List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents - who should we be targeting?

Who should we target as a DFA?

• Josh Walker

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • Matthew Lobbe

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Harley Bennell

Votes: 91 53.2%
  • Wylie Buzza

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jack Leslie

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Aidyn Johnson

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Callum Moore

Votes: 38 22.2%
  • Billy Longer

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Lukas Webb

Votes: 43 25.1%
  • Richard Douglas

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Jacob Townsend

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Chris Masten

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Lachlan Henderson

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Ben Keays

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Fletcher Roberts

• None

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Ex DFA - Luke Partington

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Sam Murray

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jay Kennedy-Harris

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Zac Clarke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archie Smith

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Hugh Dixon

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Sam Gray

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Sam Skinner

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Major issue is that he gets too grabby in the on one contests ans often gives away frees.

That was one of Hawk fans' main problems with Brand, who Hartley is probably a direct replacement for in terms of KPD depth. Brand could also get a bit panicky when the ball hit the ground, what is Hartley like in that respect, and what would you generally see as Hartley's upsides over a player like Brand?

Nice pickup as KPD depth.

We really lacked in this area last year. Mirra, Brand, Mohr really couldn't provide what we needed.

Hopefully Frost, Hartley, and Kossie can provide the stability at CHB and depth we need to allow our defence to blossom.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So hopefully KPD sorted, pick up another kid in either of the drafts....now what with ruck depth? Archie Smith would be a great get but does he really want to be third in line at the Hawks? When was the last time we had four ruckman on the list?

2019. Big Boy, Ceglar, Pitto and Reeves.

I think he meant with any hope whatsoever of playing at AFL level. Reeves would never have been picked at AFL level in 2019, unless we only had 18 fit players. Even then maybe not :)

That was one of Hawk fans' main problems with Brand, who Hartley is probably a direct replacement for in terms of KPD depth. Brand could also get a bit panicky when the ball hit the ground, what is Hartley like in that respect, and what would you generally see as Hartley's upsides over a player like Brand?

Hartley is better.

Hartley only really gets grabby when he gets stuck on the real big boys. The Hawkins, Lynch, Brown types. But he gets really grabby. Obviously nervous about strength.

Ground level he is not bad but not amazing. He is fine for the position he plays.

His kicking is sublime. Not at the level of Sicily but same style. Bullet like 40-50m passes. What separates Sicily is his athletic ability to create more space for himself to utilise his kicking.

Probably Hartleys biggest flaw is he can get lost a little when the ball moves quickly.

Bizarrely we are happy to fill up a position where we have some decent coverage (kpd eg Frawley,Frost,TOB,Sicily,Kossie even BB) but we haven’t done anything with small forwards. One would think that Butler would have been a decent signing, especially considering Pop is our only real small pressure forward and we have zero cover (Ollie a while away but is a possible ).

Makes me think we may pull a surprise and go a small pressure forward if Kemp is gone eg Weightman... would be highly disappointing and surprising but you never know.

Given Hartley’s kicking ability I wouldn’t be surprised if Clarko loves him and he forces his way into the best 22.

Personally think his weaknesses (other than being a poor contested mark) are more due to a lack of confidence in himself than lack of ability. In 2016 when he was a best 22 lock due to the player suspensions he was much better at backing himself and winning 1 on 1 contests.

Bizarrely we are happy to fill up a position where we have some decent coverage (kpd eg Frawley,Frost,TOB,Sicily,Kossie even BB) but we haven’t done anything with small forwards. One would think that Butler would have been a decent signing, especially considering Pop is our only real small pressure forward and we have zero cover (Ollie a while away but is a possible ).

Makes me think we may pull a surprise and go a small pressure forward if Kemp is gone eg Weightman... would be highly disappointing and surprising but you never know.

Our starting three are Frawley/Frost/Sicily. With Pittonet gone and seemingly no interest in a DFA ruck I don't think the McEvoy defender experiment will continue. TOB back is viable but he's more effective as a forward and Kosi is still developing & injury prone. Taking a readymade Hartley for depth makes sense. Lost Mirra/Brand but gained Frost/Hartley.

However while I think it's a good move I agree our list has more pressing concerns. Still surprised we haven't signalled interest in a readymade ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our starting three are Frawley/Frost/Sicily. With Pittonet gone and seemingly no interest in a DFA ruck I don't think the McEvoy defender experiment will continue. TOB back is viable but he's more effective as a forward and Kosi is still developing & injury prone. Taking a readymade Hartley for depth makes sense. Lost Mirra/Brand but gained Frost/Hartley.

However while I think it's a good move I agree our list has more pressing concerns. Still surprised we haven't signalled interest in a readymade ruck.
We don’t need another readymade ruck
If anything, we could do with a young ruck and develop him at Box Hill
Pittonett wasn’t waiting around at Box Hill anymore

Very handy defender with a booming kick and great spoil but definitely can’t be used in the ruck or fwd, gets lost.

I think he is good enough to challenge Frawley / Frost for a starting spot keeping in mind that Frawley is getting on and Frost prior to 2019 was pretty inconsistent. Good pick up for the hawks if you land him, at worst adds experienced KPD depth.

Very handy defender with a booming kick and great spoil but definitely can’t be used in the ruck or fwd, gets lost.

I think he is good enough to challenge Frawley / Frost for a starting spot keeping in mind that Frawley is getting on and Frost prior to 2019 was pretty inconsistent. Good pick up for the hawks if you land him, at worst adds experienced KPD depth.
Won't replace Frawley but may challenge Frosty.

Absolute wtf. Danny Jacobs should have been the emphatic slamming door on ever recycling or trading for anyone who's touched that joint.

All well and good to have four flags but Clarkson's record is only 15-7 vs that mob. Including losing to them last year which in hindsight gifted them the safety net to back into finals.

Absolute wtf. Danny Jacobs should have been the emphatic slamming door on ever recycling or trading for anyone who's touched that joint.

All well and good to have four flags but Clarkson's record is only 15-7 vs that mob. Including losing to them last year which in hindsight gifted them the safety net to back into finals.
Wtf? Jacobs played through a lot of pain for our club. Show at least a little respect. No world beater but he gave it all for the club and was there in 2008 cheering on the brown and gold.

Wtf? Jacobs played through a lot of pain for our club. Show at least a little respect. No world beater but he gave it all for the club and was there in 2008 cheering on the brown and gold.

Interestingly Danny Jacobs currently holds the record for most marks in a game by a Hawthorn player ever. He took 20 marks in a game against Brisbane in 2007.

Speaks highly of his time at the Hawks too.. Was a very good footballer for Port Colts, had many a tussle with him, was absolutely elite.

Gifted us the absolute pleasure of watching Essendon pantsed in another final (which I hesitated to mention given the polite Essendon posters who've posted in this thread, but Essendon getting eliminated in a week 1 thumping is certainly more entertaining than them not making finals at all from where I'm sitting).

I think he also featured well in the line in the sand game for us. A nice jab if I remember correctly.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back