List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents / Experienced Draft Targets

Which experienced players should Sydney target as delisted free agents/draft?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Luke Tapscott has been delisted by Melbourne. I would take him in a heartbeat as I think with the right environment he has the potential to be a sort of Shannon Hurn type player.

Actually if we were looking for a Shannon Hurn type player the 'lite' version in Blayne Wilson who West Coast delisted could be a rookie option.

Lovely kick (though not as long as Hurn), fine intercept mark, but like Hurn not really a true defender.
Too short (188cm) to play on the talls and too slow to play on the nippy smalls.

Think he'd be a good pick up for someone like Melbourne, but perhaps not for our game style.

Apparently Luke Tapscott has been delisted by Melbourne. I would take him in a heartbeat as I think with the right environment he has the potential to be a sort of Shannon Hurn type player.

He has a powerful and accurate kick and he plays off half back which is why I compared him to Hurn.

Will be rookie listed if no one else picks him up according to this:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-31/dees-cut-another-top-pick
Must be some injury issues.

Greg Broughton delisted by gc, they have an agreement to draft him back as a rookie. I would considers offering him a senior spot

I thought he was good when at Fremantle and surprised when they delisted him. We need taller so can't see it happening.

I thought he was good when at Fremantle and surprised when they delisted him. We need taller so can't see it happening.
He could add some relief to shaw and would be a great permanent replacement. He has excellent foot skills aswell. I would have broughton to do shaw's role and rampe to play mal's.

( assuming Johnson does not play seniors)

I agree with your sentiments.

I said the same thing on here the other day on here and didn't get much bite.

Maybe Derickx could be trained as a defender and play when we need to look after a resting ruckman, freeing Tippett from rucking anywhere except the forward line. Pyke can then take the midfield and Derickx could ruck in defense.

IF we could get that to work I think it may be advantageous for us to so.

Not sure if Derickx is capable or not, but as you've said you can't question his intent. Whether that is enough I am not sure.
Carlton were going to take him as a key defender. Derickx said Carlton were keen on taking him as a key defender if they missed out on Watson and also spoke to North a bit.

He is very agile ( big tank ) and quicker than we think for a bloke 200+cm , just as agile as Grundy imo and more so than Tippett.

He was SHOCKING when rucking with Pyke first up but when Pyke got injured and he was the number 1 he played some pretty good footy against Hawks , Ess ( very good that game against Ryder/T Bell ) , Cats and some off his 2nd efforts in close were Mummy like , but still no BIG Mummy but not many are.

Look what we did with Pyke and making him into a player ( outstanding in 2013 ) so I think we can make him a player and only 26.

Experimenting with him as a KD well im not sure lol ( not directed at you ) , might be agile enough though but still think we have options before we go down that path surely , maybe just stick with him rucking at this point. I think he gives his all and is not no scared to put his body on the line and that's all you ask.

Still hope Reid gets switched ( would be a better defender than forward imo and is doing nothing forward so whats the risk but reward or fail ) but im not sure Horse will do it , think they will go same defence and try XR ( scary thought atm imo ) IF needed before he sends Reid back fulltime or draft ( rookie draft ) a mature age or hope AJ gets back.
Just don't think Reid will be sent to defence

Last edited:
Carlton were going to take him as a key defender. Derickx said Carlton were keen on taking him as a key defender if they missed out on Watson and also spoke to North a bit.

He is very agile ( big tank ) and quicker than we think for a bloke 200+cm , just as agile as Grundy imo and more so than Tippett.

He was SHOCKING when rucking with Pyke first up but when Pyke got injured and he was the number 1 he played some pretty good footy against Hawks , Ess ( very good that game against Ryder/T Bell ) , Cats and some off his 2nd efforts in close were Mummy like , but still no BIG Mummy but not many are.

Look what we did with Pyke and making him into a player ( outstanding in 2013 ) so I think we can make him a player and only 26.

Experimenting with him as a KD well im not sure lol ( not directed at you ) , might be agile enough though but still think we have options before we go down that path surely , maybe just stick with him rucking at this point. I think he gives his all and is not no scared to put his body on the line and that's all you ask.

Still hope Reid gets switched ( would be a better defender than forward imo and is doing nothing forward so whats the risk but reward or fail ) but im not sure Horse will do it , think they will go same defence and try XR ( scary thought atm imo ) IF needed before he sends Reid back fulltime or draft ( rookie draft ) a mature age or hope AJ gets back.
Just don't think Reid will be sent to defence
My only thing with Reid in defence is that he gets bumped off the ball fairly easily, he has the height but his ability to hold his position is not great. When he plays loose in defence you dont really see him get knocked out of position because he has no man so id be interested to see how he goes when caught 1 out deep with decent sized forward.
Would love to see D-Rex turn into a defender, hard and nails and would have no issue with bigger forwards, I feel this is a bit of a pipe dream though.

My only thing with Reid in defence is that he gets bumped off the ball fairly easily, he has the height but his ability to hold his position is not great. When he plays loose in defence you dont really see him get knocked out of position because he has no man so id be interested to see how he goes when caught 1 out deep with decent sized forward.
Would love to see D-Rex turn into a defender, hard and nails and would have no issue with bigger forwards, I feel this is a bit of a pipe dream though.

None of our defenders when caught one on one can cope. my memories of grundy one out on cloke are cloke marking the ball in the goal square and grundy lying on his stomach contemplating how he got there.

Likewise i remember teddy getting moved off both riewoldt and petrie after being absolutely belted one on one on the lead repeatedly.

Reid is quick enough to play from behind and has long enough arms to get a spoil in provided the ball is not delivered with precision. Like everything else this is all dependent upon our midfield actually demonstrating that they are top dogs in the league and running both ways to stop unpressured kicks to advantage. If we can't do that it won't matter whether reid is strong or not.

First 'permission to train' list released today.

We have no one on the list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-13/exsun-trains-with-saints
AFL permission to train list
Carlton -
Jason Tutt (Western Bulldogs)
Collingwood - Tony Armstrong (Collingwood)
Essendon - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (Essendon VFL), Sam Tagliabue (Essendon VFL)
Gold Coast - Greg Broughton (Gold Coast), Andrew Raines (Brisbane Lions)
Melbourne - Mitchell Gent (Casey Scorpions), Edward Morris (Casey Scorpions), James Munro (Casey Scorpions), Bryce Rutherford (Casey Scorpions), Luke Tapscott (Melbourne)
North Melbourne - Cameron Delaney (North Melbourne), Max Warren (North Melbourne)
St Kilda - Cameron Banfield (Sandringham), Elliot le Grice (Sandringham), Shaun McKernan (Adelaide), Jack Noone (Sandringham), Kenny Ong (Sandringham), Jared Petrenko (Adelaide), Adam Schneider (St Kilda), Jeremy Taylor (Gold Coast)
Western Bulldogs - Brett Goodes (Western Bulldogs), Alex Greenwood (Western Bulldogs), Daniel Pearce (Western Bulldogs)

we wont have anyone on the list. sydney have already stated they wont be getting any DFA's so i highly doubt we will pick up any in the rookie draft either. my guess is we will take one pick to the draft and the rest will be kids we rookie. not very exciting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we wont have anyone on the list. sydney have already stated they wont be getting any DFA's so i highly doubt we will pick up any in the rookie draft either. my guess is we will take one pick to the draft and the rest will be kids we rookie. not very exciting
Although it would be kind of funny if we grabbed someone a club had delisted and planned to draft back as a rookie. Quite a few clubs seem to be doing that this year. No reason we couldn't snatch one. Grimley, anyone?

Although it would be kind of funny if we grabbed someone a club had delisted and planned to draft back as a rookie. Quite a few clubs seem to be doing that this year. No reason we couldn't snatch one. Grimley, anyone?

Thinking the same thing. Just take a Collingwood player on general trolling principles.

First 'permission to train' list released today.

We have no one on the list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-13/exsun-trains-with-saints
AFL permission to train list
Carlton -
Jason Tutt (Western Bulldogs)
Collingwood - Tony Armstrong (Collingwood)
Essendon - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (Essendon VFL), Sam Tagliabue (Essendon VFL)
Gold Coast - Greg Broughton (Gold Coast), Andrew Raines (Brisbane Lions)
Melbourne - Mitchell Gent (Casey Scorpions), Edward Morris (Casey Scorpions), James Munro (Casey Scorpions), Bryce Rutherford (Casey Scorpions), Luke Tapscott (Melbourne)
North Melbourne - Cameron Delaney (North Melbourne), Max Warren (North Melbourne)
St Kilda - Cameron Banfield (Sandringham), Elliot le Grice (Sandringham), Shaun McKernan (Adelaide), Jack Noone (Sandringham), Kenny Ong (Sandringham), Jared Petrenko (Adelaide), Adam Schneider (St Kilda), Jeremy Taylor (Gold Coast)
Western Bulldogs - Brett Goodes (Western Bulldogs), Alex Greenwood (Western Bulldogs), Daniel Pearce (Western Bulldogs)

How many of the above players will have any impact on a game?

How many of the above players will have any impact on a game?

Grimley was mentioned and I think he would be a good prospect. Maybe not for us as he is a ruck/forward but for another team needing that sort of player.

Back