List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents - who should we be targeting?

Who should we target as a DFA?

• Josh Walker

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • Matthew Lobbe

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Harley Bennell

Votes: 91 53.2%
  • Wylie Buzza

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jack Leslie

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Aidyn Johnson

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Callum Moore

Votes: 38 22.2%
  • Billy Longer

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Lukas Webb

Votes: 43 25.1%
  • Richard Douglas

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Jacob Townsend

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Chris Masten

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Lachlan Henderson

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Ben Keays

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Fletcher Roberts

• None

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Ex DFA - Luke Partington

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Sam Murray

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jay Kennedy-Harris

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Zac Clarke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archie Smith

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Hugh Dixon

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Sam Gray

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Sam Skinner

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are lacking back up in three areas:
  1. KPD
  2. small forward
  3. Ruck
Who should we target...
I think the obvious 3 are Moore, Bennell and Webb considering we have/had links in the past.

Wouldn't mind a look at Kennedy-Harris as that small forward. May have a little more to give in our system.

Does someone who was historically delisted e.g. Mitch Grigg, Luke Partington, or someone like that, now acquirable as a DFA given there's DFA for life this year for the first time (as per Cegs' FA eligibility prior to re-signing)?

I remember we were going after Billy Longer. Ended up Shane Savage traded to Saints & getting big boy.

We should go for Billy Longer

Billy Longer has not managed to get on the park consistently for 2yrs, this is mainly due to significant concussion injuries and has therefore retired.

I remember we were going after Billy Longer. Ended up Shane Savage traded to Saints & getting big boy.

We should go for Billy Longer
I reckon his concussion issues have ended his career early - doubt he'll play again at any level.

McCartin probs the same.

Also remember when we were after Longer. Also remember people being a bit confused when we got McEvoy instead. Somehow we actually managed to pull off the bunch of mid-low range picks and a fringe player for a gun trade. I do recall thinking the only downside would probably be that Longer would have been a better long term prospect. Well, perish that thought!

Worth a punt on Bennell, IMO. Assuming he's got his issues reasonably well sorted out. I think the risk with those sorts of acquisitions is over-stated.

We have ZERO key position depth. Get Jack Leslie, Callum Moore and one ruck for depth who can support Reeves in the VFL.

Not sure we have zero KPD depth although we could do with more. We need to bolster a number of areas after reducing our squad to 39.

Our list currently has:
Small Backs: Impey, Burgoyne, Hardwick, Glass, Jiath
Mid Backs: Sicily, Stratton, Scrimshaw, Jones, Greaves
KPD: Frawley, Frost, Koshitzke

Inside Mid: Mitchell, Worpel, O'Meara, Howe, Shiels, Cousins
Outside Mid: Morrison, Smith, Scully, Henderson, Golds
Ruck: McEvoy, Ceglar, Reeves

Small Forward: Wingard, Breust, Puopolo, Walker, Moore, Hanrahan
Mid Forward: Gunston, Ross
KPF: Lewis, Patton, Nash, O'Brien

Granted Burgoyne, Wingard play multiple roles, as do several others.

I would be happy to take a punt on U18 All-Australian ruck Luke Jackson with our first pick if he is available as an athletic 199cm ruck/key forward but as far as targeting free agents that fill our needs I don't see any available that look likely to be in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also remember when we were after Longer. Also remember people being a bit confused when we got McEvoy instead. Somehow we actually managed to pull off the bunch of mid-low range picks and a fringe player for a gun trade. I do recall thinking the only downside would probably be that Longer would have been a better long term prospect. Well, perish that thought!

Worth a punt on Bennell, IMO. Assuming he's got his issues reasonably well sorted out. I think the risk with those sorts of acquisitions is over-stated.

Thought the Swans were big into Bennell.

I find it hard to believe he has sorted hismelf.

Would rather us get a mature ruck to replace Pitto and go after youth.

Thought the Swans were big into Bennell.

I find it hard to believe he has sorted himself
He had meetings with ‘5 or 6’ Melbourne clubs as well according to his manager. There must be a fair bit of confidence that his injuries and behaviour are both manageable in the right environment.

I hope it’s us. I think he’s the kind of punt we can afford to take.

I haven’t seen enough of these guys at AFL level to offer an opinion on any of them. Fortunately our recruiters are better qualified to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Having disqualified myself from being any sort of authority, I have seen Callum Moore at VFL level and was quite impressed. That was of course a year or two ago and I have no idea if he has any injury issues.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Bennell. No doubt a few clubs are doing their due diligence as he he is a high risk/ high reward prospect at this stage of his career.
A strong club with hard nosed leaders may be prepared to take a punt if the medicos give his calf issues the thumbs up. Rookie listing him may be the “safest” option. The down side of course is that his behavioural issues re surface and/ or the calf operations are unsuccessful.
My suspicion is that the risks may outweigh the potential rewards if you take into account his chequered history.

Josh walker as a kpd could be a good pick up thought he wasn't bad when playing seniors , but I don't think our kpp stocks are as bad as some make out . O'briem will be our swingman and clarko definetly liked mcevoy back there end of season.

Our KPP stocks are fine.

In round 22 we had McEvoy, Ceglar, Frawley as genuine talls, and Sicily, Timbo, Nash, Gunston as pseudo talls.

And we beat West coast by 6 goals in perth.

So if you add Lewis, Patton and Frost to that list we are totally fine for height and KP depth. Lots of flexibility there.

To this end - I'm not keen on getting a DFA key position player. Total waste.
Another ruck backup would be great. Have seen too many times where we've been heavily compromised in the ruck area.

In terms of midfield/running power we'll have Mitchell back. With the additional tall (Patton) we'll have more flexibility with how we use Wingard and Gunston.

We're flush with options.

We need class. Finding guys who are highly talented but have injury histories or other concerns is what we need.
Also - the Minchington experiment obviously failed so we'll look for a small forward

So if you add Lewis, Patton and Frost to that list we are totally fine for height and KP depth. Lots of f
To this end - I'm not keen on getting a DFA key position player. Total waste.
agree with this.

if we are looking at any delisted players then only one please, and possibly Webb if he is medically sound

Why has Jacob Townsend fallen out of favour with Richmond? Surplus to needs. Its not often a premiership player get delisted!...and I thought he was really one of the group of first Richmond finals players of 2017 that set the tone of manic hard forward pressure they adopted and have since carried through.
Is there a spot for him at the Hawks?

That list is missing kaiden brand.

And tbh honest as a back up suits our list weaknesses slightly better than the others.

Bennell could play but its been years since we've seen it.

Don't think we'll take any of them though but who saw the Mohr signing coming?

Why has Jacob Townsend fallen out of favour with Richmond? Surplus to needs. Its not often a premiership player get delisted!...and I thought he was really one of the group of first Richmond finals players of 2017 that set the tone of manic hard forward pressure they adopted and have since carried through.
Is there a spot for him at the Hawks?

He had a short hot streak that coincided with their late season form and finals run. It was never going to be sustainable.

Back