Delisted Free Agents - who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
There are a few tempting names out there, not a deep pool but some that would offer more than our last few picks currently. Of course we now have a lot of empty list spots to play around with.

Of that list, there are a few worth a shot, possibly some as a rookie. It's a free hit that we should be very much looking into with our unique position this year.

- Sam Murray, 22, cleared to play after the ASADA investigation and then delisted by Collingwood. Showed a bit in his first season, but we do have a lot of similar players on our list.
- Harley Bennell, 27, well documented off-field and injury issues. But if we could fix both of those things, we have an undisputed talent. A rookie spot at best but I'm all for it.
- Ryan Nyhuis, 23, would be decent depth considering our lack of KPD.
- Jordan Cunico, 23, not sure why Geelong delisted him, too young? He looked decent when he played but a lot of injury issues.
- Aidyn Johnson, 21, pacy and classy player but highly inconsistent. Age on his side though.
- James Rose, 23, probably the best prospect for what we need on the list of DFAs currently. 100% get him. Local boy too.

A backup ruckman would be nice too, but there aren't a lot. Would have loved to make a play for Darcy Cameron.

Scott Jones, Fraser McInnes and Lewis Pierce lead this very poor list. Hard pass on all.

There are also the yet-to-be-contracted:

Of these, Rupert Wills and Jack Newnes should be at the very top of our list.

Sam Murray - probably not, seems like a dickhead and we're covered for rebounding defenders
Harley Bennell - absolutely 100% yes
Ryan Nyhuis - not sure we need another medium defender
Jordan Cunico - no
Aidyn Johnson - very much no
James Rose - probably only mentioned because he's from SA, no

If we want a depth KPD, I'd be looking at Jack Leslie or Kaiden Brand. Neither are good but if we want a mature body with AFL experience, wouldn't be terrible for a rookie spot. You'd think we'd go for a draftee though.

All the delisted rucks are awful. Pass.

I'd pass on Jack Newnes, not because he's bad, but because we have similar types on our list already.

The one I'd be interested in is Nick Robertson if he's delisted, he'd be an upgrade on Riley Knight or Jake Kelly, more versatile, could play defensive midfield, tagging or medium defense roles easily. We lack this sort of hard nut midfielder that can do a defensive rotation. Might not get games but he'd cost zero.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
There are a few tempting names out there, not a deep pool but some that would offer more than our last few picks currently. Of course we now have a lot of empty list spots to play around with.

Of that list, there are a few worth a shot, possibly some as a rookie. It's a free hit that we should be very much looking into with our unique position this year.

- Sam Murray, 22, cleared to play after the ASADA investigation and then delisted by Collingwood. Showed a bit in his first season, but we do have a lot of similar players on our list.
- Harley Bennell, 27, well documented off-field and injury issues. But if we could fix both of those things, we have an undisputed talent. A rookie spot at best but I'm all for it.
- Ryan Nyhuis, 23, would be decent depth considering our lack of KPD.
- Jordan Cunico, 23, not sure why Geelong delisted him, too young? He looked decent when he played but a lot of injury issues.
- Aidyn Johnson, 21, pacy and classy player but highly inconsistent. Age on his side though.
- James Rose, 23, probably the best prospect for what we need on the list of DFAs currently. 100% get him. Local boy too.

A backup ruckman would be nice too, but there aren't a lot. Would have loved to make a play for Darcy Cameron.

Scott Jones, Fraser McInnes and Lewis Pierce lead this very poor list. Hard pass on all.

There are also the yet-to-be-contracted:

Of these, Rupert Wills and Jack Newnes should be at the very top of our list.
The only one there with the required talent base is Harley Bennell but there is zero chance of us being interested and for pretty obvious reasons.

James Rose is a list need? Don't rate Ben Davis or Shane McAdam? Let's see what they've got finally?

Nyhuis is a 3rd tall defender not a KPD? Don't rate Tom Doedee, Jake Kelly or even Jordan Butts?

Wills and Newnes? Didn't we just move CEY and Greenwood on? You don't think the time's right to see what Chayce Jones, Jordan Gallucci, Neddy McHenry, Myles Poholke and Pat Wilson have got at the level?

Pass on all of them and hit the draft hard the next couple of years has to be the go.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Can we draft these guys in the rookie draft? Seems to me we'd be more inclined to take them there if they were the best of what is left, rather than guarantee a list spot now, only to find out "oh crap, we really wanted to draft this guy, but we don't have a spot now"

Legz

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can we draft these guys in the rookie draft? Seems to me we'd be more inclined to take them there if they were the best of what is left, rather than guarantee a list spot now, only to find out "oh crap, we really wanted to draft this guy, but we don't have a spot now"
I think we could also take them in the Delisted Free Agency Period, which commences after the rookie draft.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
That was the old Crows under Burton, Pyke and Campo. This is the new Crows under Nicks, ? and ?

I say we get him and make him captain.

Leopards don't change their spots.

I don't think it matters who they bring in coaching wise the fabric of the club will never change. We'll always prefer the honest triers who train the house down over gifted players with freakish ability who are troubled souls.

I wouldn't waste even a second of time on Bennell. He isn't going to make it, no matter his talent. Two clubs, 8 years is firmly at the point to say if it would have happened, it would have.

Rose I'd be somewhat interested in though, apparently has a good amount of talent but never clicked, however, he has only been at one side so it might just be an environment change.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Bennell as a rookie, maybe. Obviously the talent is there, but he needs a tight rein. If discipline and hard work as a means of personal redemption are what Bennell seeks, then he will find it in spades, within the AFC's training programs.

Everyone else, a wide pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

I don't think it matters who they bring in coaching wise the fabric of the club will never change. We'll always prefer the honest triers who train the house down over gifted players with freakish ability who are troubled souls.
Hamish is all about drafting players from a "good family".

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Is Nick Robertson an improvement on Knight? If so, I'm happy to delist Riley and give Robbo a go in a tagging role

Pass on everyone else

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Is Nick Robertson an improvement on Knight? If so, I'm happy to delist Riley and give Robbo a go in a tagging role

Pass on everyone else
Lukas Webb is a player that has always interested me right back to his Gippy Power days, bit like Poholke with us he's a genuine mid that can hit the scoreboard but whenever he's played AFL it's rarely in the midfield with the Dogs unbelievable midfield depth. Still only 23 and IMO I'd give him a rookie spot if he was interested, reckon he'd be ideal for the GCS with his strong body.

Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

I can’t like this enough
Even Eddie has admitted to troubled times essentially on the edge of the wrong path
It is so HARD for Indigenous persons in what is essentially a white mans system
They need a lot of support

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lukas Webb is a player that has always interested me right back to his Gippy Power days, bit like Poholke with us he's a genuine mid that can hit the scoreboard but whenever he's played AFL it's rarely in the midfield with the Dogs unbelievable midfield depth. Still only 23 and IMO I'd give him a rookie spot if he was interested, reckon he'd be ideal for the GCS with his strong body.
Geez he has had a terrible run , 6 months in a neck brace and then a broken fibula with syndesmosis to the ankle as well .
Has some nice penetration on that left leg , his kicks carry .

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Luke Partington?

Players retain their delisted free agency for life now.
Could be wrong, but I thought this only applied to free agents (delisted or otherwise) that actually moved from one club to another. Additionally, players delisted from senior lists and put onto rookie lists are also free agents now.

I don't think Luke qualifies as a free agent, but as I said, not really sure.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
There’s options.. I like that we have gone young but would like a bit more depth in the reserves.
Robertson, Bennell, Partington, Webb, Nyhuis, Newnes and Murray all interest me for 1 year deals. Even 1 on senior list and one on rookie list. We will have a good rookie selection this year too.

Currently have picks 4, 23, 28, 37, 45 and 49. And 6 vacant spots.
I would upgrade one rookie, pickup one senior DFA and upgrade to taking 4 18 year olds. I feel 6 is too many in one year.
Combine picks 23 and 37 for Pick 15 (GC)
Then combine picks 45 and 49 for pick 32 (Sydney).
Leave us with Picks 4, 15, 28, 32 a DFA and upgraded rookie.

Bennell and upgrade Butts for me.
Rookie Partington.

Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I would give Bennell another go
Absolutely
I just fear we don’t have the right support structure
I know I go on about this “stuff” over the years
I am amazed that McAdam hasn’t got himself into more strife than what was reported
I said to Mutineer a while
back and others
Community life is sh##t

Inner Melbourne life and family
Good College life v’s Community

Read b##dy Tippu’s life

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Could be wrong, but I thought this only applied to free agents (delisted or otherwise) that actually moved from one club to another. Additionally, players delisted from senior lists and put onto rookie lists are also free agents now.

I don't think Luke qualifies as a free agent, but as I said, not really sure.
Look, you may be right, it's a bit confusing with what you can find it easily online.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back