List Mgmt. Delisted free agents 2016 - discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon considering Xavier Richards and Josh Green.

Clubs are in a holding pattern waiting to see how they do in the national draft according to afl.com.

Thanks for that.

So, we will use one pick to elevate Krakouer and if we draft a DFA he will fill one of six remaining slots on our list thus leaving five slots for the Draft. That is assuming we go with a full list of 40 players. If we opt for 39 players we will only take four in the draft elevate Krakouer and list a DFA. Of course if we do not pick up a DFA we could still go with 39 players and take five in the Draft.I guess those are the options that are preoccupying Hinkley and co atm.

However it works out I wonder who we would take with pick no 103 ? :)
We have 7 main list spots, no rookie. However we are upgrading Krak so that leaves us with 6 main list spots and 1 rookie. I hope we get a DFA because using picks 85 & 103 would be a waste of time and we would've been better off with O'Shea .

We have 7 main list spots, no rookie. However we are upgrading Krak so that leaves us with 6 main list spots and 1 rookie. I hope we get a DFA because using picks 85 & 103 would be a waste of time and we would've been better off with O'Shea .
What happened to the rookie spot K Mitchell held?

We have officially upgraded Krak so we are at 34 + 3 on the rookie list ie Snelling Hewett and Houston. We have cut 7 so we have to bring 7 into the squad of 44 whether we are go with 38+6 or 39+5 or 40+4.

Cut from main list that started at 39 - Butcher, Schulz, Colquhoon, Carlile, Stewart and O'Shea = 33
Cut from the rookie list that started at 5 - Mitchell =4
Upgrading Krak last week left us at 34+3 = 37.
I get the impression we are going to go with 38+6 if we don't get the right DFA, or 39+5 if we get 1.

The club is probably thinking that Barrett will slide to one of those picks and at the same time are thinking there are other genuine options that may slide to those picks as well - the type of player they take here may also depend on what we get in our first four picks.

Additionally why offer a contract to a DFA when they can be picked up much cheaper via the draft?

We have officially upgraded Krak so we are at 34 + 3 on the rookie list ie Snelling Hewett and Houston. We have cut 7 so we have to bring 7 into the squad of 44 whether we are go with 38+6 or 39+5 or 40+4.

Cut from main list that started at 39 - Butcher, Schulz, Colquhoon, Carlile, Stewart and O'Shea = 33
Cut from the rookie list that started at 5 - Mitchell =4
Upgrading Krak last week left us at 34+3 = 37.
I get the impression we are going to go with 38+6 if we don't get the right DFA, or 39+5 if we get 1.
Well probably have a fifth pick ~#80, which will then become a pick in the late 60's or early 70's after bids and passes, we could still get a decent player around that range

Well probably have a fifth pick ~#80, which will then become a pick in the late 60's or early 70's after bids and passes, we could still get a decent player around that range
But we probably wont use it is my point.

But we probably wont use it is my point.

Not sure we will go with 38 though. It will save salary cap but it is a bit risky. I think we will go with 39 and 5. As has been suggested a pick 80 could become a higher pick if enough clubs pass. We could save a late pick till the PSD if the right player is still around. The PSD is not that well patronised these days so we may get lucky.

I have not heard more about it lately but we may also have a couple of Cat B multi cultural rookies to add to our list.

Additionally why offer a contract to a DFA when they can be picked up much cheaper via the draft?
why cheaper? are you talking about $?
So what you are saying is that Barrett could ask for $150k per season on a 2 year contract, yet if we hold out and pick him up at pick 80 odd we can get him for base salary?

Its a fair risk really but i understand the reasoning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit surprise by the inaction league wide to be honest. There are certainly some DFA's you would expect will be picked up but very quiet so far. Is it likely that it is all about the negotiations taking place in the background between clubs and managers? ....
Much of then talking would have been done weeks ago I'd have thought. My bet is that it is what it is and that most moves have now been done.

why cheaper? are you talking about $?
So what you are saying is that Barrett could ask for $150k per season on a 2 year contract, yet if we hold out and pick him up at pick 80 odd we can get him for base salary?

Its a fair risk really but i understand the reasoning

Correct, pick him up for base salary

Not necessarily. Previously listed players can nominate a salary in the ND. Luke Ball and Ben Jacobs both did.

Very true but Barretts fall back in all of this is a GWS rookie spot, hardly the sound of someone putting a price on his head to get to a destination.

So Barlow to the Suns and Henderson to the Hawks only DFAs signed in first period.

NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins: Thursday, November 10
NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes: Friday, November 18

AFL National Draft Friday November 25

NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins: Saturday, November 26
NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes: Sunday, November 27, 2pm

AFL Pre Season and Rookie drafts Monday November 28

Final AFL club list lodgement: Monday, November 30, 2pm

So Barlow to the Suns and Henderson to the Hawks only DFAs signed in first period.

NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins: Thursday, November 10
NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes: Friday, November 18

AFL National Draft Friday November 25

NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins: Saturday, November 26
NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes: Sunday, November 27, 2pm

AFL Pre Season and Rookie drafts Monday November 28

Final AFL club list lodgement: Monday, November 30, 2pm
I fully get having another DFA period post draft but I sure don't get the reasoning behind another one starting tomorrow.

Essendon have delisted Shaun Mckernan but will pick him in the rookie draft. He is flakey, but he fills a need on our list. Don't know. I assume he would have more impact than Eddy?

Essendon have delisted Shaun Mckernan but will pick him in the rookie draft. He is flakey, but he fills a need on our list. Don't know. I assume he would have more impact than Eddy?
He's a better ruck than forward isn't he?

Horrible waste of a list spot, even as a rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back