List Mgmt. Delisting and drafting is almost as fun as trading: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So with Hickey, Vardy, Olango and McInnes do we pick up Clarke in the draft?

With a midseason draft next year I think we can go the first half of the year with these guys, if we need a ruck midway through we can look at one then.

Just on the Kelly thing again.

I know there are those of you that aren't overly keen on giving up 20 & 22 or 22 & next year's first, but I look at it slightly differently. Yes trades need to be evaluated in isolation to determine the fairness of said trades, but if we consider the Gold Coast trade of last year, this is how it plays out (assuming it's 20 & 22):

Gain

Oscar Allen
Liam Ryan
Jack Pettrucelle
Tim Kelly

Lose

2017 – Pick 50
2018 – First Rounder (Currently Pick 19)
Scott Lycett

We traded the two picks above for the 3 x 2nd rounders from last year plus the 2nd rounder this year. We then could combine the Lycett compo with the 2nd rounder this year and turn it into Kelly.

I get that some think 2 picks is overpaying for Kelly, but if someone had said to you prior to all of the above happening that we could turn a future 1st, current year's 50th pick and Lycett leaving in Free Agency into Oscar Allen, Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan and Jack Pettrucelle most of us would have fallen over ourselves to take that deal.

To me that is still bloody impressive, all things considered.

I really hope we can keep one if not both of 20 and 22.

If 20+22 for Kelly, we don't enter the draft until pick 60. :eek:

I guess with so much youth on our list from our last couple of drafts yet to establish themselves (Petch, OAllen, MAllen, Brander, Ainsworth, Brayshaw), the club is comfortable with this approach.

Why are we and Saints swapping 4th rounders next year?
Does this cancel any further Future pick trading next year?
That’s a good point.. I don’t think it cancels out all future trading (2nds, 3rds) but the trade rules say if you trade a future first you can’t trade any other futures. We’ve done it backwards, so does that mean that now we’ve traded a future 2/3/4 that we now can’t trade the first?

Could be backing Geelong into a corner here. Sydney’s pick gone. North’s pick gone. Our future first potentially off the table. They might have to settle for pick 20 (+22?) or risk having Kelly and his family stay in what is becoming an increasingly hostile environment..

Article about Bines posted on the AFL website:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-10/basketballer-turned-down-three-clubs-to-join-eagles

However, despite training with Hawthorn, touring Essendon and talking to North Melbourne, Bines will move across the country to become an Eagle in a game he hasn't played since he became a teenager.

"I prefer to go interstate as a personal preference, for a brand-new start and it's a really good lifestyle over there from what I've seen," Bines told NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"I've got some really good people to learn from at West Coast.

"They've got a really good list there and there's some really good players I can learn from, so I'm just going to do the best I can and do all the extras."

Bigger than the other kids when he played for East Brighton under 13s, Bines was the obvious choice to fill the ruck role while also training as the team's full-back.

Since coming onto the Eagles' radar, the 198cm prospect has focused on developing the skills required to play in key forward spots.

"I'm fairly agile on the court so I think I've just got to work on my 20m sprint and being able to lead up to the ball and take a good mark.

"I'm just going to go into pre-season like I'm going to play round one."

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless the swaps are heavily in our favour , we paid overs for Hickey . The saints will probably use 39 to get Hannebery to St Kilda , and Hannebery > Hickey

turkey.hanners.jpg

Plus we need a Ruck way more than an old cooked ex-midfielder.

Honestly comparing Lycett and Hickey:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=14&type=A&pid1=3620&pid2=3474&fid1=S&fid2=S

It's pretty damn close.

When you consider one was playing for the premier and one for a bottom 4 side I reckon maybe even a slight upgrade.

But one was playing solo ruck and the other was backup ruck for half a season until NicNat went down.

Think it's a downgrade but only a slight one, more than made up for by the improved draft position and salary cap relief.

Wonder if GC would be interested in:
Pick 20, 60 and future 3rd rounder for Pick 24, 29 and 58

Gives suns 4 picks in top 20 (potentially 5 if May exits) and gives them more leverage in 2019.

Trade Parto and 71 to port for 48.

Leaves us with 22, 24, 29, 48 and 58.
Not bad but I would prefer to keep 20 as early position in this draft is key to pick up our main target.

Do we have enough late picks to match for Cameron? Only got about 220 pts to match which is the equivalent of pick 54 (includes 20% discount). I know you can use next years, but not ideal.

But one was playing solo ruck and the other was backup ruck for half a season until NicNat went down.

Think it's a downgrade but only a slight one, more than made up for by the improved draft position and salary cap relief.

True but I think with the better team around that will make more of a difference then 8% less time on ground.

How about a three-way trade?

Picks 20 and 22 to Geelong for picks 12 and 50.

Pick 12 to Geelong for Kelly.

Now I realise that's not actually a three-way deal but when you break it down like that it looks pretty good to Geelong, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back