Delisted Free Agents - who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Were also a Club that needs to take a risk on potential elite talent, getting players to our Club is already hard enough as it is.

I think Partington would be a solid inclusion and cap off our draft period really well.

Can he be an elite talent at AFL level if his kicking needs work though?

Can he be an elite talent at AFL level if his kicking needs work though?

Thats interesting. I dont know enough about him to comment on his kicking. Is it always bad, or every now and again bad. Kicking can improve, it just depends on how bad it is.

Danger is considered elite, but you wouldnt want him haviing a set shot for goal if your life depended on it.

I had hoped we might be a chance at big Lloydy as decent Ruck depth as a DFA but alas the Dockers have signed him for a further 2 years....could be a sign 18 y.o. WA Ruckman Luke Jackson is not their prime target with their early pick in the 2019 draft as is being suggested widely in the pre-draft talk by some commentators.

Fremantle Dockers ruckman Lloyd Meek signs on for two more seasons

Would give him a go too.

Seen him out in Freo a few times.
Absolutely woeful on the piss.
Trying to fight people and couldn't walk.

Saying that, it's in his court.
Hopefully he gets his s**t together and his body holds up.

Reckon he has some good footy left.
Just don't get the Bennell love. The character issue is a completely distraction. This is the a guy who can't climb a flight of stairs without tearing a calf and missing 6 months of footy.

People on the trade board were wailing about a potential swap of Jenkins for Scharenberg because of injury risk. I get that salaries are probably different, but still.

Yes the guy seems to have significant behaviour problems, but even if he had a personality transplant, why recruit a guy onto main list where there is no evidence he'll play more than 10 games in 2 years before being cut?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, now I'm confused. How does DFA work? I was under the assumption it was only for those not offered contracts, but Newnes was offered 2 years by saints but rejected it, electing to be delisted so he could go to Carlton.

Doesn't that just make anyone out of contract an unrestricted free agent with no compensation for the losing team?

Easy way to get Luko next year.

Ok, now I'm confused. How does DFA work? I was under the assumption it was only for those not offered contracts, but Newnes was offered 2 years by saints but rejected it, electing to be delisted so he could go to Carlton.

Doesn't that just make anyone out of contract an unrestricted free agent with no compensation for the losing team?

They would have to be there for 8 years wouldn't they?

It's basically the same thing that happened between Gold Coast and Brisbane last year with Lyons, although I think that Lyons may have even been contracted. Despite offering Newnes a contract, St Kilda have obviously agreed to withdraw the contract and delist him. I assume that St Kilda have the option of refusing to delist Newnes, in which case he would have to enter the draft like Jack Martin may do. That being said, I'm not sure why St Kilda would be willing to let Newnes leave a for free as a DFA when they would obviously prefer to keep him.

I think that the AFL needs to put a stop to this type of player movement as it is clearly not the intention of the rules. It opens the door to all sorts of dodgy deals between clubs.

How did GC not show an interest in Newnes? Oh that's right, 18 year old kids will solve their on field problems.

Seriously, he'd be in their top 10 players and is only 26

How did GC not show an interest in Newnes? Oh that's right, 18 year old kids will solve their on field problems.

Seriously, he'd be in their top 10 players and is only 26
This is the thing. As a DFA he doesn't even have to consider GC as he is essentially an unrestricted but uncompensated free agent. Going into PSD it would be a risk, or at least a late pick trade or normal free agency to give something to St K.

Also DFA keep DFA status for life AFAIK, so he can move wherever whenever when out of contract.

Something just doesn't seem quite right here.

I like the 2 Brisbane Lions lads out of the DFA list. Keays and Robertson.

Think both have plenty to add to a AFL team!
Keays definitely. No room for him with Charlie. He kicked 43-19 from 16 games in the NEAFL this year... and averaged 20 possies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back