Delisted Free Agents - who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the sort of thing we’d do
Why would we when it's quite obvious we're taking a new direction with our list and Henderson would only delay that move.

Better off looking at the 21 year old tall 197cm 92kg swingman Zach Sproule who has just been delisted by the Giants, can play CHB/FB or CHF/FF.

I've been a fan of his talents right back to his Allies games at the U18 Championships and even though the Giants have said they'll pick both former Giants Academy lads Zach Sproule and Jake Stein again in the rookie draft there is nothing stopping clubs taking either player in the National Draft is there? Not sure where they sit as DFA's so over to someone more versed in the rules?

Last edited:

If he replaces Harto, then he's not filling a gap. This would be of marginal improvement, if any, considering that Henderson is a spud.
This sort of thing is exactly what we should not be doing.
Harto replacement is already at the Club, in Butts few games in 2020 and becomes the 2nd tall defender in 2021, what we need is backup and a future replacement for Talia, so we should run with youth.

If he replaces Harto, then he's not filling a gap. This would be of marginal improvement, if any, considering that Henderson is a spud.
This sort of thing is exactly what we should not be doing.
Yeah when he's not in the medical rooms getting treatment....13 senior games in the last 2 seasons with knee issues and plantar fascia foot injuries, 30 years old going into season 2020....

Just don't get the Bennell love. The character issue is a completely distraction. This is the a guy who can't climb a flight of stairs without tearing a calf and missing 6 months of footy.

People on the trade board were wailing about a potential swap of Jenkins for Scharenberg because of injury risk. I get that salaries are probably different, but still.

Yes the guy seems to have significant behaviour problems, but even if he had a personality transplant, why recruit a guy onto main list where there is no evidence he'll play more than 10 games in 2 years before being cut?

Agree with this completely. One can only run on talent and potential for so long, and I think any interested clubs will be cautious and want to see what his form is like in the WAFL. If he can stay away from doing stupid things and his body holds up, I could see him getting a chance at the mid-season rookie draft.

Robertson would still be the only one I’d target, young enough but still has some AFL experience, seems like he could have a chip on his shoulder, is a hard but and fills a role we have been lacking for a long time. If the likes of De Boer, Ben Jacobs etc reignited their careers as taggers, I don’t see why Robertson can’t

I'd have a serious look at Tom McKenzie for the rookie list if our medical team were happy with his back injury's progress. A balanced midfielder with elite pace, good decision making and very good foot skills. Always caught my eye when I watched the Northern Knights play either across half back or in their midfield. I was actually very surprised he slipped through to the rookie draft last year with his seriously top end pace especially.

Yeah when he's not in the medical rooms getting treatment....13 senior games in the last 2 seasons with knee issues and plantar fascia foot injuries, 30 years old going into season 2020....
Sounds like someone Geelong would be interested in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Hartley from Essendon?

He is 29 so that may be a deal breaker with the direction we are heading but gee, we could do a lot worse than taking keegan brooksby as a rookie. Would offer good ruck back up and be a good mentor to strachan at SANFL level. I worry if o'brien goes down we are that thin on the ground ruck wise

s**t, has he been delisted too?

He is an immediate upgrade on Kyle....
No, they delisted Mitch Brown instead.

Surprising, as they're now really short on KPFs.

He is 29 so that may be a deal breaker with the direction we are heading but gee, we could do a lot worse than taking keegan brooksby as a rookie. Would offer good ruck back up and be a good mentor to strachan at SANFL level. I worry if o'brien goes down we are that thin on the ground ruck wise

Would be fine for a year or two as a rookie.

I like Strachan, if I'm honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back