List Mgmt. DFA 2016: Period #3 opens 26/11 (Player List & Signings in OP)

Which DFA would you like most?

• Barlow (FRE)

Votes: 40 21.3%
  • Grigg (ADE)

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • Henderson (ADE)

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Dempsey (ESS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dea (ESS)

• Russell (GCS)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Grimes (MEL)

• Dawes (MEL)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • McKenzie (NM)

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Templeton (STK)

• Richards (SYD)

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • McInnes (WCE)

• Brown (WCE)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Litherland (HAW)

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • O'Shea (PA)

• Not Listed

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Barrett (GWS)

Votes: 37 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The trouble is that Gorringe, Jones, Jaksch and Casboult will be lucky to tally 40 goals between them.
Good thing they're the second choice brigade! :p

The goal will be to have a fairly mobile unit, often capable of contested marks 1v1. Gorringe, C.Curnow, Silvagni, Palmer, Smedts, Levi, McKay, Pickett and Jones are all capable of this.

When we've got 2 or more of last year's draft talls and 2 or more of this year's trade smalls in the mix, we're a more dangerous forward structure, and also capable of immense forward pressure.

A genuine forward who can straighten us up would be handy if Levi keeps misfiring. I assume Dees will retain Dawes though.

Barlow or Dal Santo to add to the midfield rotations will be very helpful for us. Dal Santo particularly is a good ball user and still racked up the stats in 2016. Reckon he has a year or two left in him still. Can take Daisy's spot.

Midfield

1. Cripps
2. Gibbs
3. Murphy
4. E Curnow
5. Palmer
6. Dal Santo/Barlow
7. Wright
8. Kerridge
9. Cuningham
10. Boekhorst
11. Graham

* Pick 5 may play right away in there somewhere
** Not sure where Pickett will play or if he will be ready

It is a shallow midfield and if you can pick up a mid for free and they slot in right at the bottom of their first rotation that is something we should look at for a year or two. The worst that can happen is the VFL team gets the benefit of some experience.

Heard somewhere, trade radio I think, that Dawes has been told that he won't be on the list next year. That was yesterday.

Good thing they're the second choice brigade! :p

The goal will be to have a fairly mobile unit, often capable of contested marks 1v1. Gorringe, C.Curnow, Silvagni, Palmer, Smedts, Levi, McKay, Pickett and Jones are all capable of this.

When we've got 2 or more of last year's draft talls and 2 or more of this year's trade smalls in the mix, we're a more dangerous forward structure, and also capable of immense forward pressure.

Still gotta have someone play as a KPP, that's what I am getting at.
None of the options tried during 2016 were up to AFL standard.

Still gotta have someone play as a KPP, that's what I am getting at.
None of the options tried during 2016 were up to AFL standard.
Levi will be the old-school contested option, but the goal will to be create spread and overlap with the mobility and smarts of our forward unit. With better ball users and more running power, we should be able to execute the system better and bomb to the hotspot less.

but the goal will to be create spread and overlap with the mobility and smarts of our forward unit. With better ball users and more running power, we should be able to execute the system better and bomb to the hotspot less.

So we just bypass Casboult completely!
Love it!

If we're going the Barlow/NDS route, which I don't think we should, I'd rather pick up Mitchell. Expect he'd set a good example at the Bullants and perform a role in the seniors when needed. Not sure the other two would give their all in the reserves all year.

DVR might surprise with one more year. Seems like he is physically behind other players of the same age. With another year he might just be... ok?
I said in another thread ages ago that the club might be looking at delisting DVR with the intention of moving him to the rookie list. Give him another 12 - 24 months with zero pressure and see how he goes. He is as much a work in progress as JGM is.

If we're going the Barlow/NDS route, which I don't think we should, I'd rather pick up Mitchell. Expect he'd set a good example at the Bullants and perform a role in the seniors when needed. Not sure the other two would give their all in the reserves all year.
The angry little ant with a pony tail? Might be a bit small for a midfield role which is why Port have let him go.

I heard that Wines was a fan a couple of seasons ago when he first started there. Might be good for the NBs if he doesn't get picked up.

I think that we should be looking at a couple of the older guys as depth for a couple of years... Barlow, Grimes, NDS... and look at guys like Richards and Towers for depth for 3-4 years. They would probably get to play around 100 games for the club before they end up out the door.

The angry little ant with a pony tail? Might be a bit small for a midfield role which is why Port have let him go.

I heard that Wines was a fan a couple of seasons ago when he first started there. Might be good for the NBs if he doesn't get picked up.
Don't know about the angry ant part but yes, think he'd serve more use and be an upgrade to Graham.

Don't mean as a person, just how he plays ... like he has something to prove.

We could do worse as a rookie.

Mick Barlow is only 28 and would in all likelihood be a best 22 player for the next 3 years. I know it's the cliche 'big bodied midfielder' to help out Crippsy idea, but he's still playing good footy and came into the system late, we'd be silly not to look at him.

Mick Barlow is only 28 and would in all likelihood be a best 22 player for the next 3 years. I know it's the cliche 'big bodied midfielder' to help out Crippsy idea, but he's still playing good footy and came into the system late, we'd be silly not to look at him.
Has slowed a bit and suffered from having Ross Lyon as coach and a change in role. Would be worth one year to see if he can adapt to our game style. Certainly knows how to find it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has slowed a bit and suffered from having Ross Lyon as coach and a change in role. Would be worth one year to see if he can adapt to our game style. Certainly knows how to find it.

They put the acid on him this year and sent him back to the magoos where he proceeded to rack up a bazillion possessions .

He's still a very good player and he got back into the firsts but Freo this year were a disorganised rabble on and off the field.

Quality bloke and footy head, pretty sure he wants to coach.

A genuine forward who can straighten us up would be handy if Levi keeps misfiring. I assume Dees will retain Dawes though.

Barlow or Dal Santo to add to the midfield rotations will be very helpful for us. Dal Santo particularly is a good ball user and still racked up the stats in 2016. Reckon he has a year or two left in him still. Can take Daisy's spot.

Midfield

1. Cripps
2. Gibbs
3. Murphy
4. E Curnow
5. Palmer
6. Dal Santo/Barlow
7. Wright
8. Kerridge
9. Cuningham
10. Boekhorst
11. Graham

It is a shallow midfield and if you can pick up a mid for free and they slot in right at the bottom of their first rotation that is something we should look at for a year or two. The worst that can happen is the VFL team gets the benefit of some experience.
You could take Daisy's spot !

Dal Santo can use the footy, but jumps out of the way a little too much for my liking...

Buckley's the only other uncontracted player.

We would have never taken pick 70 off Hawthorn if we had no intention of using it. That's 6 at the draft.

Dawes is set to be released.
Ok fair point re pick 70. Sos must have something up his sleeve then. If we are taking 4 in the ND between picks 48 - 70, then he must believe there are a couple of muggets to be had there, or he's thinking of some mature state league recruits?

You could take Daisy's spot !

Dal Santo can use the footy, but jumps out of the way a little too much for my liking...
That's why I'm keen on Barlow instead. He only played 13 games last year but still finished 8th in Freos BnF. He still finds the footy, averaging 25 disposals a game, and isn't afraid to get in and under or even do a tagging role.

Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Barlow, Curnow, Palmer ... that's a decent starting midfield group.

Barlow is the name that sticks out there. Easily the best player on that list and I am surprised he finds himself in this position.

Still a very capable footballer who would comfortably be best 22 at Carlton as well as at numerous other clubs across the competition.

I would be very happy should he find his way to Carlton but if we are interested we certainly won't be the only club to give his management a call.

There are others who could certainly be handy additions and will no doubt be looked at, but Barlow is the one who for mine would be of greatest benefit.

i dont want any dfa's. i am tired of picking up others cast offs. how are any of them going to help us become a top 4 side. we have picked up smedts wright palmer kerridge etc. surely thats enough foot soldiers and we need to now go to the draft and try to get elite talent. its what we lack.

i dont want any dfa's. i am tired of picking up others cast offs. how are any of them going to help us become a top 4 side. we have picked up smedts wright palmer kerridge etc. surely thats enough foot soldiers and we need to now go to the draft and try to get elite talent. its what we lack.
Still have to fill the list. Can't keep delisting blokes without replacing them.

May be better to take Barlow and Grimes as senior team back ups than hang onto two other players who will never be capable of filling in at senior level.

Barlow and Palmer is a great idea
Gives us the depth and ball winning ability we lacked this year
Reality is all teams have experience

Am I right in thinking that Palmer is pretty slow at this point? And Barlow is a good ball-winner, but treacle slow. Cripps isn't exactly renowned for his pace - having all 3 of those guys and no real speedsters in the midfield might leave us badly exposed for speed.

That said, I'm all for rotating through some new blood. I can't see Everitt, Graham, Tutt, Jones, Jaksch etc providing much more. If Xavier Richards becomes available I'd like to take a chance on him - we really lack a mobile forward who can lead and take a mark, and I thought he held his head up pretty well for the Swans in the GF

Bulldogs picked up hamling as a dfa...

Midfield

1. Cripps
2. Gibbs
3. Murphy
4. E Curnow
5. Palmer
6. Dal Santo/Barlow
7. Wright
8. Kerridge
9. Cuningham
10. Boekhorst
11. Graham

I think this will be of huge importance, getting our VFL team up to scratch as we saw last season we started off okay, got a few injuries and then were very ordinary. Everyone seems to under rate the value of good VFL sides, Box Hill, Footscray even Casey. A strong VFL team allows the young guys to play and compete at a higher level rather than just chasing butt around hindering their development.

Back