DFA dates

Wednesday November 1 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins
Wednesday November 8 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes

Friday November 10 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins
Friday November 17, 5pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Saturday November 25 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins
Sunday November 26, 2pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes

Wednesday November 29, 2pm - Final AFL club list lodgement

With the mass cleanout and the poor draft hand we hold this year, I'd expect that the club will look at a delisted free agent or two. A few who may be of interest:

Troy Menzel: A few on here seem to think he's worth looking at. Considering we apparently weren't interested in taking his far superior brother, I don't think we'd be interested in Troy either. Doesn't have the workrate or defensive pressure that Ken requires.

Liam Sumner:
Pick 9 a few years back for the Giants. He has some talent and looks all class when he has the ball in his hand but just hasn't shown any ability to get it anywhere near enough.

Henry Schade: Ended up at Collingwood as they were after KPD depth last off-season. Played a few games this season, played some good football (including keeping Buddy goalless in Round 3) but also played some shockers. Not a terrible option, but personally I'd prefer ...

Sam Collins: Somewhat of a surprise delisting. Showed a bit in 2016 when called up to AFL level, and despite losing his place this year with the Dockers adding Hamling and regaining Johnson from injury he still played some very good football in the WAFL. Arguably the best experienced and available KPD out there.

Zac Clarke: Bit like Lobbe in a way, played one pretty good season back in 2013, then it all went to s**t after he lost the #1 ruck role. Has had knee problems too. Probably has a higher ceiling than any other available DFA ruck, but there's no good picking him up as ruck depth if we can't rely on him being fit and ready to play when we need him.

Keegan Brooksby:
Tall depth who can play a few positions. But he plays them all badly. I'm not keen, but I wouldn't be overly shocked if we have a look at him.

Ben Kennedy: SA boy drafted at pick 19 a few years ago, has been tearing up the VFL all year but struggled for opportunities in a Melbourne forward line with a lot of options. I wouldn't mind if we had a look at him, but he has failed at two clubs already, so I wouldn't be expecting him to offer anything more than reasonable depth. I'd still feel more comfortable with Kennedy in the side than someone like Aidyn Johnson though.

Jake Spencer: Much better option than Brooksby if we're looking for a back up ruck IMO. Looks and moves like a plodder but statistically has actually played some quite decent football when tasked with the #1 ruck role at the Demons due to Gawn's various injuries. I'd be happy for us to have a look at him, as long as he's OK with playing the #3 role behind Frampton.

Jack Trengove: Former #2 draft pick who's had his career wrecked by injuries. Wouldn't be interested unless he got through a medical with flying colours, and I don't think he would.

Lachie Hansen: Experienced KPD who played 150+ games for the Roos. I wasn't interested before we lost Austin, but now that we have, I'd have him up there with Collins as a good option as a DFA. One thing in his favour is that he plays the intercept marking help defence type game that Hinkley and Bassett seem to favour over pure stoppers.

Aaron Mullett: Famous among Port fans for Cameron Ling rating him above Ollie Wines in the 2013 Rising Star voting. One of the better players on the DFA pile, but half back is the one position that we haven't cleared out over trade week. I'd rather we avoid him, I don't think we have a role for him at Port. May as well just keep Toump.

Todd Elton: lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than possibly having a few cameos in final series how many DFA's actually go on to have meaningful careers upon their resurrections at other clubs?

With the mass cleanout and the poor draft hand we hold this year, I'd expect that the club will look at a delisted free agent or two. A few who may be of interest:

Troy Menzel: A few on here seem to think he's worth looking at. Considering we apparently weren't interested in taking his far superior brother, I don't think we'd be interested in Troy either. Doesn't have the workrate or defensive pressure that Ken requires.

Liam Sumner:
Pick 9 a few years back for the Giants. He has some talent and looks all class when he has the ball in his hand but just hasn't shown any ability to get it anywhere near enough.

Henry Schade: Ended up at Collingwood as they were after KPD depth last off-season. Played a few games this season, played some good football (including keeping Buddy goalless in Round 3) but also played some shockers. Not a terrible option, but personally I'd prefer ...

Sam Collins: Somewhat of a surprise delisting. Showed a bit in 2016 when called up to AFL level, and despite losing his place this year with the Dockers adding Hamling and regaining Johnson from injury he still played some very good football in the WAFL. Arguably the best experienced and available KPD out there.

Keegan Brooksby: Tall depth who can play a few positions. But he plays them all badly. I'm not keen, but I wouldn't be overly shocked if we have a look at him.

Ben Kennedy: SA boy drafted at pick 19 a few years ago, has been tearing up the VFL all year but struggled for opportunities in a Melbourne forward line with a lot of options. I wouldn't mind if we had a look at him, but he has failed at two clubs already, so I wouldn't be expecting him to offer anything more than reasonable depth. I'd still feel more comfortable with Kennedy in the side than someone like Aidyn Johnson though.

Jake Spencer: Much better option than Brooksby if we're looking for a back up ruck IMO. Looks and moves like a plodder but statistically has actually played some quite decent football when tasked with the #1 ruck role at the Demons due to Gawn's various injuries. I'd be happy for us to have a look at him, as long as he's OK with playing the #3 role behind Frampton.

Jack Trengove: Former #2 draft pick who's had his career wrecked by injuries. Wouldn't be interested unless he got through a medical with flying colours, and I don't think he would.

Lachie Hansen: Experienced KPD who played 150+ games for the Roos. I wasn't interested before we lost Austin, but now that we have, I'd have him up there with Collins as a good option as a DFA. One thing in his favour is that he plays the intercept marking help defence type game that Hinkley and Bassett seem to favour over pure stoppers.

Aaron Mullett: Famous among Port fans for Cameron Ling rating him above Ollie Wines in the 2013 Rising Star voting. One of the better players on the DFA pile, but half back is the one position that we haven't cleared out over trade week. I'd rather we avoid him, I don't think we have a role for him at Port. May as well just keep Toump.

Todd Elton: lol

Only one on this list: Sam Collins MAYBE>>>

Sam Collins would be the only one i'd be keen to take on as a DFA. Spencer and maybe Kennedy as rookie list spots, as I doubt there will be any real value in the rookie draft this year. That would be it.

Any mature aged state league players to pick up via DFA/rookie draft that stands out?

Banfield, Ryan and Barry would be the main three to look at. Maybe Mitch Grigg....maybe.

Sam Collins had a reasonable year in the WAFL - 194cm: http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/118382/Sam-COLLINS

Ben Kennedy - rover with high possessions: http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117240/Ben-KENNEDY

Jack Trengove - half back/midfield - similar to Toumpas: http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/113555/Jack-TRENGOVE

Brooksby - 197cm - capable of SANFL ruck and also key defender/forward: http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/115754/Keegan-BROOKSBY

Sam Collins would be the only one i'd be keen to take on as a DFA. Spencer and maybe Kennedy as rookie list spots, as I doubt there will be any real value in the rookie draft this year. That would be it.

I'd go Hansen over Collins personally. Not necessarily a better player, but I think he's a better fit. Not sure Collins would fit into our zone defence the way that Hansen does. Also Hansen has the ability to play as a KPF if we're utterly desperate.

If it was up to me I'd DFA Hansen, maybe DFA Kennedy who I think would be a better option than keeping White, maybe grab Spencer or Clarke (if he passes a medical) in the rookie draft. Maybe have a look at Anthony Miles if he gets cut, although I’d like to think Joe Atley could perform to a similar level to Miles next year if called on.

Last edited:
Hansen & Zac Clarke would be the only ones on that list I'd look at.

We a young key back to develop under our current crop, but if the draft is that bad, a quick year out of Hansen would be alright.

I think selecting a ruck is tricky too, we don't really want to stunt the growth of Frampton and Ladhams, but at the same time they are probably just that little bit away from the level we want them to be as true backups, so possibly a player like Clarke who could play forward at SANFL level could be alright.

Other than a KPD we clearly need a KP Forward, or to keep Eddy. Then after that it's smalls to replace next years delistee crop of Toump, Palmer & White, so I'm happy to go to the draft for that. Minimising our draft picks would probably be good though.

I'd go Collins. Apart from that, let's see who else gets cut now that the trade period is done. I'd pick up Miles as mentioned by Schulzenfest above, if he gets delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd go Hansen over Collins personally. Not necessarily a better player, but I think he's a better fit. Not sure Collins would fit into our zone defence the way that Hansen does.

If it was up to me I'd DFA Hansen, delist White and DFA Kennedy, maybe grab Spencer or Clarke (if he passes a medical) in the rookie draft. Maybe have a look at Anthony Miles if he gets cut.

Yes on all accounts

I'm not sure we need Collins or Hansen, there are some good young key defenders in this years draft.

A back up ruck would be my preference but none of those excite me.

Now trade period is over the ranks of delisted players will swell.
Especially by 31st October first delistings. I reckon we will wait a week before we announce any delistings. We might not make any delistings until later in November.

Still out of contract:

Brisbane Lions
Claye Beams, Michael Close, Cian Hanley

Carlton
Blaine Boekhorst, Dylan Buckley, Nick Graham, Simon White

Collingwood
Ben Sinclair

Essendon
Ben Howlett, Jackson Merrett, Josh Green

Fremantle
Nick Suban

Geelong
Ryan Gardner

Gold Coast
Trent McKenzie

Hawthorn
Kade Stewart, Kurt Heatherley, Jono O'Rourke, Billy Hartung,

Richmond
Jake Batchelor, Nathan Drummond, Ben Lennon

Sydney
Alex Johnson

West Coast
Tom Lamb, Sharrod Wellingham

I reckon Lamb, Close and Stewart are worth considering if they're delisted

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-19/left-in-limbo-the-big-names-who-werent-traded

With everything that’s happened what does our depth chart look like.

Can’t be pretty.
How so? Our depth now goes to the 19-23 year olds instead of the 23-26 year olds who were treading water just as depth.

It is how it goes. The young guys step up or step out. The Port Adelaide way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back