over the line now the crowd yell out deliberate, its amazing how we just follow like sheep every time the AFL changes something.
There is of course some that are deliberate but ones like Sam Mitchell's on the weekend simply should never ever be penalised. He has kicked it 40 m his own teams way which is the object of the game, it was out of a stoppage and there was Hawks players within 10m of where the ball went over the line.
Please someone tell me what you want the player to do, should he of just handballed into open space in the middle of the ground? Should he have kicked into the middle of the ground so his opponent can get it? Should he of held on to the ball and get done for holding the ball?

If my side is one point up with a minute to play I do not want my opponent given any possible chance of getting it. Do you want your teams opponent to get the ball? If you do then this ridiculous rule is for you.

The problem is Nathan Buckley and Chris Scott love the rule and agree the AFL have to hit it hard initially. It sounded like the rule had the team's support overall.

Was Mitchells before or after Suckling was penalized for being pushed over the line by Cyril? Payback? That decision cost us a goal, which in the context of a three point loss is clearly very significant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Mitchells before or after Suckling was penalized for being pushed over the line by Cyril? Payback? That decision cost us a goal, which in the context of a three point loss is clearly very significant.

I don't know mate, the point is these are all ridiculous decisions and against every natural football instinct.

If they kick directly at the boundary line then i guess fair enough. the ones i don't like is when they're already pretty much on the boundary, and hack a kick out of a pack downthe line and it bounces out. I mean looking for the line is one thing, but you can't expect a bloke who is already on the boundary to just kick blindly into the centre square.

stiff but they've been calling it like that all year.....wasnt him taking possession 2 metres from the line it was the paddle directly to the line, wanted nothin but the boundary there

Two minutes later Stringer basically pulled his opponent over the line in an attempt to get it out, but because technically he is being tackled it wasn't called.

Two minutes later Stringer basically pulled his opponent over the line in an attempt to get it out, but because technically he is being tackled it wasn't called.
a tackle that goes over the line goes over the line, it isn't the tacklers incentive to keep it in play (the person being tackled wants the boundary too to not get pinged for HTB)

That's very different than hitting the ball towards the boundary

That was the worst umpiring decision I have seen since I started watching footy a couple of decades ago.

It didnt take long for our free kicks/non-free kicks to fade away in to nothingness.

That call... boy oh boy. Running at full speed and Im not even sure he took possession before he went over the line.

Hopefully Luke Ball can give us a re-enactment on Tuesday morning to show how easy it is to do a 180 while running hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back