Delisted Free Agency - Welcome Michael Barlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought rockets radio interview suggested we wouldn't have room and would take another draftee?

Never thought Barlow would be an option because coach has gone on and on about lacking runners and Barlow is not that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought rockets radio interview suggested we wouldn't have room and would take another draftee?

Never thought Barlow would be an option because coach has gone on and on about lacking runners and Barlow is not that

Yeah I just thought, this time around, surrounding our fresh youth with mature bodies for a couple of years would be wise. I get Barlow might not be the runner we need, that'll be the kids, but he's seasoned, hard at it and is an accumulator.

We could do worse, like keep some of the cloggers on contract.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You have to pick up Barlow, you have to.

He can still play and regardless of pace, he's a big body needed to not only help out Ablett along with Hanley and Lyons but protect the youth you're going to be bringing in.

I've loved the off-season the Suns have had and I really do think they'd benefit immensely from picking up Barlow, don't make the same mistake we did with Neeld by dismissing older campaigners.

The value we got from Cross both on and off field was tremendous for our young players and we're doing the same again with Lewis.

What a shame that a player who is almost a perfect fit for us (if he was 12-24months younger he would be a shoe in) is on the free market yet we just don't have the room for him, and the noise coming out of the club is that we will be opening up an extra spot for Scheer and that's it. But I guess we have been burned before by Malceski so the club is being extra cautious about the mature recruits they bring in and Barlow's shoulder isn't 100% apparently. They are surely the only reasons why we aren't all over him.

Barlow > Microphone head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pay out Grants contract.
sign Barlow as a DFA.
rookie Everitt.

DONE*. Like for like swap, plus we get Barlow

*Never gonna happen, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between Grant and Everitt. Plus we tried to get Everitt over Grant last trade period.
Exactly. We get him for free as a rookie, if he works great. If not move on

"Marty Pask, my manager, has had some really constructive approaches over the past little period. There's some good strong interest, which is really pleasing," he said.

Pleasing, he says...

who is the player? Barlow?

Yes, lets chase players to come to the Gold Coast to play for the Suns then cut them before their contract runs out. Sounds like a great way to attract players to the Coast and please player managers and get juniors excited about coming to the club!

Sorry, not a fan of delisting contracted players as a long term strategy. Seems counter-productive to me.

Will cop it in this one instance were we are letting go someone who has had a good crack at making it and picking up a high draft pick payer like Scheer.

But I can't see how we can ask players to sign on to the club and stay loyal and commit to living up here and then dump a contracted player when we want to chase the new shiny delisted free agent.

Yeah if we are cutting contracted players to bring Barlow in, how do you think he will feel knowing he might be cut next year into a 2 year contract to bring the next great signing in? It wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence in his mind. Stroppy makes a good point.

"Marty Pask, my manager, has had some really constructive approaches over the past little period. There's some good strong interest, which is really pleasing," he said.

Pleasing, he says...

absolute gold

does anyone know if it was him or carlton who shut us down last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back