List Mgmt. Delisting and drafting is almost as fun as trading: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazing, I just watched WC win the midfield battle against arguably the best midfield in the comp, at the MCG and for the biggest prize in football....Yet I still feel the need to strengthen the midfield. Is there something wrong with me?*

*Rhetorical question
When you look at our squad the midfield depth is pretty poor. Most of the younger players are late speculative picks who might not play much AFL. I hope we draft midfielders with our first couple of picks this year

Well early 2nd rounders is where you can expect to pick up decent flankers. First round is normally the gun mids, kp forwards and defenders. You need to be outstanding as a flanker to go early.

So a mid and a half back is well and truely on the cards with our first picks.

O'Halloran can play half back ''/ mid.:thumbsu:
I like O'halleran too . Was thinking maybe we could trade our pick 20 for two later 2nds .
Maybe bulldogs 27 + 45 for 20

Pick 22- O'halleran - genuine mid with pace and leadership qualities
Pick 27- Kennerley- outside mid / HBF with a massive tank
Pick 45 -pickett - HBF/mid mature ager who can slot straight in
Pick72 - cameron - project small pressure forward
Pick 76 - clarke - back up ruck

It amazing, I just watched WC win the midfield battle against arguably the best midfield in the comp, at the MCG and for the biggest prize in football....Yet I still feel the need to strengthen the midfield. Is there something wrong with me?*

*Rhetorical question
I think we all need to acknowledge how well redden played as our inside mid this year . Not only did he win a lot of ball for us he also nullified one of the oppositions best mids at the stoppages .

*Rhetorical question
Hutch is the great equaliser

I like O'halleran too . Was thinking maybe we could trade our pick 20 for two later 2nds .
Maybe bulldogs 27 + 45 for 20

Pick 22- O'halleran - genuine mid with pace and leadership qualities
Pick 27- Kennerley- outside mid / HBF with a massive tank
Pick 45 -pickett - HBF/mid mature ager who can slot straight in
Pick72 - cameron - project small pressure forward
Pick 76 - clarke - back up ruck

I think we need to keep and use 20, can look at trading 22. Just for the 'must take x number of 1st rounders over 4 years rule' (I think x=2 but may be wrong) - so taking a 1st rounder this yr gives us more flexibility.

So what's our current situation?

Main list:

IN: Hickey, Pick 20, 22, 61, 72
OUT: Mackenzie, LeCras, Lycett, Karpany, Partington

???

Situation is 7 picks over the two drafts:

3-5 in the main draft (article today on afl site saying we will take 3 or 4)

2-4 in the rookie draft

Thoughts on Ian Hill at 20?
To play what role?

Can't see Hill playing midfield at AFL level.

And if we're selecting him to fill a need in a stacked forward line, it's a waste considering Cameron would play a similar role and is likely going to much cheaper.

To play what role?

I don't see a place for him in this team personally, magnified further by the fact we'll likely be getting Cameron for much cheaper in the later rounds.

Can't see Hill playing midfield at AFL level.

I agree. Just seems like a player expected to go higher than our first, that no one here wants. Let’s pick up some mids at 20 and 22.

Thoughts on Ian Hill at 20?
He is talented but with Cripps Ryan Rioli and Venables already plus a discounted Cameron - we are full with half forwards. That said, I’d be ok if we took him at 20 but we would have to go pure mid at 22.

In the games I saw him play in 2017, things happen with Hill when he has the ball. His 2018 was less impressive so would be interested in understanding why!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurn was a backman. Selected at back pocket in the 2005 U18 All Australian Team.
Sheppard was a backman. Likewise selected at back pocket in the 2009 U18 All Australian Team.
Duggan, Nelson and Cole were primarily backmen pre-draft. They did spend some time in the midfield but were described as backmen during the draft process. If you don't believe me, look at their draft articles. In terms of what they were drafted as, that's speculative.
Butler and Jetta I'll grant you, but both made that transition well into their careers to remain relevant.

This is exactly my point - if you select players that will either live or die in the midfield and nowhere else, don't be surprised if they become deadwood without opportunity. Guys who only play midfield and whose primary selling point is their ability to win the ball. Players like Stevens and Swift in the past, Ainsworth and Brayshaw now and maybe Valente in this draft.

However, if you select players that have experience playing in another position or the traits to be effective there, they can become useful contributors even if they don't become the midfielder that you want. Sheppard and Duggan are great examples of that.

Yes, however all of them were touted as mids. Hurn was constantly compared to Hodge. Well, wer'e kinda on the same page, but how many juniors are midfield only? Simmo has previously stressed versatility, but that has given way to roles. I would never have thought Rioli and Cripps would play major minutes up the ground, nor that Duggan wouldn't spend much time in the middle.

If there is one thing you can take to the bank its that in any given draft, we have an eye on at least one half back flanker.

Our club loves half back flankers

That’s because we look at recruiting quality people and everyone knows that backs are better people than ball hungry mids and show pony forwards...

He is talented but with Cripps Ryan Rioli and Venables already plus a discounted Cameron - we are full with half forwards. That said, I’d be ok if we took him at 20 but we would have to go pure mid at 22.

In the games I saw him play in 2017, things happen with Hill when he has the ball. His 2018 was less impressive so would be interested in understanding why!
Jack Darling syndrome? Ready to get into the AFL environment. Or could be Clem Smith syndrome where the physical advantages get caught up to... advantage for Hill is that he has very good disposal and vision. I'd back our development coaches and arrogant environment to get him back on track. Given his tackling, run and kicking I wouldn't mind seeing him as a back pocket either.

So, lobb sees himself as a forward ruck and finds ruck contests as a bit too rough for him.

Let’s see how this pans out but clearly he is more worried about himself than what’s best for the team. He just wants to be a forward by sounds of it.

Jack Darling syndrome? Ready to get into the AFL environment. Or could be Clem Smith syndrome where the physical advantages get caught up to... advantage for Hill is that he has very good disposal and vision. I'd back our development coaches and arrogant environment to get him back on track. Given his tackling, run and kicking I wouldn't mind seeing him as a back pocket either.
He was a skinny little runt last year and still is so no physical advantage

So, lobb sees himself as a forward ruck and finds ruck contests as a bit too rough for him.

Let’s see how this pans out but clearly he is more worried about himself than what’s best for the team. He just wants to be a forward by sounds of it.

Freo needs a KPF. Lobb is 200+cm and wants to play KPF. Darcy looks like he is going to be a beauty in the ruck.

Lobb at FF is what's best for Freo. I reckon Lobb will be more than happy to chop Darcy out in the ruck for 5-7 mins a quarter.

Lobb, Tabs, McCarthy as a conventional tall setup. When Lobb goes into the ruck Freo can play small ball pushing Sonny forward or move Fyfe up forward. Their forward structure is going to be a lot better.

I think Freo are going to look a lot better in 2019 but that the horrible kicking of the bulk of their mids will let them down at crucial times. They will be hard to get over at Optus though which may well help us if Freo can knock a few top end sides off at home.

Freo needs a KPF. Lobb is 200+cm and wants to play KPF. Darcy looks like he is going to be a beauty in the ruck.

Lobb at FF is what's best for Freo. I reckon Lobb will be more than happy to chop Darcy out in the ruck for 5-7 mins a quarter.

Lobb, Tabs, McCarthy as a conventional tall setup. When Lobb goes into the ruck Freo can play small ball pushing Sonny forward or move Fyfe up forward. Their forward structure is going to be a lot better.

I think Freo are going to look a lot better in 2019 but that the horrible kicking of the bulk of their mids will let them down at crucial times. They will be hard to get over at Optus though which may well help us if Freo can knock a few top end sides off at home.
Hogan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back