List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents - who should we be targeting?

Who should we target as a DFA?

• Josh Walker

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • Matthew Lobbe

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Harley Bennell

Votes: 91 53.2%
  • Wylie Buzza

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jack Leslie

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Aidyn Johnson

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Callum Moore

Votes: 38 22.2%
  • Billy Longer

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Lukas Webb

Votes: 43 25.1%
  • Richard Douglas

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Jacob Townsend

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Chris Masten

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Lachlan Henderson

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Ben Keays

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Fletcher Roberts

• None

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Ex DFA - Luke Partington

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Sam Murray

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jay Kennedy-Harris

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Zac Clarke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archie Smith

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Hugh Dixon

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Sam Gray

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Sam Skinner

• Total voters
Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL website says the PSD will be held on 28 November 2019. But if you say it’s next year then.....
It's weird because in the past the rookie and PSD drafts were held on the same day in December a few weeks after the National Draft which is being held over 27/28 November this year.

The few weeks in between allowed clubs enough time to re-assess their lists after the ND

Looks like it was sort of cleared up by Cal Twomey.
As he was delisted after first delist period and offered a contract, that mechanism makes him go to PSD, not a DFA.
Not that it really matters; nor do I particularly care, but doesn't he de-listing from Collingwood make him a DFA for life under the new rules?

What's the logic behind not delisting a player who is obviously off to play somewhere else? Am I missing something?
It means they wanted him to stay, offered a contract, but he wants to go.

Sometimes, when this happens, the club delists out of good will, if he is not highly desired, to let the player go to the choice of his club. Think Henderson

On this occasion, the club said no, if you want to go, go to the draft and take your chances.

Remember, you don't become a free agent by refusing a contract.

Last edited:

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
There is no compo awarded for DFA’s anyway.
No compo for DFAs as they are considered to be players not wanted by the original club.

One has to wonder why we didn't get Hartley in the Free Agency Period. Or was he not a FA ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
No compo for DFAs as they are considered to be players not wanted by the original club.

One has to wonder why we didn't get Hartley in the Free Agency Period. Or was he not a FA ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Don't think he's had enough years on the list to qualify as a Free Agent.

Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any other club would have delisted him but as he wants to come to us they have made it difficult for him, pretty average. Good to see Fletcher’s son not wanting to play with Bombers, a few injuries to Hurley or Hooker and they might struggle

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any other club would have delisted him but as he wants to come to us they have made it difficult for him, pretty average. Good to see Fletcher’s son not wanting to play with Bombers, a few injuries to Hurley or Hooker and they might struggle

Yeah, fist pump made it difficult . Would expect nothing less.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The rule is there so any player cant just refuse to sign or be traded and then delist themselves and become a FA.

In the case of fringe players like this who have little or no trade value but were offered a minimal contract they are usually just delisted so they can get to where the want. I believe we did this with Hartung.

While it's within the rules, it seem the Bombers are just being pricks in this case.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The rule is there so any player cant just refuse to sign or be traded and then delist themselves and become a FA.

In the case of fringe players like this who have little or no trade value but were offered a minimal contract they are usually just delisted so they can get to where the want. I believe we did this with Hartung.

While it's within the rules, it seem the Bombers are just being pricks in this case.
They delisted Brown with the idea they'd keep Hartley. Dodo refused to offer a second year. Egg on face for the fist pumper.

Platten44

All Australian
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The Saints let Newnes go as a DFA, as did Port with Gray, they could have forced them into the draft

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
They delisted Brown with the idea they'd keep Hartley. Dodo refused to offer a second year. Egg on face for the fist pumper.

Not really. One is a floating forward, the other a key back. Brown was vying with young guys like Laverde, Begley rqther than the common misconception he's battling it out with Daniher, McKErnan, Stewart.

Hartley is a key back. Nothing to do with Brown

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
In fairness to Essendon they offered him a contract, so I can see why they've tried to make it a little more difficult for us. Still think we'll get him via PSD anyways.

Back