Delisted free agents - sifting through the neighbor's bins

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if he discussed this with Schoey?

Playing him at BH whilst desperately lacking a KPF doesn't hamper his development - it hampers the 1sts Team.

He played in the seniors too, as a defender. He's played as a defender since 2013. You think pulling him in as a forward would have solved all our problems up front? I doubt it.

The biggest problem I see with us picking up any of these 'unwanted' players is that they will cost one of our current players a list spot.

I'm struggling to work out who we will delist as it is, let alone if we pick more delisted free agents.

There really isn't anyone that jumps out at me and says 'let's grab him, as he will improve the starting 22', so I'm saying PASS.

He played in the seniors too, as a defender. He's played as a defender since 2013. You think pulling him in as a forward would have solved all our problems up front? I doubt it.
All our problems?

Of course not - we'd still have the issue of mids bombing long to nobody...

The advantage of Brand being forward would have been his pace & reading of the flight of the ball, giving to his ability to read the drop of the ball & contest the high-ball, as opposed to playing ill-equipped ruckmen or undersized 3rds as forwards.

I know it sounds crazy, but we would have had multiple options: kicking to a leading forward (I know it's taboo & promise I'll never mention it again) as well as going long to a tall target that could actually make the contest.

But then I'm sure his contributions to Box Hill were also important.

Not being smart here but what forward line would you start with?

We cant just get a 199cm + key forward without either trading something that none of us want to trade or have a very early pick in a draft before waiting 4 years too see if they are the answer.

And FWIW our tallest forward in 2014 and 15 would have been Rough or Shoe both of whom are not traditional key forward size.

Anyway if you are adamant that we need some back up I think a player like Brett Eddy from SA would be a lot better option then Dawes.

Eddy has arguably performed better then Podsiadly did before the cats drafted him.

I'd probably end up with the same forward structure as u/Gralin but to me it's about creating competition for spots in the forward line. Having the forward players raising the bar through this competition and O'Brian and Surman don't do this, people may be right and Dawes won't either but just from my point of view our forward line was the weakness this year. We have added Vickery but to me that was more about team balance as the days of playing two genuine ruckman are done. We have no more aces and we have no more chips, a player like Dawes who could bring competitiveness to the team for the big man up forward comes at a cost of nothing and at base wage. Pros out weight the cons IMO, if this Eddy is a better prospect sure I'm all for it I want someone for that position to add to our forward line but with our picks I'd rather go with the guarantee of picking someone up as a delisted free agent than hope a player slips to 88 or 90 in the ND or 14 or 32 in the RD.

I'd probably end up with the same forward structure as u/Gralin but to me it's about creating competition for spots in the forward line. Having the forward players raising the bar through this competition and O'Brian and Surman don't do this, people may be right and Dawes won't either but just from my point of view our forward line was the weakness this year. We have added Vickery but to me that was more about team balance as the days of playing two genuine ruckman are done. We have no more aces and we have no more chips, a player like Dawes who could bring competitiveness to the team for the big man up forward comes at a cost of nothing and at base wage. Pros out weight the cons IMO, if this Eddy is a better prospect sure I'm all for it I want someone for that position to add to our forward line but with our picks I'd rather go with the guarantee of picking someone up as a delisted free agent than hope a player slips to 88 or 90 in the ND or 14 or 32 in the RD.
Dawes is slower than Schoey and offers less in almost every way. I don't see him being an upgrade on the list he'd just take a spot from someone else.
We are more likely to be looking at depth over the next few weeks, someone like Moribito who if we could get right would be a best 22 is worth a shot but I don't see Dawes being that kind of guy

Dawes is slower than Schoey and offers less in almost every way. I don't see him being an upgrade on the list he'd just take a spot from someone else.
We are more likely to be looking at depth over the next few weeks, someone like Moribito who if we could get right would be a best 22 is worth a shot but I don't see Dawes being that kind of guy

Understandable, but what can we really add with picks 88 and 90 in the ND. I want a big body added to the forward depth, partly my fault not being more educated on the lower levels, but Dawes ticks some boxes maybe not all of the boxes but some.

I like the look of Jake Barrett. A 184cm, 80kg, soon to be 21 year old speedy endurance athlete who gets 10+ contested possessions and is cheery ripe for senior AFL football. Does anyone know about his skills... he seems quite left sided in his YouTube clips... See the Edit below
He is still listed as a GWS player but his contract, which ends this year, is yet to be renewed. A GWS supporter on Jake's thread says that GWS will offer him a contract or help him to get to his desired club. If the Hawks give him a solid offer and GWS do what is best for him then they will delist him let him choose which club he goes to on the 1st of Nov as an unrestricted free agent (no haggling, he just becomes a Hawk).

Edit: the GWS supporter says his "Skills in terms of kicking and handball I'd rate him a solid 5-6 (out of 10) Not a slight on him but he isn't silky like Burgoyne or accurate by hand like Mitchell but he has great endeavour and tackles like a machine. He will take the hits and dish out the ball to a running team mate. Game awareness is a 7-8 as he can rack up possessions like it's going out of fashion. This is due to him being at the coalface and going for first possession of the ball. He will never be a game breaker but he certainly isn't a spud."

Sounds like you have summed up Liam Shiels perfectly.

I understand what your saying but it doesn't always translate when players go back, Matty Boyd frim the dogs is a good example. I think Barlow could do it, he's looked comfortable behind the ball from what I have seen. I'd say his pace is more an issue but we dunno if he don't get played there.

It's more how loopy his kicks are, easy to get intercepted. Boyds turnovers in the midfield were more decision making, he's always been technically sound unlike Barlow.

I would have traded for Cloke before signing Daws as a DFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understandable, but what can we really add with picks 88 and 90 in the ND. I want a big body added to the forward depth, partly my fault not being more educated on the lower levels, but Dawes ticks some boxes maybe not all of the boxes but some.
We can draft Jarman or something & reward the guys on the rookie list like Stewart, Woody, Glass ( so we can get Nash) a top up with mature body's for 2017 & stash them on the rookie list

-- until I find s better thread--

Who from Box Hill could step onto the rookie list? Thinking a Sam Collins type

That is rediculous.... why ignore the fact Mitchell and O'meara have come in???

Sorry I thought the point was clear. We have hit a mini- rebuild, highlighted by moving Mitch and Lewis on. The club isn't foolish enough to then go and grab a past his prime ball winner just because they can. I think those opportunities will rightly be given to Lovell, Langford, Woodward and O'Rourke as their moving into their prime not further and further away from it...

Trade period has been and gone, give it a rest now.

What's the story on Nash? Who is he and why are we excited?
He's big, he's strong and he dishes it out like no ones business.

nash2.png~c200

Don't turn your back on the wolfpac. You might wind up in a bodybag.

All well and good to have a big body. But if you're an absolute spud it doesn't count for much.

Mitch brown could be worth a shot. If Frawley went down we'd be cooked. Gibson struggles as a key defender these days.

A backup ruck is also needed.

What's the story on Nash? Who is he and why are we excited?[/QUOT

Apparently he is a highly rated young Gaelic footballer who has also represented Ireland at rugby in junior teams. He has visited the HFC and travelled to Tassie with them last year. We could not sign him last year because he was under age.
A big strapping lad circa 195 cm and 90 kgs, he plays in the midfield in Gaelic footy and fullback in rugby.
If we list him as a category B rookie, Glass will need to be elevated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back