List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents / Experienced Draft Targets

Which experienced players should Sydney target as delisted free agents/draft?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Club must have faith in.
A) Aliir or XR are capable of stepping up if needed . Watched a lot of the 2s this year and I thought Aliir went past xr but that's my opinion , neither are ready in my view but that can change.
B) Or Reid has been told he is going back .
C) Confident Reg/Ted will get through another year without getting injured. Ted not dropping off anymore.

Going by reports Patfull was on the radar and wanted to join ( don't know what we had to give but anyway ) so they must have some concern over the defence.
The decision of the ban might have forced there hand to send Reid back fulltime , could be a blessing but will see.
Still a rookie draft to go though , see Tippett for North last year.

Last edited:
I really think Reid can play centre half back. I haven't seen anything of xr or aliir so that remains unknown to me. Just gotta hope AJ gets back at some stage.

Another issue of course is the fact grundy is free agent at seasons end.

Id be very happy if we got Saad at 37 as he will come in and make an immediate impact and Luke Thompson in the rookie draft. I tjink those two would improve the list and make this years trade ban a dodged bullet.

I personally wouldn't be happy using 37 on saad. I'd rather use it on a kid, hopefully McDonald or Keitel is there when our pick comes around. But whichever kid we get there I'd back to become a player in our structures. Second round round picks since 08 include hannebery, Reid, Parker and hewett (who will be a player if BF is to be believed). I guess we can hope for Thompson in the rookie draft.

On the topic of small forwards, I'm not of the opinion we need one, but if we did what about Leroy jetta from essendon? There's been no love for him on this thread, but he's talented enough and perhaps a change of scenery would bring out the best in him (we've had a knack for doing that to supposedly washed up players in the past....)

Last edited:

I really think Reid can play centre half back. I haven't seen anything of xr or aliir so that remains unknown to me. Just gotta hope AJ gets back at some stage.

We wont see AJ back till 2016 at the earliest mate if at all, Grundy is a worry if he doesn't re-sign during 2015 you can expect he will go rumors have been circling for a while that he is not happy with his pay.

I hope we use the NAB cup to get some sort of idea on how we structure down back without Mal.

.................... Grundy is a worry if he doesn't re-sign during 2015 you can expect he will go rumors have been circling for a while that he is not happy with his pay..................
And Adelaide desperately need a KPD so ex Adelaide boy Reg may be targeted.

A list on RWO shows our back up in case of injuries is almost non existent. If you put Mitchell into the GF 22 in place of Mal our next line is just Laidler, BJ, Derickx, Towers and Jones, after that all debutants and mostly very young.

Carrying AJ hurts us too.

We'll pick best available KPD at 37 in the draft but whoever it is won't debut in 2015.

Surely we must pick up another one or two experienced players as delisted FA and use the full 40 senior spots. Gives us 4 rookie places of which 2 will be taken by Naismith (3rd year) and Perris (2nd year). Pick 17 in the rookie draft is a long way out.

Luke Thompson delisted by Adelaide is adequate as a KPD, Petrenko is another delisted by Adelaide that might improve enough with us to make the grade as he's had restricted preseasons lately but is now fully fit.

A list on RWO shows our back up in case of injuries is almost non existent. If you put Mitchell into the GF 22 in place of Mal our next line is just Laidler, BJ, Derickx, Towers and Jones, after that all debutants and mostly very young.

Carrying AJ hurts us too.

We'll pick best available KPD at 37 in the draft but whoever it is won't debut in 2015.

Surely we must pick up another one or two experienced players as delisted FA and use the full 40 senior spots. Gives us 4 rookie places of which 2 will be taken by Naismith (3rd year) and Perris (2nd year). Pick 17 in the rookie draft is a long way out.

Luke Thompson delisted by Adelaide is adequate as a KPD, Petrenko is another delisted by Adelaide that might improve enough with us to make the grade as he's had restricted preseasons lately but is now fully fit.

I don't want to see Petrenko either. What need does Petrenko really fill? Personally I think maximum our senior list would go to is 39 (and I think it should, with 5 rookie spots), and I'd like to see us pick up Thompson as a DFA. As you said, pick 17 in the rookie draft is a long way out and we're not exactly the only club after a KPD (dogs, freo, pies, saints, lions, dees).

I have never seen Luke Thompson play a good game. His last game this year against North was awful. We would be truly desperate or have great faith in our development coaches that we could turn him around.

I have never seen Luke Thompson play a good game. His last game this year against North was awful. We would be truly desperate or have great faith in our development coaches that we could turn him around.

Might be time to get the chand-aliir out!

Which ever way we go , if that's Reid going back fulltime or bringing in a DFA which I dont think we will being a 38 senior list ( Rookie a mature age KD yes ) or playing xr/aliir , are 3 tall backs required in 2015 ?.

Roos - Petrie , Brown , Waite
Hawks - Roughy , R Ruck , Gunston , plus Spanger at times when Gunston goes up the ground.
Port - Westoff , Shultz , Ryder
Cats - Hawkins , Clarke if fit , Stanley/Walker/Blicas

Shultz and Gunston are the ones I think Rampe could hold as our 3rd tall but the rest I think not.
Just think its a perfect time for Reid to go back as he is almost a liability forward , plus Ted starting to fall off a little bit and is 32. Will get a full pre season of training in defence and push Rampe up to the HBF.

Which ever way we go , if that's Reid going back fulltime or bringing in a DFA which I dont think we will being a 38 senior list ( Rookie a mature age KD yes ) or playing xr/aliir , are 3 tall backs required in 2015 ?.

Roos - Petrie , Brown , Waite
Hawks - Roughy , R Ruck , Gunston , plus Spanger at times when Gunston goes up the ground.
Port - Westoff , Shultz , Ryder
Cats - Hawkins , Clarke if fit , Stanley/Walker/Blicas

Shultz and Gunston are the ones I think Rampe could hold as our 3rd tall but the rest I think not.
Just think its a perfect time for Reid to go back as he is almost a liability forward , plus Ted starting to fall off a little bit and is 32. Will get a full pre season of training in defence and push Rampe up to the HBF.

I think if all our KPDs remain fit then we probably do have most of the comp covered, but should we lose one of Ted/Reg to injury we're in strife. If you look at the KPD stocks of the other top 4 clubs ours has comfortably the least depth. Because of this, and a lack of role in the forward line, I agree Reid needs to go back. Of all the areas on our list that need reinforcement, KPD and the ruck look most concerning.

I think if all our KPDs remain fit then we probably do have most of the comp covered, but should we lose one of Ted/Reg to injury we're in strife. If you look at the KPD stocks of the other top 4 clubs ours has comfortably the least depth. Because of this, and a lack of role in the forward line, I agree Reid needs to go back. Of all the areas on our list that need reinforcement, KPD and the ruck look most concerning.
Well we haven't played the likes of North/Port/Cats with there new recruits in Waite/Ryder/Clarke etc etc so we really don't know if our KD have them covered.
Just think Rampe is undersized and with Mal gone could move up to the HBF and play a more attacking role and push Reid back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Thompson delisted by Adelaide.

And that disconnect is why we should be wary of Thompson.

With Rutten retiring there was a ready made spot for a KPD, yet they cut Thompson.
Their tall KP defenders are now Talia, Hartigan (7 games in 2014, 10 in total), Shaw (6 games in 2014, 22 in total), Siggins (yet to debut) and Otten (knee reco).
I suppose in an emergency Podsailly could go back or Cheney could continue to play above his height (187cm), but delisting Thompson surely signals buyer beware.

And that disconnect is why we should be wary of Thompson.

With Rutten retiring there was a ready made spot for a KPD, yet they cut Thompson.
Their tall KP defenders are now Talia, Hartigan (7 games in 2014, 10 in total), Shaw (6 games in 2014, 22 in total), Siggins (yet to debut) and Otten (knee reco).
I suppose in an emergency Podsailly could go back or Cheney could continue to play above his height (187cm), but delisting Thompson surely signals buyer beware.

We are discussing discards they are all buyer beware

We are discussing discards they are all buyer beware

Some are let go because of attitudinal issues (eg Robinson), some because of the list profile (eg Warnock) and some even though they fill a clear positional need are let go simply because they are deemed not up to it (eg Thompson).

The latter group is the one I'd prefer us to steer clear from.

Some are let go because of attitudinal issues (eg Robinson), some because of the list profile (eg Warnock) and some even though they fill a clear positional need are let go simply because they are deemed not up to it (eg Thompson).

The latter group is the one I'd prefer us to steer clear from.

I know this is purely speculation, but if the AFL hadn't smacked us with the trade ban, do you think we would have gone after Frost from GWS? The Dees obviously traded to get him and offered him guaranteed senior football, but I'd have thought we would have been a more attractive club to go to than Melbourne. Not sure what we could have given up to get him though....
Obviously Patfull would have been looked as well, but Frost is taller and a more natural sized KPD.

I know this is purely speculation, but if the AFL hadn't smacked us with the trade ban, do you think we would have gone after Frost from GWS? The Dees obviously traded to get him and offered him guaranteed senior football, but I'd have thought we would have been a more attractive club to go to than Melbourne. Not sure what we could have given up to get him though....
Obviously Patfull would have been looked as well, but Frost is taller and a more natural sized KPD.

I like Frost and I think he'll be a good get for Melbourne, but as you say even without the trade ban what could we have offered up?
GWS would always want to make us overpay, plus Frost's stated desire was to move home to Victoria.

The Patfull move was a bit odd in my mind.
Undoubtedly a good player, but as we would have been presumably bringing him in as a best 22 player, not sure he filled a pure need.

Given our list profile if a trade had been achievable and it had been a straight duel I'd have gone Frost.

Grundy free agent next year... didn't realise that. Highly likely to lose Grundy and Richards in the same year then I'd reckon.

Must take a mature KPD, no matter which draft it's in. Fingers crossed (AJ, Aliir and XR) just won't cut it.

Grundy free agent next year... didn't realise that. Highly likely to lose Grundy and Richards in the same year then I'd reckon.

Must take a mature KPD, no matter which draft it's in. Fingers crossed (AJ, Aliir and XR) just won't cut it.
While I understand what you're saying (and I do agree somewhat), the long run is certainly not as bad as the short run.

AJ at his best is a superstar and our most important backman IMO. I'm hoping that 2016 he'll be coming back and building form and by finals 2016 he'd be hitting his stride again. I'm keeping the faith with him like we did Mal after his battles. He's so young he has time on his side to fight back from this and repay the club and himself for sticking tough and getting through it.

Aliir we haven't even seen at senior level but his size and athletisism seems to me to be raw but very useful. From what I've seen of him (very very little) he strikes me as the kind of person who is going to be like a sponge early on and absorb and learn and build. He seems hungry for success and train hard... That bodes very well for us in 2-3 years time.

XR I reckon could really start to develop if he puts on a bit more size the next year. I'd hope he get's a real chance 2015 to develop, throw him in the deep end and let him learn on the job a bit. I think he's the kind of player that would love the challenge and has the right support at the club to withstand the pressure associated with it more-so than others who don't have that strong support network at their fingertips.

While I understand what you're saying (and I do agree somewhat), the long run is certainly not as bad as the short run.

AJ at his best is a superstar and our most important backman IMO. I'm hoping that 2016 he'll be coming back and building form and by finals 2016 he'd be hitting his stride again. I'm keeping the faith with him like we did Mal after his battles. He's so young he has time on his side to fight back from this and repay the club and himself for sticking tough and getting through it.

Aliir we haven't even seen at senior level but his size and athletisism seems to me to be raw but very useful. From what I've seen of him (very very little) he strikes me as the kind of person who is going to be like a sponge early on and absorb and learn and build. He seems hungry for success and train hard... That bodes very well for us in 2-3 years time.

XR I reckon could really start to develop if he puts on a bit more size the next year. I'd hope he get's a real chance 2015 to develop, throw him in the deep end and let him learn on the job a bit. I think he's the kind of player that would love the challenge and has the right support at the club to withstand the pressure associated with it more-so than others who don't have that strong support network at their fingertips.

Unfortunately for AJ, 2015 is a write off and I think with his knees the way they are he would be lucky to play any role at afl level again, let alone as out most important KPD into the future. X Richard definitely needs to put on size, I'm not completely sold on whether he can be an AFL standard KPD. Of the three players you mentioned I feel as though Aliir has the best chance of being a long term, consistent, AFL KPD, and I'm optimistic about him. I hope he makes his debut in 2015.

194cm key defender worth a punt in my opinion especially as he would be cheapish

Maybe renouf from port for ruck depth

The reason Hawks let Renouf go was that he has really bad knees. It is an ongoing problem and is more arthritic apparently. I wouldn't go there. How do we draft Thompson? We only have 38 positions and we have already filled 37. It would mean not filling the number 37 in the draft and I don't think that is going to happen. If we had room in the cap for 39 then we could go for Thompson.

Seeing as we are taking only one "live" pick in the draft, I doubt we are looking at any DFA's

Maybe someone for the rookie list in the rookie draft, but I don't think we will.

We will definitely take rookies. We have only two Rookies on the list now and can have up to six.

I don't know hwo is there to add, but we will def be filling hte empty spots on hte rookie list. It seems our best option for evaluating players and moving them to seniors. We will go nto the year short on senior list

We only had 38 on the Senior list last year. The Senior list depends on how much is in the Salary Cap. If we have money we will draft/preseason draft two players and make 39 but if notwe will draft one young player to fill 38. We have already committed to three academy players R1, R2, R4, to make up to 37 on list. We have 37 in the Draft left & will use it to make 38.

Back