List Mgmt. 2018-19 DFA & SSP Period (Midseason Draft after Round 10)

He had a very poor year. I'm not sure why he was drafted to be honest.

He did have a poor year, but it was his first year back in the system, in a new state, and he's not even 23 yet. Had some injury issues too.

Has some tricks and there's plenty of talent there, whether he makes it or not only time will tell, but given where we're at it'd be a silly move to pay him out now.

Reassess in 12 months time.

He did have a poor year, but it was his first year back in the system, in a new state, and he's not even 23 yet. Had some injury issues too.

Has some tricks and there's plenty of talent there, whether he makes it or not only time will tell, but given where we're at it'd be a silly move to pay him out now.

Reassess in 12 months time.
Perhaps, but it was the lack of intent to attack the ball carrier and the ball that concerned me. That's something that has been lacking his entire career at every level. I'm not sure an extra year is going to change that.

Perhaps, but it was the lack of intent to attack the ball carrier and the ball that concerned me. That's something that has been lacking his entire career at every level. I'm not sure an extra year is going to change that.

Intent looked good in the preseason before he hurt his shoulder against St Kilda.

Let's see if that aspect of his game improves in 2019.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Last night I was thinking lets get some DFA's. There will be some good value.

Today my thinking is more along the lines of Agresta drafting untried talent to find our version or Rory Laird and Jayden Short in the rookie draft or late in the national draft.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Just taking a deeper look at the clubs I've been mentioning with some favourable uncontracted names, so let's see what the availability of those names is actually like in terms of list requirements:

Collingwood

39 on senior list
Picks 41, 44, 51, 57, 93

3 further changes expected on the senior list

Likely candidates: Kirby, Blair, J.Smith

Hawthorn
36 on senior list
Picks 53, 90

0 further changes expected on the senior list

Sydney
35 on senior list
Picks 26, 33, 38, 39, 40, 88

West Coast
37 on senior list
Picks 20, 22, 61, 72, 76

0 further expected changes on the senior list

Summary: Unless we can convince the players from these clubs of a decent chance at senior opportunities, we won't shake much out of the rich potential options of those four. Greenwood (Pies), Lovell (Hawks), Snelling (Port) and Partington (Eagles) seem like the most obvious candidates.

Edit: Given we've just said goodbye to Rowe, Lamb, Kerridge and Graham, we're clearly in the market for a DFA.

Has to be a KPD I think - Hugh Goddard come on down.
I think it's more likely to be midfield support if possible, but we'll see.

I like Mihochek, Greenwood, Miles, Sheridan, Austin in that order.

Mihochek really looked a player this year, probably a long shot but we could certainly offer him more money to come across.

I'd rather Greenwood to Barlow if we're considering him. Some other handy players.

So long as we don't load up on one type without much upside as we did this year, I think 3-4 from this group, or state league players, should be our aim.
I wouldn't expect many of those names to shake loose.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Has baggage. What are the positives?
I should have said 'might' rather than 'would.'
He's got some mongrel, is in the right age group, is a decent kick, and can play at at either end of the ground.
What are your thoughts on him?

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
I should have said 'might' rather than 'would.'
He's got some mongrel, is in the right age group, is a decent kick, and can play at at either end of the ground.
What are your thoughts on him?
I agree with you concerning some mongrel but I think that’s his downfall as well. His lack of discipline would be a distraction.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with you concerning some mongrel but I think that’s his downfall as well. His lack of discipline would be a distraction.
That's a fair point.
I wonder whether Captain Cripps would be able to keep him in line?
Just on Cripps, before hearing his speech at B&F i thought that he might have been soft towards his team mates, and that Doc was the more demanding of the two. However after hearing him warn his team mates about coming back in good shape, I realise I was totally off the mark.
I think he is going to be a ruthless captain in regards to player standards; both on and off the field.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
That's a fair point.
I wonder whether Captain Cripps would be able to keep him in line?
Just on Cripps, before hearing his speech at B&F i thought that he might have been soft towards his team mates, and that Doc was the more demanding of the two. However after hearing him warn his team mates about coming back in good shape, I realise I was totally off the mark.
I think he is going to be a ruthless captain in regards to player standards; both on and off the field.
I think Judd was Cripps go to guy when he first arrived. Having read Juddy’s book it’s fair to say he’s an obsessive guy who is willing to go to extreme lengths to succeed. It’s not surprising to me that Cripps appears to have followed in those footsteps.

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton
Offers more then pickett an was playing hurt all year.

Goddard I saw alot of at vfl level i rate alot.but he is God awful slow but a upgrade on rowe in a offensive way.
Yep. Garlett had to deal with getting back into AFL, moving interstate, moving his partner interstate, shoulder injury that needed surgery, a pregnant wife & his first child on the way. He had plenty on his plate for a young man to deal with. Hopefully he’ll have settled in to a routine & things will improve onfield.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Just taking a deeper look at the clubs I've been mentioning with some favourable uncontracted names, so let's see what the availability of those names is actually like in terms of list requirements:

Collingwood

39 on senior list
Picks 41, 44, 51, 57, 93

3 further changes expected on the senior list

Likely candidates: Kirby, Blair, J.Smith

Hawthorn
36 on senior list
Picks 53, 90

Sydney
35 on senior list
Picks 26, 33, 38, 39, 40, 88

West Coast
37 on senior list
Picks 20, 22, 61, 72, 76

0 further expected changes on the senior list

Summary: Unless we can convince the players from these clubs of a decent chance at senior opportunities, we won't shake much out of the rich potential options of those four. Greenwood (Pies), Lovell (Hawks), Snelling (Port) and Partington (Eagles) seem like the most obvious candidates.
Completely left Rose out of this analysis. Suspect we'll attempt to lure him away with a 2 year deal.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Why do you say that mate, heard something?
It's been reported that he's only been offered a one year deal at the Swans.

Agresta would be well familiar with him, and he's an excellent depth option for our midfield and our forward line.

RoyalParade

Cancelled
Feb 19, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
It's been reported that he's only been offered a one year deal at the Swans.

Agresta would be well familiar with him, and he's an excellent depth option for our midfield and our forward line.
Fair enough . Is he the player we want though. I'd assume we would want a pure mid or KPD

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Fair enough . Is he the player we want though. I'd assume we would want a pure mid or KPD
Take a look for yourself:

Too good to be sitting in the reserves another year, and it looks he's not in their first choice, or even their regular rotation.

Back