Delisted free agents - sifting through the neighbor's bins

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we stop wanting to bring in players because of what they once were 3-4 years ago.

Barlow = cooked
Grimes = undersized and average
M.Brown = horrible. They turned a KPF into a KPD instead of using Brown.

The rest are still on the list and if they get delisted, they aren't of a whole lot of use.
Hey slb, I agree with you. We should be showing more faith in the kids who have had 1-2 years in our system than be looking at other clubs discards.

If we list him as a category B rookie, Glass will need to be elevated.

Why would Glass need to be elevated? At this point in time we only have one Cat B rookie, we had two in Shem and Kurt for a number of years. Surely we can just sign him up if we wanted.

Why would Glass need to be elevated? At this point in time we only have one Cat B rookie, we had two in Shem and Kurt for a number of years. Surely we can just sign him up if we wanted.

Digging around about this Conor Nash I have answered my own question, teams can only have one Irishman. Quite a simple answer really.

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

Recent changes to rookie list rules had made the recruitment of Irish players more appealing, with clubs now able to count one Irish player as an international rookie, meaning the player does not take up a main rookie spot.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

Last edited:
He's a good size, genuine KPP. Good rugby player and seems like a quality fella. Skills are not good but he seems to be very coachable.

Tried looking online but couldn't find it but remember reading somewhere previously he was 196cm and 90+kgs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I thought the point was clear. We have hit a mini- rebuild, highlighted by moving Mitch and Lewis on. The club isn't foolish enough to then go and grab a past his prime ball winner just because they can. I think those opportunities will rightly be given to Lovell, Langford, Woodward and O'Rourke as their moving into their prime not further and further away from it...

Trade period has been and gone, give it a rest now.

mm i see what you're saying now.
But going by the comments i read, its more of a re-load than a re-build. To be honest, this is just me, i am not sold on Langford or O'Rourke and i still think we have a list that can really make some noise. I just feel like barlow actually isnt past his prime, i saw him play some really good football last year, and i have no doubt people will disagree with me, but at this stage i would pick him over Langford and O'Rourke. Just my opinion. I am all for Woodward and Lovell getting a red hot chance, even if he comes in and doesn't work out, at worst he provides a bit more depth. Surely if people are saying Adelaide should take him for the midfield, a team that is seen to be challenging now, he can't be a bad recruit at all or they wouldn't be suggesting that.

Tried looking online but couldn't find it but remember reading somewhere previously he was 196cm and 90+kgs.

This all i could find, hope this helps:

Nash on Hawthorn's radar
24 August 2015
5T9vvvD2191.jpg

Meath midfielder Conor Nash
Meath minor midfielder Conor Nash is being monitored by AFL champions Hawthorn.
According to the AFL website, the Hawks are pursuing the promising Simonstown youngster who is also a talented rugby player.

The St Pat's student, who was selected at full-back in Ireland's under-18 club rugby team back in February, recently spent some time 'Down Under' with the back-to-back premier champions but, having only recently turned 17, it is understood that he is not yet old enough to sign with an AFL club.

There's also this:

Hawks touch down to inspire students
19 Feb 2016, 10:03 p.m.
r0_0_847_565_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

19-2-2016 photo Scott GelstonHawthorn Hawks visit Evandale PrimaryHawks Kade Stewart, Bradley Hill, Tim O'Brien, Connor Nash and Luke Hodge speak to students

The Hawks are no strangers to scouring the international talent pool.

r0_0_847_565_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

19-2-2016 photo Scott GelstonHawthorn Hawks visit Evandale PrimaryStudents Jonathan Barwick and Dylan Alderson handball to Hawk Connor Nash.
He's a big unit, if you take in to consideration that those two school kids are about 6 feet tall, as ive heard there is something in the water and they breed them big in Tasmania:p:D

Last edited:
I'd seriously look at Seb Tape if his body is alright. I guess we're more hoping that GWS give Barrett an opportunity to look elsewhere, if so we're as good a chance as any for him to get that.

Josh Green wanted $500,000 p.a. with the Lions. Hahaha - he should move into stand-up now that he has been delisted. He's quite the joker!
Honestly that doesn't seem very accurate at all unless he has been told by another club that he is a chance to earn that much there.

Honestly that doesn't seem very accurate at all unless he has been told by another club that he is a chance to earn that much there.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ture-from-brisbane-lions-20161025-gs9uw7.html

Only quoting what I read in The Age. It says "The out-of-contract 24-year-old, who has 107 career goals to his credit, had demanded more than $500,000 per year as contract negotiations stalled during the season" - note that there are no weasel words like 'it is believed he had demanded", it is quite definitive.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ture-from-brisbane-lions-20161025-gs9uw7.html

Only quoting what I read in The Age. It says "The out-of-contract 24-year-old, who has 107 career goals to his credit, had demanded more than $500,000 per year as contract negotiations stalled during the season" - note that there are no weasel words like 'it is believed he had demanded", it is quite definitive.
Was there leading goalkicker at one point and probably seen some of the outrageous contracts that the Lions have given out, probably deserves it.

Yea not having a dig at you, was meaning the article. Still just seems weird to me. Someone wouldn't put their AFL career on the line for 500k when they were more than likely earning 300k already without some sort of backup plan, like having another club lined up already willing to pay that.

I think its just a media beat up tbh.

Yea not having a dig at you, was meaning the article. Still just seems weird to me. Someone wouldn't put their AFL career on the line for 500k when they were more than likely earning 300k already without some sort of backup plan, like having another club lined up already willing to pay that.

I think its just a media beat up tbh.

Most likely. Would be crazy if he was asking that sort of money really - I know that contracts are getting larger due to salary cap increases etc - and we have Ty Vickery on $500,000 a year. However, Vickery is more deserving of that money than Green, and that was a tactical contract to help us get him. If someone pays him that kind of money - good luck to them!

Most likely. Would be crazy if he was asking that sort of money really - I know that contracts are getting larger due to salary cap increases etc - and we have Ty Vickery on $500,000 a year. However, Vickery is more deserving of that money than Green, and that was a tactical contract to help us get him. If someone pays him that kind of money - good luck to them!

He may have had some interest where he is now$-wise (or even less if he really wants to move), just not in Brisbane. He reckons he won't be in a trade so he asks for big money, gets delisted and knows he'll end up somewhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back