• Yes.

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • No.

Votes: 82 56.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of the Marcus Harris situation..........

Is it because the coach is incapable, or is the improvement triggered by a change of scenery coinciding with a maturity in the player's attitude and application?

Langer is a lot like Scott.

Says the right things but it is not translated into performances at all.

Harris more than likely is just on a fluke purple patch though tbh and will revert to his mean quite quickly.

Is it because the coach is incapable, or is the improvement triggered by a change of scenery coinciding with a maturity in the player's attitude and application?
Caddy isn't really any better, just more consistent.
That does come with a bit of maturity and application.
If he stayed, I dare say he would be performing at a similar level.

Caddy isn't really any better, just more consistent.
That does come with a bit of maturity and application.
If he stayed, I dare say he would be performing at a similar level.

I think you're correct with this general summation. Caddy's been very handy for the Tiges, no doubt.

But mostly he's simply fully embraced the role they've given him (one he wasn't satisfied with at the Cats). And he's also been assisted by operating in a system of play that appeared to have the entire competition in its thrall for the best part of a season and a half.

Will be interesting to see where he goes from here if the Tigers really have come back to the field.

I think you're correct with this general summation. Caddy's been very handy for the Tiges, no doubt.

But mostly he's simply fully embraced the role they've given him (one he wasn't satisfied with at the Cats). And he's also been assisted by operating in a system of play that appeared to have the entire competition in its thrall for the best part of a season and a half.

Will be interesting to see where he goes from here if the Tigers really have come back to the field.
He had some good performances in tough games (Adelaide/NM) in the first half of the season, but looked every bit the flat track bully in the second half.

I reckon he will return to Cats numbers next year. Still inconsistent, very good at times but almost non existent at others.

He had some good performances in tough games (Adelaide/NM) in the first half of the season, but looked every bit the flat track bully in the second half.

I reckon he will return to Cats numbers next year. Still inconsistent, very good at times but almost non existent at others.
quite a few years ago I thought that he would be the next captain after Selwood. But I think that the description of "flat track bully" is correct - built like Tarzan, plays like Jane" when the kitchen is hot (to mix up a few metaphors ...)

quite a few years ago I thought that he would be the next captain after Selwood. But I think that the description of "flat track bully" is correct - built like Tarzan, plays like Jane" when the kitchen is hot (to mix up a few metaphors ...)
He has the physical goods.
But there's something about him.
I never really warmed to him at the Cats, and sometimes he comes across as bit of twat.
He's still capable of being a really good player though.

Could be any combination of the above. But it's a bit of a stretch to claim it was all his ego that was the issue (which of course, was never ever claimed while he was at Geelong).

We didn't finish 8th this year.

I thought that was exactly where we finished. After both the H&A and the finals series.

We didn't improve, we got worse. Much worse.

I don't see that the stats support the magnitude of your purported catastrophic decline.

We had a winning percentage of 66% in 2017 (16.5 wins from 25 games), compared to 57% in 2018. (13 from 23).

That's a 14% decline in winning output (which I'd suggest is significant without being a yawning chasm).

Our average points for was 94 in '17, compared to 91 in '18.

Negligible difference there.

And our average points against was 83 in '17, compared to 71 in '18.

Over 10% improvement there.

Which meant our percentage was 117% in '17, compared to 131% in '18.

We clearly didn't have a great year. But to suggest that it was 'much worse' than 2017 doesn't look to be backed by the raw figures for mine.

Still, if the doomsayers are correct, we should be looking at a 2019 season that does start to approximate the 'much worse' you speak of here.

Dangerfield, J. Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Kelly, Ablett.

You know, the ones he built from the ground up.
Blicavs, Henry, Bews, Kolo, Parfitt, Duncan, Tuohy, Stewart, Menegola, Kelly... been a few, not including Danger producing his best 2 seasons ever

Blicavs, Henry, Bews, Kolo, Parfitt, Duncan, Tuohy, Stewart, Menegola, Kelly... been a few, not including Danger producing his best 2 seasons ever

The Q9 made the AA team again in '13, after first featuring there under Bomber in 2010.

And I think Menegola becoming a regular senior player (after being delisted without playing a senior game twice previously) is another example of a player making a decent fist of things under Scott's direction.

Very few early draft picks of any great note in this combined list either.*

Several rookie-listed players in the group, for a start. And, Taylor aside, all players taken outside the top 20.

* Excluding Danger, who was already a quality contributor before demonstrably taking it up a notch when he came home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many have actually thrived though?

We didn't finish 8th this year. We didn't improve, we got worse. Much worse.

You need to join Collingwood. Seriously, Woods were out of finals last year and made gf this year. Meanwhile on earth Geelong has missed finals how many times last ten years/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dont introduce reality into the discussion.... it dilutes the gloom!

Sure there are things that can be done better but to accept that one must also accept that players have improved too.

GO Catters

I'd trade in a series of finals blunders to be a kick away from a premiership.

Oh really??? Pardon my scepticism....

Seems to me it would simply be fertile ground for you to lay blame....the coach...the MC..or some poor bastard that made a clanger at some inconsequential time....

Anyway...back to Murdoch and Menzel ....

i wonder if there's more to say about this......if either make news, there's the "non-Geelong" thread to express glee or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back