Delistings - predictions 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Current OOC according to AFL.com.au:

Joel Amartey, Zac Foot, Robbie Fox, Michael Knoll, Matthew Ling, Jack Maibaum, Hayden McLean, Lewis Melican, Harry Reynolds, Ben Ronke, Brady Rowles, Ryley Stoddart, Jackson Thurlow, Sam Wicks

Out of those, I think Amartey, Knoll, Maibaum, Reynolds, Ronke and Stoddart are all delists. Foot is 50/50, I'd consider another year but I don't think he's improving enough. Fox should be kept. Ling I'd keep if only because we've invested a lot of time into him already and probably deserves another year before writing him off. McLean and Melican should be kept. Rowles I'd keep if only because I don't think one year is enough to prove one way or another that they won't make it unless they look really bad at the next level down. Thurlow I think I'd keep but his age and lack of form before this year might count against him. Wicks should be kept.

Assuming we delist 6 that means 4 list vacancies (if a 42 man list is accurate). Given we need to upgrade Wicks as well that leaves 3 spots which should be filled by our first draft pick + Campbell/Gulden. If we want to bring other people in though we need to delist a couple more, Thurlow, Rowles and Foot perhaps the most in danger?

Then o/c there's Taylor, who I'd lean towards sacking as things stand and Naismith, who I'd think about encouraging to retire + paying out his contract given his injury issues.

Current OOC according to AFL.com.au:

Joel Amartey, Zac Foot, Robbie Fox, Michael Knoll, Matthew Ling, Jack Maibaum, Hayden McLean, Lewis Melican, Harry Reynolds, Ben Ronke, Brady Rowles, Ryley Stoddart, Jackson Thurlow, Sam Wicks

Out of those, I think Amartey, Knoll, Maibaum, Reynolds, Ronke and Stoddart are all delists. Foot is 50/50, I'd consider another year but I don't think he's improving enough. Fox should be kept. Ling I'd keep if only because we've invested a lot of time into him already and probably deserves another year before writing him off. McLean and Melican should be kept. Rowles I'd keep if only because I don't think one year is enough to prove one way or another that they won't make it unless they look really bad at the next level down. Thurlow I think I'd keep but his age and lack of form before this year might count against him. Wicks should be kept.

Assuming we delist 6 that means 4 list vacancies (if a 42 man list is accurate). Given we need to upgrade Wicks as well that leaves 3 spots which should be filled by our first draft pick + Campbell/Gulden. If we want to bring other people in though we need to delist a couple more, Thurlow, Rowles and Foot perhaps the most in danger?

Then o/c there's Taylor, who I'd lean towards sacking as things stand and Naismith, who I'd think about encouraging to retire + paying out his contract given his injury issues.

You’ve only delisted 2 senior players (Ronke and Stoddart), you will need a third minimum assuming senior list spots stay at 38 (or get reduced to 38 as the current max is 40 and we have 38 now). The rest are rookies.

So at the very least one of Taylor (E), Thurlow, Foot will need to go to give us the space for the minimum 3 selections we must make.

Wicks can be promoted to a Cat A rookie giving us another B spot if we want.

You’ve only delisted 2 senior players (Ronke and Stoddart), you will need a third minimum assuming senior list spots stay at 38 (or get reduced to 38 as the current max is 40 and we have 38 now). The rest are rookies.

So at the very least one of Taylor (E), Thurlow, Foot will need to go to give us the space for the minimum 3 selections we must make.

Wicks can be promoted to a Cat A rookie giving us another B spot if we want.
Ah, oops.

Though usually you can buy out a contract and place them on a rookie list anyway to make up extra spots?

Ah, oops.

Though usually you can buy out a contract and place them on a rookie list anyway to make up extra spots?

Not sure how that works. Naismith could be a candidate for that if we could.

Others could be traded too, I’d be open to trading COR and keeping Thurlow instead.

Ronke
McLean
L. Taylor contract? Trade for late 3rd
Gray contract? Trade for late 3rd
Thurlow
E.Taylor
Horse

can all go

Clarke wasn’t the worst and is a depth player at best once we’re all fit and healthy so I’d keep him around

Last edited:
Personally I am ok with Bell getting another year. Think he will progress. I think from vision in the rooms after games he is often seen in conversation with Parker and other senior leaders.

Who is to say? I suspect players like Bell and Sinkers are background leaders and beloved by the team.

Personally I am ok with Bell getting another year. Think he will progress. I think from vision in the rooms after games he is often seen in conversation with Parker and other senior leaders.

Who is to say? I suspect players like Bell and Sinkers are background leaders and beloved by the team.

The only thing is these list cloggers we are giving up multi year deals, I'm not sure the point of that really.

The term “list clogger” may have applicational some, but not to Sinclair and Bell.
These sorts of throwaway insults just demonstrate your ignorance.

Sinclair was fine (We needed a ruck) the others like your Foote deals are weird, not much need for anything more than 1 year deals.

Sinclair was fine (We needed a ruck) the others like your Foote deals are weird, not much need for anything more than 1 year deals.
Right but you said Sinclair and Bell.
Every club has players that don’t come on as hoped.
Sinclair has given good service in tough circumstances, Bell is a rookie who continues to improve, albeit not fast enough for some.
Neither are list cloggers.
Now you might say Gray is. But decency says you offer more than just one year to a bloke you’re asking to move interstate (not sure whether he has family).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List sizes could be anything from 35 to 45.
If it is 45 players, Norf will set a record.

In the 10th round Norf select 'Gavin Urquhart'. We are really happy to get Gav in the 10th round as we think he is a better player then Scott Pendelbury.

Shotgun approach.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I don't agree with the negative views on Bell. His contested possession numbers can be huge. Tackle numbers huge. In terms of endurance, speed, efforts and sprints he is always up the top. If there is one thing that became clear as the season wore on, it was that a good side does not simply consist of papleys. There must be the grunt workers, the tacklers, and the extractors. Bell is one of these and I know he is very highly regarded by the swans for these traits.

I don't agree with the negative views on Bell. His contested possession numbers can be huge. Tackle numbers huge. In terms of endurance, speed, efforts and sprints he is always up the top. If there is one thing that became clear as the season wore on, it was that a good side does not simply consist of papleys. There must be the grunt workers, the tacklers, and the extractors. Bell is one of these and I know he is very highly regarded by the swans for these traits.
I agree Ralphy. We will be sitting here posting about what a consistent player he has become in 5 years time. I feel he is following a similar path that Harry Cunningham had to follow. Harry had many critics on here too while trying to learn the role asked of him by the coaches. A fantastic top 10 finish now in the B & F for HC which will be the same path I believe Belly will take.

We should just let them learn their roles & develop their games. Before we know it they will have played 50 games & away they go. Not all, but I'm sure Bell will be a much loved & respected Swan one day.
Just checked & he has only played 10 games in total.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back